Drunk Drivers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there's no need for drunk driving, get yourself a phillyfan, they work wonders ;)

I actually agree with what you said earlier about knowing your limits - I for one know I can have one beer or one small drink and drive myself home an hour or so later.

Yeah exactly! One does not have to stay off alcohol completely just cos one is driving!

But the statement I quoted is ridiculous. It is entirely possible to avoid drinking. You just, um, don't drink.

Okay, sure it is possible to completely avoid alcohol. But I don't think one needs to do that just because one is driving. It does not have to be one or the other! Just need to know our limits, that's all.

Look! I agree with you all that having too much to drink and getting behind the wheel is horrible, foolish and could be deadly. But the issue is not as black and white as some of you would like it to be. Not everyone has a roommate or girlfriend/boyfriend whatever to drive them home. Some people just have to sober up before driving back... or just know their limits! If I kept drinking and driving completely mutually exclusive, I would never be able to drink, ever! I drive everywhere. I drive to meet up with friends, at their homes or at a bar or whatever. It's very rare that I carpool with somebody to go to a bar. In that case, I could easily just not drive. But most of the time I have to drive back home after hanging with friends and having a couple of beers or whatever. Doesn't mean I drive drunk! I don't let it go to that point if I know I'm gonna be driving. If I completely avoided alcohol like you people are suggesting, then my options are (a.) Stay home and don't have a social life.. and worse still, drink by yourself. or (b.) Go out all you want but never touch alcohol again. It is just not reasonable. Bottomline: Know your limits!

While I agree with you that it is not as black and white as some suggest (charge all drink drivers with attempted murder, mmkay, whatevs) surely taxis are the obvious answer to your quandary?

Possibly the debate is getting more into FYM territory, does anyone want to start a thread there? I am interested in the thought process and rationale behind the point of view why drink drivers should be charged with attempted murder, etc.

I'm gonna get in with the black/white people here. You drink, and therefore don't drive. Or you don't drink and you can drive. If you're out drinking, take a taxi. And before someone throws out the "I'm a poor student" line, I was a student too. If I could cobble the cash together to be drinking, I could put 20 aside for the taxi.

No excuses on this one, in my book.

wtf this is ridic. there are shit drivers everywhere, both drunk and sober. let's not make the road any more dangerous than it already is.

- don't drink and drive
- put down the phone
- if you just took some meds, stay at home
- keep eyes on the road

it's not that hard. really. making up excuses for HAVING to drive after drinking is absolutely ridic and selfish. newsflash: there are other people besides you on the road. what if you only had 3 drinks, zoots (since 4 is your limit), but then were facing a situation where a drunk driver was coming at you? would you have complete control over your own vehicle to avoid him and make a split second decision to spare your lives?

zoots, you're my friend and i know we hang out and stuff. i'm not trying to argue or blow up your spot, just have a discussion about this. i also know you happen to live in a very commutable area with lots of options for public transportation. that's another possibility for you.

While I agree with you that it is not as black and white as some suggest (charge all drink drivers with attempted murder, mmkay, whatevs) surely taxis are the obvious answer to your quandary?

Exactly!

If you're going out and spending $20-30 on booze, you can pay for a cab. I never, ever understand how it's okay to pay $6 for beer after beer after beer but then suddenly somebody can't afford to pay for a cab. Um....

As a student, if I went out and had $30 to spend, and wanted to drink but I knew the cab was $15, then I'd drink up to $15 and that was it.

I'm still with the black and white crowd. Zoots I hope you didn't take any of it personally, that's just how I feel, I'm not attacking YOU at all.

The thought of having my children near the road, walking them down the street, driving with them etc... and some drunk ass out of control asshole takes them from me would be much more than I could bear, I don't even want to think think about what I would do.

Having a good time doesn't always have to involve alcohol and if it does it should also involve a designated driver... people who are drinking should not judge how sober or drunk they are.

Exactly!

If you're going out and spending $20-30 on booze, you can pay for a cab. I never, ever understand how it's okay to pay $6 for beer after beer after beer but then suddenly somebody can't afford to pay for a cab. Um....

