San Antonio / Austin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPRB

The Fly
I'm planning a trip with my wife for our Anniversary this year. We are both facinated with the history of Texas but have never been on Vacation anywhere in the state. (I have been to the Dallas Fort Worth area on business but that doesn't count).

We would like to attend a rodeo, some sort of country / western concert and must see the alamo? Would also like to take a day trip for something different within a three hour drive.

Any suggestions on must see places?

Thanks

Well, if you're looking for a rodeo/concert, San Antonio's annual rodeo days at the AT&T Center is coming up, I think. Most big rodeos in Texas feature some sort of concert as well, but if you're looking for an authentic dance hall, the most famous one in the state is in Gruene, between SA and Austin.

So I'd say head up there when the San Antonio rodeo is going on and you'll be able to knock all three of those things out. And Austin would be a good day trip. I could give you a big itinerary for that.

Yeah our Rodeo is just started and continues for most of Feb...

The Alamo, Riverwalk, downtown area is a great tourist area and can all be done in a day or two depending on how much you want to take in. For Texas history buffs we also have the Missions.

For an authentic country and western experience we have Floore's Country Store(where Willie Nelson played a lot when he started and still plays today) and as mentioned above Gruene Hall.

There's also a couple of decent museums and right outside of San Antonio we have Natural Bridge Caverns.

Austin is a great town they have the capital of course but they also have great music and art.

And you can't leave without eating Mexican food...

If you have any specific questions just ask...

Rudy's is so unbelievably good. But I'd also recommend Salt Lick in the Austin area (it's actually in Driftwood).

I've been to San Antonio and Austin, but each was only a one day trip for marching band/football related stuff, and I definitely got to see more of San Antonio. As a tourist for the most part myself, I've gotta say, the Riverwalk was pretty cool.

Thanks, I lived in Austin for 3 years but moved back here in 2006.

I left Dallas to move here three years ago for school. Nice.

I once took a shit in Texas and it raised the State's average IQ by three points.

You must have us mistaken with Oklahoma.

I've been to San Antonio and Austin, but each was only a one day trip for marching band/football related stuff, and I definitely got to see more of San Antonio. As a tourist for the most part myself, I've gotta say, the Riverwalk was pretty cool.

I can't imagine the Austin trip was that fun: 34-13.

Back
Top Bottom