I dont like weddings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do hate weddings, love receptions though. But the costs are ridiculous. During a 2 year period back at the beginning of 2001, I was in 12 weddings, 12 plane tickets, 12 tux rental(for they were all different) 12 gifts...you get the picture. By the end of the whole stint I could have paid college tuition for one of my non existing kids.

Weddings suck...

It's a shame that so many people(read: women) spend so much money and so much time on a wedding. It's a shame because of one simple truth, as Jerry Seinfeld said in one of the truest bits he's ever done: "Nobody wants to go to your wedding. It's sad and it's sorry but it's true. Nobody wants to go to your wedding. Nobody. You know what they do when they get the invitation? They say 'Goddamn it, that's a Saturday! That's MY Saturday!'".

starsgoblue said:
Oh but something I would like to bitch and moan about....

Ryan's older brother is getting remarried next week. Even though Ryan's family is large and all lives in Columbus (not to mention all of the fiancees family with the exception of her mother)...the wedding is going to be in Tampa, Florida. Like I have $$ to blow on plane tickets to Florida in the summer. :angry: Not to mention having to board my pets and take time off of work that is attempting to pay for my own wedding that isn't paid off. I'm extremely bitter about the whole thing.

Yeah, my best friend called me 2 months ago about his wedding...which was supposed to be next summer. That would be perfect! But nope, it's in December...in Montana...should be beautiful. The cost of me getting there however? Not beautiful...

So, I politely declined...:(

I detest weddings. I sit through them and I admit, usually all I am thinking about is the food afterwords at the reception. Problem is, I also am thinking about how much longer AFTER the wedding I am going to have to wait for food. I do not like weddings much, but I absolutely despise 2 to 9 hour receptions(note exaggeration).

I am really looking forward to one wedding:lol: . Date unknown currently.

I have been to a few. They are kind of fun. Idk, there are a lot of extra things that go on at a wedding that are unnecessary, but they are fun. They are kind of pointless if you think about it, I mean really think about it. But, whatever. It's fun to show your appreciation to the people that are meaningful in your life.

I thought that the bride/groom buy all that type of stuff?

Last edited:
See, I really don't mind the reception part of the wedding. Some of my friends have gotten married in the past 2 years. The receptions have been so much fun because we're all together and there's an open bar. :drunk: And then there's always the after-party. :D

I guess if you didn't know anyone it would be dreadful though.

With my friends that have gotten married, many of them wanted simple weddings/receptions, but the problem came from the parents of the bride and groom.

The parents had mile long lists of people they "had" to invite and kept making "suggestions," etc.

Hell, even my mom said that her wedding to my dad was not at all what she wanted, but was more what her mom and mother-in-law wanted.

JessicaAnn said:
With my friends that have gotten married, many of them wanted simple weddings/receptions, but the problem came from the parents of the bride and groom.

The parents had mile long lists of people they "had" to invite and kept making "suggestions," etc.

Hell, even my mom said that her wedding to my dad was not at all what she wanted, but was more what her mom and mother-in-law wanted.

that is very true for many of the weddings i've attended/participated. it is unfortunate, because it puts a strain on relationships and people get really stressed out over nothing. my own mother didn't have the sort of wedding she dreamed of, and has since been talking about all these things she wants done for MY wedding. :lol: little does she know...

i mean, i guess the mother (in-law) is just wanting the best for her child, but living vicariously and projecting isn't good for anybody!

namkcuR said:
It's a shame that so many people(read: women) spend so much money and so much time on a wedding. It's a shame because of one simple truth, as Jerry Seinfeld said in one of the truest bits he's ever done: "Nobody wants to go to your wedding. It's sad and it's sorry but it's true. Nobody wants to go to your wedding. Nobody. You know what they do when they get the invitation? They say 'Goddamn it, that's a Saturday! That's MY Saturday!'".

What a crock of shit. When my close friends got married, I could not wait to celebrate with them. I'll have tons of other Saturdays to do my own thing.

Sicy said:

WOW that is impressive!
Thanks! I can't believe I've been married for almost 25 years!

One more thing about my wedding, the reception was at Mr. Browns aunts house and they're very religous and wouldn't allow alcohol of any kind so we had champagne glasses with fruit punch! ( I can look back on it now and laugh) and my wedding dress was borrowed from my cousin :| (It was nice though) who a few years later would be divorced.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

Never heard that before but that's exactly how I feel. Who cares what the food is like, what the music is, if there's flowers on the tables, that this and that matches the other thing. Because No One cares! Even the people that love us dearly, outside of parents (and that's no guarantee), nobody really wants to go to a wedding. And then the minutae of it!! Making sure you buy flowers that are guaranteed to last a certain amount of hours so the bride isn't walking around with a dead boquet. Making sure the transportation covers the correct people. Those scum of the earth Motherfucking DJ's who charge horrid amounts of money to play even more horrid music that no one is going to dance to more than once and will be too drunk to remember anyway...

Oh, and let's not even talk about the cost of booze! You don't want to appear cheap to your friends, but hey having enough money left over to go on a honeymoon somewhere besides, oh, your own back yard would be nice! Not that your best friends will care... $300 a keg. Ack.

And then if you're planning an outdoor wedding? Hey, lets just over complicate an over complicated situation! So we need alter places, alternate directions in invitations etc etc.

I hate weddings!!!!

Mine's on Sept 8.

