I don't know how to walk in high heels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forgive me for bursting into a chick thread, but the title reminded me of one of Adam Clayton's famed Insights Into the Mysterious World of Women. Adam quipped that the main reason a woman can be easily persuaded to undress after being elegantly wined and dined by a gentleman is because she just wants to get out of those damn high heels!

:wink:

Bandage your heels? What for? I never had a blister there, if anything, if the shoes are tight and strappy, it was my toes that paid the price.

u2bonogirl said:
:lol: Lies, you make me laugh. That is exactly why I wore ballerina shoes to my wedding! :shifty:

Okay, another question: Would it be wise for me to pre-bandage my heels to keep them from getting blisters? Or will that make things worse?

I only wore the shoes for the ceremony (so all of 20 minutes max). For pics and the reception I was barefoot :D

I wouldn't bandage them. Unless you have lots of time to break them in and get your feet used to them, they're probably going to hurt regardless. I got the most blisters on the bottoms of my toes and the areas with the strap over the toes. If you're wearing actual shoes, you may get blisters on your heels, but the shoes should fit so your heels aren't sliding out of them with every step (I have this problem with a lot of flats).

LyricalDrug said:
Forgive me for bursting into a chick thread, but the title reminded me of one of Adam Clayton's famed Insights Into the Mysterious World of Women. Adam quipped that the main reason a woman can be easily persuaded to undress after being elegantly wined and dined by a gentleman is because she just wants to get out of those damn high heels!

Dear Adam is a very wise man :wink: Nothing like kicking off the heels when your feet are begging for relief!

The last time I wore heels was at my wedding. I literally COULD NOT feel my toes for like a week after.:(
I have also ended up in the emergency room twice after falling down wearing heels and spraining my ankle.
Needless to say, I don't wear heels much :no:

LyricalDrug said:

:hmm: I think he's got something there :lol:

I don't wear heels because I look like an oaf in them, can't walk, and fall flat on my face. At prom, it was a challenge for me to walk in a pair of 2" heels that weren't even very skinny.

I'm the worst girl ever :tsk:

Wow... I feel like the only girl here who likes high heels. *runs and hides*

Seriously, in the winter I practically live in high-heeled boots, and I think they're really comfortable. Pumps and sandals are more of a crapshoot, comfort-wise, and I refuse to wear a pair of high heels that hurt my feet. I am not a living-in-stilettos fashionista by any stretch of the imagination, but in my experience I've found a general rule of thumb: you've got to shell out a decent amount of money for comfortable heels, and if they're any higher than 3 inches, they'll hurt. 2 1/2 inches is usually a pretty good combination of "stylish but not pain-inducing" if you've got the right pair. Not always -- once I had a great pair of high-heeled sandals that I could walk around in all day that I bought at Payless for $17, but I've never had luck like that since. You don't have to spend hundreds at Manolo Blahnik or anything *shudder*, but something like Steve Madden or Kenneth Cole is usually a good bet, especially if you can find something on sale. I'm not much of a shoe fiend anyway; investing in one good pair of black pumps will hold me for a few years.

Bonogirl: You started off with 4" heels?! :ohmy: Wow. I'd like to think I'm comfortable in heels, but I can't handle them that high. I feel like I'm going to tip over and take ridiculous itty-bitty steps in them. If the fashion show will let you walk in a pair that's a little shorter, by all means go that route. But still practice in your 4" ones, because then the shorter pair will be a piece of cake!

But I agree with everyone else here; buy yourself a cheap shorter pair to practice in first and then work your way up. Also, make sure that you're practicing walking on hard surfaces, not carpet (that's also something anyone should do when trying on a pair in a store, too. Shoes might feel really comfortable on carpet but will destroy your feet once you hit tile/concrete/hardwood flooring.)

Oh, and remember: shoulders back, hips forward, and walk like a diva. Practice an "Oh yeah, I'm hot" face in the mirror, too. :wink:

Last edited:
I love high heels too! Well i love all shoes, and shouldn't really buy high heels much as im 6 foot and TOWER over people in them, but i love my heels! :drool:

4" is quite high, and it does depend if they are open toed or closed. With open you need to sorta..hrm not "scrunch" you foot but remeber to hold on to the shoe like when you wear thongs (or, uhm flip flops? thats what thongs are called right?) also DONT look down at your feel when walking, it throws your balance off, of course look ahead for any pitfalls (especially drains, but im sure on the runway there won't be any! hehe) but as the other say keep your back straight and face forward and point your toes as you walk.
Try not to be heavy on your heels, let your ball and toes do most of the work (thats why they bloody KILL at the end of the night) oh and slughtly point them inwards when walking, ever so slightly, but if gives more strength to the inside ball/toe rather then pointing outside you rest of your heels.

Hard surfaces are also better then carpet for balance. And definately practice walking up a step or two!
Good luck! :D take some pics!

Personally I don't hate high heels I actually wished I was a lot more comfortable when wearing them. There are so many heels in the stores that I have fallen in love with :drool: What I need to do is just start throwing myself into practicing.

Back
Top Bottom