I need some advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For Honor said:

really? I can respect that. You must really like them, then. I don't know because I've never worn them, but like, what's the best part about high heels, from a girls standpoint?

Well, I just like the way they look. It's a fun way to kind of show your personality. At school, I'm kinda known for my heels. :wink: And, obviously, they make me taller. Which is a good thing!

Ok...meditation.

We did something called "Mindfulness Meditation"

The instructor drew us a diagram that kinda looked like a fried egg. In the middle..she had what we call "out true inner self" and there were things like accepting, trusting, joyful, compassionate, patient, happy, loving, intuitive, creative, etc.

Around it..she had what we call the "mud that covers up our true potential": frustration, hurt, guilt, selfishness, shame, judgement, greed, hatred, anger, etc.

What meditation does is help is to remove the mud and let out inner selves shine through.

It's all about seeing the mud and letting it go without judgement.

You see the mud by concentrating on your breathing...like that you can achieve a better state of calm. Once you have achieved that, you focus on other "mud" things..(like an itch..or a certain pain) and when you focus on it hard enough without judging it...you actually feel it go away.

The sheet also said things like...the more we resist something in the mud, the more suffering we experience.

R X P = S Resistance X Pain = Suffering

M X E = Puridication (the removal of the mud)

Mindfulness x Equanimity (seeing the mud and letting it go without judging it) = Puridication

cool... keep going if you have any more!!! :hyper:

I'm gonna go now, but I'll check back in tomorrow, like always! Have a good night!

:hmm: a reputation for heels... I suppose I know a few girls like that...

=

You see the mud by concentrating on your breathing...like that you can achieve a better state of calm. Once you have achieved that, you focus on other "mud" things..(like an itch..or a certain pain) and when you focus on it hard enough without judging it...you actually feel it go away.

:up: Do you think you'll be able to use that on other things in your life? I never thought about it, but I guess I've experienced some of that sort of thing, though but in a different way.

Goodnight, April! :wave:

I'll do some more research....the subject is fascinating....:yes:

For Honor said:
:up: Do you think you'll be able to use that on other things in your life? I never thought about it, but I guess I've experienced some of that sort of thing, though but in a different way.

I really think I might be able to use it...but it's harder than it sounds....especially when that "mud" is really dry and hard...so it's not as easy to break.

----------------------------------------------------

I have to wear plain black shoes everyday in school....:sigh:

Yeah....it's the only part of the uniform I don't like...I wish I could wear my boots...or green shoes...

Hey, I like my green chucks :wink:

they don't have any dress down days?

Well, then again, I guess I wouldn't expect them to, not if they enforced a dress code/uniform :hmm:

Oh well. I don't know if I would have prefered a uniform or not. Probably I would have liked to, because there were so many people at my school

We do have dress down days...they're usually for fundraising purposes..like you pay $2 and you don't have to wear your uniform.

I pretty much like the uniform...but sometimes they're too strict. Like with the shoes...or wearing coloured shirts under your white shirt.

I don't get that...they're very strict about the uniform...but worse things happen and they just seem to ignore them....and this is a catholic school.

It is good that they show other religions at Catholic school... I like that idea.

About Buddhism..........
and maybe I'll research this myself.... but....... after you've got a grasp on your mood, your desires and such, reducing your needs/suffering......

I wonder, what should you really do with your life?
Personally, I am somewhat conflicted in that regard.

I'll have to try to find some things out...

I'm so glad we don't have school uniforms. I wrote a whole persuasive essay on that subject! :lol: I suppose if you've been restricted to wearing a uniform for your whole school life, it wouldn't be that bad, though. I just can't imagine having to wear one though.

--------

How do you concentrate on your breathing??? What do you think about? I guess I understand the concept, just not how to do it. If that makes any sense. :huh:

Concentrating on breathing isn't really that hard. If you are a runner you probably do it without even knowing it. But for some meditation, it is about taking longer, fuller breaths. I'm no expert on this subject, though. Some common things are breathing in through your nose, and out through your mouth, and thinking about the oxygen being cycled through your body. Or energy movement, etc etc. Again, I really don't know much about it, just some things I've heard hear and there.

So... It's storming here. And the power's out. I'm trying to do my homework by the light of a kerosene lamp. Wonderful.

--------------

You ever think about trust??? It's an amazing thing. I'm thinking about it, because tonight really tested my trust in others. In winterguard, we could have all hurt each other really badly. We were lined up very close, and were tossing flags, rifles and sabres (in case you don't know, flags are on 6 foot long metal poles, rifles are made of wood, and sabres are real swords wrapped in tape). We had approximately a 2 foot margin of error. It was insanely scary. If you've never heard of winterguard maybe you won't understand. We all had to put our trust in each other. If one person messed up, it would have caused a lot of people to mess up and get really hurt. We only had slight injuries, which is to be expected when there are objects flying through the air. The scary thing is, nobody's perfect. We are all going to mess up sometime. But we had to trust that the people around us were doing all that they could to be perfect. Trust...

There was a little part in the HTDAAB book about trust...
===========
We win, We lose, It's perfect.
Trust exists everywhere, even in things that are not 100% trustworthy. Some things can only exist because of trust, like money. Going to the check-out counter at the market is an act of faith. 1 in 28 items are priced incorrectly. But it's random. Over time it evens out. We win, we lose, it's perfect.
===========

I never thought about money in regards to trust.

How is winterguard going?
I heard a storm front is passing up to the NE, so I think what is coming from Indiana is coming my way in NY... I think, if I remember seeing the news correctly.

Personally, I guess I have a difficult time trusting other people. Not so much difficult, I guess more so I just don't rely on it, or expect it. But to each is own.

THE POWER'S BACK ON!!! :hyper:

Now I can see to do my homework.

It's not really storming here, most of the severe stuff was in southern Indiana. I think there were even some tornadoes. But it is very windy, which is probably why the power went out.

Trust is crazy. In some cases, you can't expect it or rely on it. Other times, your situation demands trust, whether it's there or not. You kind of have to believe in it in order to get through...

I love that quote from the HTDAAB book. I read the book all the time, cuz it's so interesting. There is a lot of good stuff to think about in there...

I've had a busy couple of days...yesterday I was so behind on my work I actually didn't post!! I don't know if it's a good thing...but I did get some work done.

I've been thinking a lot about all these issues that I'm having with my friend. Last night I was discussing it with another friend...and it looks like I'm not the only one feeling this way. We talked a lot about it and realised that there are just too many negative things coming out of this whole thing. But I still don't know what to do about it.....

Today I went to that elementary school where we're teaching a science lesson...the lesson's not that bad...but almost everyone in my group has a complete lack of motivation...it's like they don't care if they get a bad mark. Of course I care because this is physics...I have to do my best if I'm not going to drop the course. It has something to do with structures and pulleys...I think we can make a fun lesson plan out of it...if they all cooperate.

Today we also had one of those dress-down days :yes:

But I know that the next two days will suck. I have to actually go to my classes and see my teachers...for someone who's behind you don't know how scary that can be.:reject:

The positive thing is that I wont have to deal with my "friend" because we don't have any classes together...and that on saturday it's my friend's birthday party!! :dance:

It seems to be getting colder and colder but we're still not getting any snow...!!! Where is the snow???!!!! Oohh wait...the forecast is only predicting some flurries....:(

This year all my schedules seem to be clashing. I was supposed to have my religion retreat on the same day that we have to teach the class...so I'll have to talk to my religion teacher and see if I can go on another date.:grumpy:

Yeah, I got some small flurry action here last night, or 2 nights ago, but nothing major :(

The more time you spend on earth, the more you understand people. But then again, the more you realize what you don't know, and I am finding out t hat that is a veryimportant thing. Because after you differentiate between knowing and not knowing, you sorta get to actually understanding what you need to know, versus what you don't need to know. A lot of it is relevant :blahblah: But that's just my opinion....... *steps off the soap box*

working with unmotivated people in a group is aweful :hug:
Especially if they expect you to do most of it. I think that is sometimes worse than if no one cares, period, because if they expect YOU to do it, then it's even more.... I don't know......

one of those things....

I'm trying to motivate my group...we only have two weeks to do this and one week to e-mail the lesson plan to the class teacher. I've ususally worked with motivated people...but this time it looks like I'll have to take a leadership role.

I guess it's a good thing....I've never been much of a leader.....but I'm up for the challenge....:yes:

Any advice on how to motivate people?:wink:

It's snowing! Yay! I'm fine with it being cold, as long as it's snowing... Too bad it started at school, when I couldn't go outside. Most of my rooms don't even have windows. :( But, now the snow is even gathering on the ground!!! :hyper:

I have been practicing piano for what feels like eternity. More procrastination. I have lessons on Wednesdays. But of course, I don't practice until right before my lesson. Then I go unprepared. Of course, sometimes I get lucky and have an amazing lesson without practicing, but it doesn't usually work that way. This is especially bad when you are doing a group 1 solo piece. It's very difficult... and I was supposed to get movement 3 memorized. I didn't. I've been trying for the last 1/2 hour, but at some point, your brain just can't handle any more. It just shuts down. :angry:

Well, yes, I'll tell you, working with a group that doesn't care is VERY frustrating. We're doing this group project in spanish, and one person who got stuck in my group really doesn't care. On sunday, he was supposed to come to my house at 2:00 to film. It was 3:00 before he showed up. And I think I know the reason why he was late. I bet he was typing up his script for the two parts of the project he was responsible for. The script was supposed to be turned in like 2 weeks ago. And his was really short and really crappy. :grumpy: And I hate it, because even though he may not care about the grade, I do. Yet he doesn't even want to try at all. :mad:

Motivating others... hmmm. I happen to be our marching band's drum major, so I should be able to think of some stuff. But I'm having a block right now. I'll have to look up some things from drum major camp for you. As for being a leader, GO AHEAD AND STEP IT UP! You'll be surprised how strong you are when you put yourself out there and take charge.

