Safe and affordable places to live in Wash DC Metro?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesseu2

Refugee
Hey all, I am going to be moving to DC sometime this fall after I get cleared to work for the government. I am curious if anyone knows the safe areas of DC metro? I heard there's a lot of crime there. I have been hearing the Northwest DC areas and Maryland are safe and affordable. I am physically disabled so i'm just trying to find the right place.

-I would like to be close to a Metro stop.

-I would like to be near a grocery store and pharmacy.

-It would be cool to be next to a mall or shopping center.

I was in DC back in November visiting and found the area around The Fashion Centre at Pentagon City in Arlington, VA would be perfect with a Costco, pharmacy, and grocery within walking distance but i'm not sure about crime and Apartment rent is sort of high for me.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

The first few stops of the Orange Line in VA fit the criteria (except maybe the mall). Although Ballston has a mall. The Red Line in upper NW DC and MD is also nice. Pentagon/Crystal City is decent as well. Crime is not a problem in most areas.

With the key word being affordable, I would like to highly recommend Columbia Heights. It's off the green line. I lived there for a year and returned unscathed. The area isn't as dangerous as it used to be. However, I fear the housing rates might go up, as that area has been driving the poor out by building new shopping centers. There was some debate over families being displaced and whatnot...I vaguely remember it now.

Anyway, CH now has a Target, Best Buy, and some other craziness, along with a theater that has been renovated (I didn't get to go when I was there.) There's also a Giant and Whole Foods nearby, for your grocery needs. However I personally enjoyed the farmer's markets there and at Eastern Market for my food goodies.

I also hear they are building up some parts of South East. I'm not talking Anacostia (which is still rather crime ridden), but right before the river. Loads of young people are living there now because the cost of living is much cheaper.

Overall, I think DC is cleaning up. You'll have no problem finding a place. What sort of physical disability do you have (if you don't mind me asking?) My friend has CP, but has been living in DC all her life, and doesn't own a car. She gets around fine with the metro and bus system. Let me know if are looking for specific needs (i.e. ramps, etc.) I might be able to put you in touch with someone who can help point you in the direction of places that can meet your accomodations.

My friend that I mentioned before currently lives in Brookland. Brookland is OKAY, but I wouldn't recommend it for a newcomer. University students are getting mugged quite often there. You really gotta know your way around that area.

hmm, Tenleytown is pretty nice. I think Lance goes to AU there. I really like Cleveland Park, but from what I understand, it is rather expensive.

That's all I can come up with for now. Good luck, and congrats on the new job!

thank you everyone for this info so far. It's nice to get a consensus of what everyone thinks.

Mia, yes I got CP and get around fine with walking an riding metro/bus systems. I haven't owned a car and I don't plan on owning one since the metro is very good there, public transportation isn't the best here in Arizona. My mom and I will be coming out there this summer to look at apartments and condos for rent an such.

Primarily, I'm looking for a place that has easy shower access in bathroom and that the place has a shuttle to a metro stop or is within walking distance to one. These things are first priority. You read my mom's mind there in asking the stuff you asked. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom