I'm gonna get this off my chest once and for all.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Do not read this if you are an avid harry potter fan.

Harry Potter is way overrated and excruciatingly annoying. My parents pushed the books on me...I read the first 3...thought they were stupid. I just don't get the whole phenomenon. *braces for attacks by Harry Potter supporters*

Feel better now, dear? :hug: :)

I haven't read any of the books, but do enjoy the movies. However, I fully support your right to loathe Harry & his ilk. :D

Last edited:
i'm a huge fan of harry potter.

i'm behind on the books because i started them later than everyone else in the world (i just finished goblet last week) and i always go to the midnight showing of any potter film. (two more days!)

but i have absolutely no feelings either way about someone else disliking them.

to each his own, happy hooray. :happy:

for the record, though, i do strongly disagree that the books are "overrated"

rowling's talent and imagination, and her ability to capture the imagination of most of the world's youth (and plenty of adults for that matter) is an incredible, brilliant gift that i would hardly call "overrated."

but again, to each his own :D

I love them, but I think it has more to do with the memories attached to them. It seems like a new HP comes out every summer when we're on our annual family vacation at the cottage, one of my favorite places on earth, and I always read a HP while there. It's been part of our family for a long time. Before the first one even came out, my aunt tipped us off (she works in childrens lit) and told us a new series from England was coming out and she felt it would be huge...

If you need something more "deep" and with a more challenging theme, try Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. :up:

Last edited:
I hated book one, so I didn't read any of the other ones, despite everyone being all 'OMG EACH BOOK IS BETTER THAN THE LAST' and such. I couldn't care less. The first one failed to hook me, I'm not buying into the rest of the series.

Cheers Democrat

I confess I never finished the first book and never picked up any others. I've seen the first 2 movies but didn't really like them either. I've got nothing against Harry Potter though.

Muggsy said:

I've never been interested in Harry potter books... I've seen the movies, but for me are "popcorn" movies.

That's pretty much how I feel although I do genuinely enjoy the movies. I guess I should at least look at the first book to see what the big deal is about but I read a lot for my work and just don't have time.

I am 27 and a high school teacher...I :heart: Harry Potter books! They are so much fun to read!

I agree they may be a tad bit overrated..they are not well written, but just alot of fun.

I cannot get into the movies:tsk:

It's cool if you don't like Harry Potter but I love it. Hey, I thought the Phantom of the Opera movie kinda sucked. :wink:

Just be careful with the word "overrated", it just means that you don't like it when so many others do. But saying overrated makes it sound like others are wrong.

I think that that much hype for a childrens book in general is a bit much. I mean, Harry Potter should not get more press than world hunger, IMO. But in their own right don't think they're overrated. I can't really think of many childrens lit series' that I think are better than HP....

I really liked the Harry Potter books but I got harrassed so much from people at church for reading them that I just sort of stopped being interested publicly :madspit:
havent read the newest one but it looks to be a good one.
Im looking forward to seeing the movie :yes: The book was great
I read book one of the "his dark materials" trilogy and couldnt find the others at my library so one day I need to finish that.

u2bonogirl said:
I really liked the Harry Potter books but I got harrassed so much from people at church for reading them that I just sort of stopped being interested publicly :madspit:
I read book one of the "his dark materials" trilogy and couldnt find the others at my library so one day I need to finish that.

Church people that rag on Harry Potter. :down: I mean, c'mon, don't they have better things to do?

Just want to warn you, with being religious and all, you might want to be prepared for how nasty His Dark Materials gets. I knew it was anti-religion, but it actually becomes anti-God. Offended me and I'm not religious.

I really like Harry Potter as well. I started reading them in August and I'm now reading the 5th book. It's my least favorite so far, but I'm not very far into it. I used to be one of those Christians who thought Harry Potter was evil. Then I thought, how can I judge something I know practically nothing about?

So my husband read them and loved them. He works at a Christian theatre and made fake book covers for them so people wouldn't be upset. One of the book covers was a fake cover for a fake book called, "How the Stork Stole our Children." He's so creative. He made one for each book.

Then we watched the movies. I think they're definitely worth the time.

Has anyone read Artemis Fowl or Eragon? I've thought about reading them next.

Last edited:
I can't get into fiction :shurg: And I have a hard enough time reading anything :uhoh:

I mean, the HP movies are interesting I guess. And I read the first 2 books.... but...... I'm not a great fan. I don't really mind those people who are.... as long as they have a decent grasp of reality.

There are some soft spots in my for fantasy, but......
Only if it's somewhat realistic :laugh:

I don't think Harry Potter is the least bit evil, I just don't get the hype surrounding it, and I think it's kind of silly :shrug: Just my opinion and this thread was basically just for me to vent.

U2democrat said:
I don't think Harry Potter is the least bit evil, I just don't get the hype surrounding it, and I think it's kind of silly :shrug: Just my opinion and this thread was basically just for me to vent.

I can see why people would think it was silly if they're not into fantasy and that type of thing. I love fantasy and superheroes. Did you like the Lord of the Rings movies?

Harry Potter is not just a book series, it's a pop culture phenomenon, and for that reason, I think has more merit than it would just based on its literary value.

I thought the first one was decent. I read the next two and thought they were also decent and somewhat enjoyable.

They're not exactly the best literature ever but it's just fun to read.

The movies however are crap even though the first one was enjoyable.

I've never liked the Harry Potter books. The characters come off slightly annoying to me, but it is good that kids are reading something I guess. And adults.

u2bonogirl said:

why did the people at church know that you were reading HP????

u2bonogirl said:
I really liked the Harry Potter books but I got harrassed so much from people at church for reading them that I just sort of stopped being interested publicly.

That's unfortunate. If I were you, I'd pull The Satanic Verses out of my bag the following week :D

foray

u2bonogirl said:

They were on your case for HP and not the Pullman book?!?! That's so rediculous. HP is just pretend; Pullman gets into some seriously messed up shit (well, you have to read all three to get the full picture)...I mean, his premise is that the 'God' we envision doesn't exist and god is really just the first human being who told everyone else after him that he'd created them....and lots of other anti-Church with a capital C stuff.

It's all fine u2democrat...as long as you don't want to burn 'em or ban 'em!

:ohmy: :wink:

Muggsy said:

why did the people at church know that you were reading HP????
Because I asked people if they had read the latest book :laugh:
It all started when Pat Robertson said something about it on the 700 club.
I can understand where parents wouldnt want their kids playing witches and spells and that kind of stuff but its entertaining and imaginative fiction :shrug:
Its all up to the parents to decide what they think is good for their kids or not, and my parents were historically more lenient than most of them.

Back
Top Bottom