Because some people believe it's uncool to admit they're too drunk to drive their own car. One of the nice side effects of alcohol is that you can severely misjudge a situation and your own powers and abilities.

I have to agree with the others, here. If you're drinking, don't drive. If you can afford to go out and drink, you should be able to afford a taxi. If you can't, stay home till you can - no excuses.

The fact is, unless you've taken a breathalyzer test, there is no way of knowing how close you are to the limit, or if you're over. Why risk someone else's or your own life, your license, etc? It's not worth it. It seems pretty black and white to me.

But the issue is not as black and white as some of you would like it to be. Not everyone has a roommate or girlfriend/boyfriend whatever to drive them home.

Then a) drink at home, b) go out and don't drink, or c) get a cab. Seems simple to me.

My uncle has several offenses, has no license, and has been in jail because he thought he sobered up before driving home and thought he knew his limit...

I'm going to chime in with the black and white crowd. Zoots, I'm sorry to say but I think you're way off base here and are trying rationalize and justify having "up to 4 drinks." Whether you know your limits or not (whatever that means) if you've had some drinks just don't drive. Take a cab, like others have suggested, or just don't drink at all.

And, for the record, I'm not much of a drinker in the first place. I really believe that one doesn't have to get loaded to have a good time, which is why I barely drink when I go out. For me it's all about the company I'm with.

There's only one person who wants me to drive them around when they're drunk. :love:

you'd be handy to have around this long weekend :heart::D

phones, fucking useless :down: so ya...I dropped it in the hot tub (while drunk - don't drink in the hot tub boys and cail?ns) and lost all your numbers...email them pleaseth :D

I think I have a new job for Phillyfan...hot tub phone holder :drool:

Zoots, I think it's time you admit you have a problem...

:lol:

I'm still with the black and white crowd. Zoots I hope you didn't take any of it personally, that's just how I feel, I'm not attacking YOU at all.

Oh no I'm not taking any of this personally! :wink: It's good discussion and again, I realize how horrifying it can be to be a victim of some idiot drunk driver. It's just this black and white thing, either drink or drive doesn't seem practical to me. Forget the bar scene! What if you're going out to an Italian restaurant or something and you have wine there... you go to a wedding, there's complimentary drinks... or even just hanging out at a friend's house and having a couple of beers... you cannot always take public transportation anywhere and everywhere. Even with a good network like here in the tri state area, there are still plenty of towns that you cannot get to without driving! Okay, so you can take cabs. But with an active social life and going out almost every weekend, cabs can get expensive. Especially if it takes like half an hour or an hour to get somewhere! I don't know. That's why so far I've been simply sobering up and then driving.

phones, fucking useless :down: so ya...I dropped it in the hot tub (while drunk - don't drink in the hot tub boys and cail�ns) and lost all your numbers...email them pleaseth :D

i think pisslovah just pissed himself

i know what you can do with your long weekend

Okay, so you can take cabs. But with an active social life and going out almost every weekend, cabs can get expensive.

This doesn't wash with me. When you say "active social life", to me this is means food and drinks. If you can afford to pay X amount of dollars on food and drinks then you can consume less and still have money for the cabs.

And, again, I'm sorry. I have an active social life as well. I love going to restaurants, weddings etc. If I'm driving that night, it's quite simple—I DON'T DRINK—even if others are doing so. It's actually not that hard. I'll have a Coke sans rum, and yet I'm still laughing, partying, dancing and having a great time—and all that without a drop of alcohol.

This doesn't wash with me. When you say "active social life", to me this is means food and drinks. If you can afford to pay X amount of dollars on food and drinks then you can consume less and still have money for the cabs.

And, again, I'm sorry. I have an active social life as well. I love going to restaurants, weddings etc. If I'm driving that night, it's quite simple—I DON'T DRINK—even if others are doing so. It's actually not that hard. I'll have a Coke sans rum, and yet I'm still laughing, partying, dancing and having a great time—and all that without a drop of alcohol.

plus it also helps to be naturally fuctup, like yours truly. fun can happen with or without the alcohol :up:

Oh no I'm not taking any of this personally! :wink: It's good discussion and again, I realize how horrifying it can be to be a victim of some idiot drunk driver. It's just this black and white thing, either drink or drive doesn't seem practical to me. Forget the bar scene! What if you're going out to an Italian restaurant or something and you have wine there... you go to a wedding, there's complimentary drinks... or even just hanging out at a friend's house and having a couple of beers... you cannot always take public transportation anywhere and everywhere. Even with a good network like here in the tri state area, there are still plenty of towns that you cannot get to without driving! Okay, so you can take cabs. But with an active social life and going out almost every weekend, cabs can get expensive. Especially if it takes like half an hour or an hour to get somewhere! I don't know. That's why so far I've been simply sobering up and then driving.

