I'm afraid I'm going to get fired...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Please help me out on this one.

I live on campus at my college and I work part-time at the bookstore. Last night I was up pretty late; I was working on a paper for a while, but mostly I just couldn't sleep. This morning I woke up and my clock said 11:11 a.m. I was supposed to be at work at 8:30. I had set my alarm clock, but I guess it hadn't gone off; it was still set when I woke up.

I called my boss immediately of course, apologized and explained the situation. And of course, she was pretty pissed and told me not to come in for the rest of the day. What I didn't know is that one of my co-workers was alone in the store all morning! So I have to come in tomorrow morning to have a talk about responsibility. She has alluded to the fact that she might not re-hire me next semester.

And to top it all off, I was late every day last week (though only by a few minutes), and a few months ago I did something similar--weirdly enough, when the same co-worker was in the store alone.

So needless to say I'm pretty scared to go into work tomorrow. It wouldn't particularly shock me if I got fired, knowing that she probably has a pretty good reason. But it does make me angry because:

1.) It wasn't like I was out partying last night.
2.) I did make an effort to get up and be at work, though the effort failed.
3.) Why didn't my co-worker call me when she realized I was very very late? I live on campus, I could have been there in 5 minutes!!!

Argh. I'm so confused.

------------------
Well, the God I believe in isn't short on cash, mister. --Bono

But a day will come
In this dawning age
When an honest man
Sees an honest wage.
--The Edge

That sucks, hon. *hug*

I work on campus too at a community college. Usually, schools are pretty forgiving with student workers and usually always hire back the next semester. If you've been a good worker up until this point, I don't think they will hold this against you. The only time I ever saw some of my co-workers not hired back at the next semester was after a semester or two worth of being a stupid slacker.

Good luck!

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

Originally posted by paxetaurora:
3.) Why didn't my co-worker call me when she realized I was very very late? I live on campus, I could have been there in 5 minutes!!!

I don't really have any pearls of wisdom for you but I do kinda wonder about this last one. Maybe she wants you to get fired. Have you thought about that?

------------------
When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

Thatd be typical of the success-driven, stab-your-friend-in-the-back-to-further-your-own-career world that we live in... scuse em while I go rage some more...

Well, regarding your alarm clock, what could have happened was that you were soooo tired that you turned it off when you were half-asleep (e.g., you chalk it up to a "dream"). You went back to sleep immediately, and you don't remember turning it off. I have done this before, faintly remembering having turned an alarm off...

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

I think your alarm went off but you slept right thru it! You were that tired. This has happened to me before. Well, don't beat yourself up over it. You'll know next time not to sleep so late if it will affect your performance at work. I hope your boss isn't one of those anus-pinched people. All the best. It'd help to pray and 'surrender' what is about to happen to God. That's what I do when I'm in deep shit.

foray

Foray, that's a beautiful idea. In fact, the rest of my day today went pretty well, and I think God is with me here. Whatever happens, happens. I was only going to be working there a few more days this semester anyway.

------------------

But a day will come
In this dawning age
When an honest man
Sees an honest wage.
--The Edge

I don't know, and that does bug me. We've always gotten along pretty well, and we talk a lot at work. Still, though...

------------------

But a day will come
In this dawning age
When an honest man
Sees an honest wage.
--The Edge

What a nightmare. The wait until you get the 'talk' must really be horrible. My only advice would be to be really straight forward. Keep the explanation simple, tell her about your alarm clock and how you felt worse when you realised your co-worker didnt call you. If you show how genuinely sorry you are she will find it harder to be harsh.

I am one of those people that turn the alarm off in my sleep. I found the only way to overcome it was to leave it at the foot of the bed, or near the door so I had to actually wake up to turn it off. This also stops those awful incidents of turning it off and thinking 'I'll just lay here for a few minutes' only to wake up realising 2 hours have passed. I hate that.

Good luck!

Thanks.
smile.gif
I went into work this morning (on time! Call the presses), and actually, *nothing* happened. Not even a talk. I worked all morning with nary a word.

This means either my boss is over it, or she's waiting until the end of the week to fire me.

Back
Top Bottom