Last edited:
JessicaAnn said:

Yep. :mad:

Yeah, I don't want a big, stuffy wedding when that day eventually comes :no::sick:

I've been to a few, but two were the best - one was low key and casual, one was big and expensive, but the one great thing about both of them was that they were about having a good time and celebrating, not "omg, are the invitations printed in the right font?!?!!111" Everyone was relaxed and happy, even the brides. Lots of laughs, food, drink, and good memories made :) That's how it should be.

namkcuR said:

Yep! That's it exactly. I can't think of a single wedding I looked forward to going to or really enjoyed when I got there. I just keep thinking "can't you just do the JP thing with the few people who can't manage to worm their way out of it (immediate family and maybe one or two very close friends) and spare the rest of us?" Then they could throw a nice, casual cookout or something (which could even be weeks later) that everyone could actually enjoy instead of dread.

Snowlock said:

Never heard that before but that's exactly how I feel. Who cares what the food is like, what the music is, if there's flowers on the tables, that this and that matches the other thing. Because No One cares! Even the people that love us dearly, outside of parents (and that's no guarantee), nobody really wants to go to a wedding. And then the minutae of it!! Making sure you buy flowers that are guaranteed to last a certain amount of hours so the bride isn't walking around with a dead boquet. Making sure the transportation covers the correct people. Those scum of the earth Motherfucking DJ's who charge horrid amounts of money to play even more horrid music that no one is going to dance to more than once and will be too drunk to remember anyway...

Oh, and let's not even talk about the cost of booze! You don't want to appear cheap to your friends, but hey having enough money left over to go on a honeymoon somewhere besides, oh, your own back yard would be nice! Not that your best friends will care... $300 a keg. Ack.

And then if you're planning an outdoor wedding? Hey, lets just over complicate an over complicated situation! So we need alter places, alternate directions in invitations etc etc.

I hate weddings!!!!

Mine's on Sept 8.

Best of luck to you. That last week prior to the wedding is beyond stressful. Maybe you can turn your phone off :happy:

No spoken words said:

What a crock of shit. When my close friends got married, I could not wait to celebrate with them. I'll have tons of other Saturdays to do my own thing.

You know what? I agree with you. I feel sorry for people who couldn't give a shit about their friends. Actually, I guess I feel sorry for their friends.

I don't understand why people who don't like weddings/receptions/etc don't just RSVP "No thanks."

WildHoneyAlways said:

I don't understand why people who don't like weddings/receptions/etc don't just RSVP "No thanks."

It would certainly make for much smaller weddings! :)

Weddings do tend to get out of hand with some. Thankfully the family ones I have attended were simple but nice. My biggest problem with weddings is the price tag that comes along with getting prepared for one. When I get married I just want a small simple candle light service and a nice reception afterwards. However Mike is Italian so foresee my plans being altered,lol.

Mia you won't have to worry about shallow conversations at my wedding. You will after all be at the head table with the really cool people :sexywink:

Last edited:
WildHoneyAlways said:

Because most of the time its a family member getting married and there is an obligation to attend.

BonosBaby12 said:
Weddings do tend to get out of hand with some. Thankfully the family ones I have attended were simple but nice. My biggest problem with weddings is the price tag that comes along with getting prepared for one. When I get married I just want a small simple candle light service and a nice reception afterwards. However Mike is Italian so foresee my plans being altered,lol.

Mia you won't have to worry about shallow conversations at my wedding. You will after all be at the head table with the really cool people :sexywink:

Whoa!!! Have to save all my money, can't miss that! :combust:

I am not a big fan of weddings either. They are like funerals in sense...

except at funerals quarreling family members temorarily bury hatchets.

At weddings the go to war of the what color the damn napkins should be.

I love going to my family weddings, because the reception is always good for some awesome dancing.

Two of my cousins are getting married next summer ... er, I should clarify that these are two SEPARATE cousins getting married to their beaus. They're not marrying each other. :wink:

Anyway, I'm already looking forward to them, even though I'll have to spend the dough to fly twice.

Then again, any excuse for our family to get together, since we're only all reunited these days for weddings and funerals (although knock on wood, we haven't had one of those for a while).

corianderstem said:

Then again, any excuse for our family to get together, since we're only all reunited these days for weddings and funerals (although knock on wood, we haven't had one of those for a while).

Once you get past a certain age (and I'm past it), it seems you go to more funerals than weddings.

Can't say I like funerals either, but at least I'm not supposed to like them.

Well, I'll be 34 next month, and as of next summer, I'll have been to 4 family weddings in the past five years and (knock on wood) no funerals.

Hm. I've been pretty lucky!

As some of you might know I work in the funeral service industry (though I am not a funeral director!!!)

Anyway ... I am amazed that families will think nothing of spending tens of thousands of dollars on a wedding and don't think twice.

But when it comes to paying tribute to the life of their dear grandma or grandpa or a beloved parent, they will find every way they can to do it "on the cheap."

When compared to other major life cycle events, like births and weddings, even purchasing furniture or a car, funerals are not expensive. A wedding costs at least three times as much; but because it is a happy event, wedding costs are rarely criticized.

A funeral home is a 24-hour, labor-intensive business, with extensive facilities (viewing rooms, chapels, limousines, hearses, etc.), these expenses must be factored into the cost of a funeral.

Moreover, the cost of a funeral includes not only merchandise, like caskets, but the services of a funeral director in making arrangements; filing appropriate forms; dealing with doctors, ministers, florists, newspapers and others; and seeing to all the necessary details.

Sorry ... because i do pr/communications, I tend to get on my "funeral" soapbox from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom