I May Have Hit a Job Market Low...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
The temp agency I registered for may have found me a long-term summer position, but it is through a business-to-business research and marketing firm. I wouldn't be telemarketing, thankfully, but I would still call business to "confirm information." Blech...but I would make $10/hr. *plus* commission.

Oh to think I may have to use my "melon" charm for the forces of evil. But when you live in an especially expensive city...

Melon

I fund-raised over the phone for a week at college.

It was mostly for the veternary school.

I had to talk to old women with a lot of cats and I hate cats.

I quit after two weeks.

I am not a people person.

I just saw a movie with Vince Vaugn about selling over the phone. It wasn't half bad (it was abot a third bad)

I think it was called "The Prime Gig." Check it out.

I saw it on the Independent Film Channel...

Cats dont like you either

3375%3B56723232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B94%3D65%3A%3Dxroqdf%3E2323396%3C43%3A8%3Bot1lsi

:wave:

Sorry melon... carry on :wink:

Ah, memories of the good ol' rockin' rich Reagan 80's where my temp jobs in NYC paid $20-$25/hr to smile at people from behind the receptionist's desk...and everywhere I worked I got offered a permanent job and had the luxury of saying no.

One of my job market lows was when I first moved to NM 6 years ago and worked for a small press (after working for a big publishing house in NYC I ridiculously thought I should do the same kind of work in NM)...they published travel guides and I had to call the businesses listed in the guides and ask them to place coupons in our book. It was humiliating. I went over to my friend's house after work every day and laid on his couch and cried.

But now I have the best job of my life, so things change. :)

joyfulgirl said:
Ah, memories of the good ol' rockin' rich Reagan 80's where my temp jobs in NYC paid $20-$25/hr to smile at people from behind the receptionist's desk...and everywhere I worked I got offered a permanent job and had the luxury of saying no.

One of my job market lows was when I first moved to NM 6 years ago and worked for a small press (after working for a big publishing house in NYC I ridiculously thought I should do the same kind of work in NM)...they published travel guides and I had to call the businesses listed in the guides and ask them to place coupons in our book. It was humiliating. I went over to my friend's house after work every day and laid on his couch and cried.

But now I have the best job of my life, so things change. :)

Damn, that sounds cool.

I could not be a bitch for $25/hr. :|

Look, I can post like Achtung bubba

melon said:
I wouldn't be telemarketing....

melon said:
*plus* commission.

Not telemarketing...but you get commission. :yes: :no:

I have hit job market lows twice.....
Working as a temp for an ambulance manufacturer, calling on Fire Departments to see if the piece of crap the bought from us is ready to be replaced. :scream:

Then...taking a part-time job that pays hourly doing something you hardly need a H.S. education for. Sure, it has turned into a full time job and a move, and I enjoy it - but it is far and away from using my college education. Nevermind paying me thousands of dollars less than my former job. :sad:

It is telemarketing, but to businesses. I would pester CFOs and IT heads at work, rather than bothering people at home. I might do it, but I have an interview with Fleet Bank tomorrow morning regarding a teller position potentially. I would rather do that. Wish me luck!

Melon

When I got out of college w/ BA in 2 fields... I aimed low: $10/hr. temping.

:|

joyfulgirl said:

I'm afraid this seriously jeopardizes our future.

I did not realize that we had one - your attention seems to be *sporadic* at best.

I still hate cats - sorry (mostly because they close my throat, make my eyes burn and close and make me sneeze like a madman) besides that - I guess they are relatively cute.

I went to the teller thing and it seemed like a good potential.

What I didn't like is that they had a group thing where you watched a video and took a multiple choice test. I generally did good on it, but not only did I not know what the bank's expectations were for their tellers (how can I assume that they expect the same as at my other bank?), but there were at least five different ways I could have answered some of those questions--but multiple choice doesn't allow you to do that.

I'd like to smack the bureaucrat who came up with that idea. I hope that I did well and didn't overanalyze the test. I think I might be *too good* of a teller and have forgotten what non-tellers would expect at a basic level.

Oh well...wish me luck. Theoretically, they ignore your previous experience and resume if you fail that test. Although I know that there is often a disparity between what they tell you and what really happens, if what they said was indeed true and I fail that test and not get a job, I will be incredibly pissed off at them.

Let's hope for the best...

Melon

Back
Top Bottom