I think its time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
I'm thinking its time we said goodbye to my dear old cat Matty. He's 17, 18 in January. He's not 'sick' per se I dont think, though its hard to tell. A couple of years ago we had Stussy put down at age 12 and they grew up together. Matty was depressed after that. Moped etc. He picked himself up and time went on. Now though, he weighs about 2-3 kilos maybe when he used to weigh a bit over 8 kg (massive cat). He eats, but very little, only mouthfuls at a time, snacking mostly. I dont think he drinks enough but I get worried if my pets aren't lapping at their water buckets 5 times a day lol. Lately he's been getting more and more unsteady on his feet, and last week or 2 having what we call seizures where his back and or front legs twist up and he seems to be spasming. They last only 5-10 seconds at a time and he purrs straight away when we go to him to give him a scratch or help him lie down so he is more comfortable. Its been the last 6 months or so that he started going down hill but its definately accelerated over the last few weeks. You may be thinking we should have got him to a vet, but until lately I think it has mostly been old age catching him up. I can't really look at it objectively as much now, while much of it has been fairly quick, over the larger part of 6 months to even a year ago it has been small changes. I'm sure the real answer in what we should do would be seen if we had a 'before' and 'now' to compare to.

Its conflicting. I don't want him to suffer. I hoped he would die peacefully at home curled up on his rug with Abby Skank flaunting herself over him as she loves to do, but I am worried leaving it may be prolonging what is only inevitable anyway. There's also guilt. I've had 17 long years with him, I dont want to say goodbye unless it is really necessary but of course I dont want him suffering. He is dying. I just dont know how soon. I dont know whether to help him this one last time by easing his possible suffering. I dont even know if he is suffering. He seems happy enough, though not really well. What do you do when clarity is gone? A trip to the vet to find whatever is actually going on will only distress him greatly. Is it worth it? I just dont know anymore.

:(

if it's any comfort, I know you love that cat dearly and that should help you to make the 'right' decision
(which indeed could be anything from taking him to the vet to letting him stay in the place he loves to be)

:hug:

Your cat is probably dying, although I wouldn't equate not eating and drinking with suffering. In fact, that is often one's body's way of dying peacefully. Food and water often make it more painful.

Humans do the same exact thing.

Melon

If you want a second honest opinion, you really should take him in for an exam, but be sure to tell the vet your story like you have to us. Who knows, his decrease in appetite may just be that he has some sore teeth and it hurts to eat. Not sure about these 'seizures' but if he seems unaffected afterward, in my mind that is a better sign than being out of it for several hours after. The car ride might serve as a test too - if he is not stressed a little bit, he probably is feeling really bad.

I'm sorry sweetie, this is one of the worst parts of my job, helping people decide when the time has come. It's ultimately your decision, and 17 is a good age for a cat, but there could be a relatively simple answer - just can't say without having a look at him. :hug:

bonosloveslave said:
If you want a second honest opinion, you really should take him in for an exam, but be sure to tell the vet your story like you have to us. Who knows, his decrease in appetite may just be that he has some sore teeth and it hurts to eat. Not sure about these 'seizures' but if he seems unaffected afterward, in my mind that is a better sign than being out of it for several hours after. The car ride might serve as a test too - if he is not stressed a little bit, he probably is feeling really bad.

I'm sorry sweetie, this is one of the worst parts of my job, helping people decide when the time has come. It's ultimately your decision, and 17 is a good age for a cat, but there could be a relatively simple answer - just can't say without having a look at him. :hug:

I agree. He should be taken to a vet and the vet will be able to tell you if he has a 'real' problem or if its just old age. They should do blood work to check all his organs to make sure they are functioning normally. Cats normally do not drink a lot of water anyway so I dont think that necessarily means a cause for alarm on that part.

You will know when its time to make that decision. If his quality of life is not as it should be, not eating, irregular litterbox behaviour, not playful etc there could be something seriously wrong with him. :slant: I know its hard, I had to put a cat down last year and it was just heartwrenching.

Good luck, please get him to the vet if you can, and keep us posted :( :hug: :hug:

:hug:Angela...a good innings for a moggy, you'll know when it's time and matty will be grateful.

I figured it must be a sad part of being a vet, as BLS said. I paid the balance of Gus' account this week and made a Thank You card for my vet. I put a picture of Potter and Gus on the front and a dove with a leaf in her mouth and told him how much I appreciated his professional and merciful abilities and that they are now together in their favourite wintersun spot, Forever at Peace. It can't be easy...it isn't easy, we love them so much, they give us so much..
Best wishes

Thankyou so much everyone for your kind replies, and bls for your knowledge. We spoke to the family about it yesterday and they all agree its time for at least a vet visit. The trip in the car will be tough on him, but they will give us the direction we need. We've been to this vet so many times for all the other animals but I dont think they even know Matty exists. :huh: We're expecting to find a few things wrong, if it is anything to severe we wont bring him home. I dont want him upset and heavily medicated to give a few more weeks of what is looking pretty inevitable.
Thanks again, it really appreciated. :hug:

Your doing the right thing in not letting him suffer if there is anything wrong with him that would involve lots of medication :hug:

:hug: It's always hard not knowing what's wrong with your pet. Sometimes you wish they could tell you what's wrong ... but I know you will make the right decision. I hope everything goes well with the vet and that Matty isn't too upset by it. 17 years is a long time for a cat, and I know he appreciates having had you there through it all! :)

Back
Top Bottom