How do you sober up before driving?

I know you can have a certain amount of alcohol in your system and drive but if I was intending to drive I wouldn't touch a drop of drink.

At least you have a car to get around. Think of us poor sods who have to rely on taxis/really rubbish public transport/other people if we want to go out. :D

I start drinking water after my 3rd or 4th drink.

You are over the limit after 4 drinks. PERIOD. You may think that you are sobering up but you are not. Your b.a.c. is over the legal limit. Nevermind that all research points that we should lower the limit to .05 because that is where real impairment begins.

You seem like a nice guy, but I don't want you on the road with me after 4 drinks, regardless of whether you've had a gallon of water. I worked for MADD last summer and this type of cavalier attitude horrifies me.

If you want to "drink and drive" then you need to stop after 2 drinks.

If you have an active social life, pay for a cab. If it gets expensive, cut out on the drinking, share the cab, etc. I don't understand why a hit on somebody's wallet is worse than worrying about the safety of others on the road.

If I'm out to dinner and am driving, I never have more than one drink. And that drink is early in the evening, followed by food, so it's at least an hour before I'm driving home. Time heals all alcohol consumption.

I'll have more to drink if I'm bussing it or have a ride home.

im glad my thread got the attention it needed. i feel at times i may have contradicted myself, because i do like to drink and have a good time...but even then, i cannot fathom getting in the car to drive myself home. i sleep at my friends' homes, or i get a ride home. simple.

You are over the limit after 4 drinks. PERIOD. You may think that you are sobering up but you are not. Your b.a.c. is over the legal limit. Nevermind that all research points that we should lower the limit to .05 because that is where real impairment begins.

You seem like a nice guy, but I don't want you on the road with me after 4 drinks, regardless of whether you've had a gallon of water. I worked for MADD last summer and this type of cavalier attitude horrifies me.

If you have an active social life, pay for a cab. If it gets expensive, cut out on the drinking, share the cab, etc. I don't understand why a hit on somebody's wallet is worse than worrying about the safety of others on the road.

:up: I've been a passenger in a car with a drunk driver, and lemme tell you, it was no picnic. We got home safe and sound but that once was enough. And I reckon I've spent enough on taxis in my lifetime to equal the GDP of a small African nation, but when it comes to safety, who cares about the loot.

phones, fucking useless :down: so ya...I dropped it in the hot tub (while drunk - don't drink in the hot tub boys and cail�ns) and lost all your numbers...email them pleaseth :D

does this mean you no longer receive profane text messages?

Yeah I have to admit that 4 is a bit much. (even though I do have somewhat high tolerance for alcohol and don't easily get even buzzed let alone drunk) Oh btw, I drove to DC to meet with some friends over the weekend. We were gonna drive in to the downtown area and go hit the clubs. I suggested that we take the metro instead and then a cab to get to the club cos that way we can drink all we want. And so that's what we did. There were 5 of us so we shared the cab fare. It cost almost nothing!

Also, apologies to the original thread starter for somewhat derailing the focus of this topic. That's awful that you almost got hit by a drunk driver!

Yeah I have to admit that 4 is a bit much. (even though I do have somewhat high tolerance for alcohol and don't easily get even buzzed let alone drunk) Oh btw, I drove to DC to meet with some friends over the weekend. We were gonna drive in to the downtown area and go hit the clubs. I suggested that we take the metro instead and then a cab to get to the club cos that way we can drink all we want. And so that's what we did. There were 5 of us so we shared the cab fare. It cost almost nothing!

This is as it should be, always. :up:

I'm so proud of you! heterosexualman:hug:

Back
Top Bottom