I want snow!!!!!!!!

I wonder if what you're getting is coming our way...that would be great for me! :hyper:

------------------------------------------------

How many instruments do you play? I wish i still played an instrument....I've been thinking about starting to play violin again but getting the violin is the problem.....:sigh:

---------------------------------------------------

If you ever need any help with your spanish you can always ask me...I'm perfectly fluent in it...and I speak it every day at home. :yes:

Okay, here's some random stuff from drum major camp... I don't know if it will help or not.

-Teaching is the art of presenting material and making sure it is understood

-If you fail to plan then plan to fail.

-You can't lead others until you lead yourself.

-Eye contact is crucial when teaching.

-Levels of Learning:
-don't learn
-learn material if well taught
-learn everything if well taught
-learn everything associated with material
-draw conclusions and apply
-watch great teachers and copy them
-create your own material

-Plan to be a teacher, no matter what you do.

-You control the environment, it doesn't control you.

-You can't let people see you uncomfortable.

-Support people before they demontrate support for you.

-The 1st thing you have to do in order to be successful is to get a rosponse.

**This one isn't really related, but I like it**
-Criticism (and praise) is bubble gum: chew on it, then spit it out.
**reminds me of discotheque:wink: **

============================

Sorry most of that isn't really about motivation. I didn't realize how much was emphasis was put on teaching. But maybe you can get something out of it...

You're fluent in spanish?! Awesome! I want to eventually become fluent... I know that takes a lot of work though. I've only had 3 years of spanish, but I will be taking spanish 4 next year, and will probably minor in spanish in college.

I guess I'm a pretty musical person. :wink: I play a lot of instruments... piano, flute, piccolo, handbells, a little marimba, a little clarinet, and I REALLY want to learn to play guitar. I have to get one first, though. :lol:

I love learning new languages....It opens so many doors...I want to learn german and japanese...like that I would know 4 languages!!!
----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that....I'm sure I can get something out of it. Do you have any experience teaching grade 4's?

I started learning Japanese, but I didn't get very far because I checked out some stuff from the library and then it was due, and .... long story short, learning japanese seems to be a very popular thing in this town.

=

I love the piano. Someday I will learn it, when I have time for lessons and such. I'm a musical person, I think, but I just don't....... hmm..... how should I say this........ I don't make it a priority, and that's why I do not know how to play many insturments. I know a few songs on guitar, and I like the drums, and bass is easy. I like singing! Yes, there you go, that's something, sort of. I wish I was in the chorus at school, I know I would have liked that.

There's something about the piano, though, which really puts it in a class of it's own. Maybe it's the elegance or something, I don't quite know.

There was an album put out a month ago or so that dealt with a bunch of U2 songs done on Piano, and form what little snippet I heard, it sounded great. They even did PRIDE on piano, which they managed to make sound good, and I was impressed. I'll have to get that album someday.

=

It was dark all day... days like that are strange because it never seems like the sun is out there, and I think that affects my internal clock alittle.

:shrug:

===========

The "fortune" on my laptop reads

"A leader is powerful to the degree he (she) empowers others."
I think that is mostly true.

Putting off studying for my history test tomorrow... :whistle:

You know, I should really do my homework earlier and go to bed. I wonder how much the amount of sleep I get affects me... But I get enough sleep I think. More would be ideal, but I get 6-7 hours usually. I feel tired a lot during school... but of course sometimes school is just boring, like watching 'Moby Dick'. :| But I really do wonder if I should be getting more sleep...

WHen I first started not getting enough slepe for school, like in 9th grade, say, I noticed it in gym. My coordination was all off. BUt then I realized that I do need sleep, and how much it affects everything, especially mental performance. Anyone ever be well prepared for a test, and then stay up too later, etc, the night before? It totally wipes everything out.

It's amazing how the body adapts to different circumstances. I don't reccomend pushing yourself too far, but I think it's a good idea for everyone to know his or her personal limits in regards to sleep, and how much you need to spend time around other people vs alone, things like that. That's part of HS, and I didn't realize it until I had graduated.

But you're always learning, especially aboutyourself.

Back
Top Bottom