Magic and Mentalism Appreciation Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooropop40 View Post
uh wow, are you a magician?? jeez... most people dont know either of those names!?! Roth is fantastic and McBride is one of my mentors!
As a kid I was... sort of. For like 6 or 7 years I studied close-up magic just for my own personal enjoyment. My family and I went to a lot of performances and stuff. McBride was always our favorite. My mother even did a routine on stage with him once as part of his audience participation act (I'm just laying this up here so perfectly... someone better get Laz in here for this), and my father got to be part of one of Copperfield's big illusions one time. Great memories.

Unfortunately I never really enjoyed performing myself. I'm not much of a theatrical entertainer, and studied mostly for my own benefit as I said. Of course, there's only so much I can do under that attitude so I gave it up while ago now. It's probably been like 5 or 6 years since I last practiced anything. I was pretty good with coin tricks though, which I studied almost exclusively near the end. Thus the David Roth admiration. My favorite was always the Cups and Balls routine (again, someone get Laz for these) I first picked up from Michael Ammar. I had a pretty fantastic routine for that and it was probably my strongest talent.
__________________

__________________
Lancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #17
Refugee
 
zooropop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Posts: 1,583
Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
As a kid I was... sort of. For like 6 or 7 years I studied close-up magic just for my own personal enjoyment. My family and I went to a lot of performances and stuff. McBride was always our favorite. My mother even did a routine on stage with him once as part of his audience participation act (I'm just laying this up here so perfectly... someone better get Laz in here for this), and my father got to be part of one of Copperfield's big illusions one time. Great memories.

Unfortunately I never really enjoyed performing myself. I'm not much of a theatrical entertainer, and studied mostly for my own benefit as I said. Of course, there's only so much I can do under that attitude so I gave it up while ago now. It's probably been like 5 or 6 years since I last practiced anything. I was pretty good with coin tricks though, which I studied almost exclusively near the end. Thus the David Roth admiration. My favorite was always the Cups and Balls routine (again, someone get Laz for these) I first picked up from Michael Ammar. I had a pretty fantastic routine for that and it was probably my strongest talent.

wow.

Michael Ammar is fantastic as well. and Laz does magic too??

I never thought that I would hear the names David Roth and Ammar on this thread! I usually hear those on the magic threads I belong to. I hope I dont get them mixed up and start talking about U2 to magicians
__________________

__________________
zooropop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 03:52 AM
Laz doesn't do magic. He makes whore jokes about my mother.
__________________
Lancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #19
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
As a kid I was... sort of. For like 6 or 7 years I studied close-up magic just for my own personal enjoyment. My family and I went to a lot of performances and stuff. McBride was always our favorite. My mother even did a routine on stage with him once as part of his audience participation act (I'm just laying this up here so perfectly... someone better get Laz in here for this), and my father got to be part of one of Copperfield's big illusions one time. Great memories.

Unfortunately I never really enjoyed performing myself. I'm not much of a theatrical entertainer, and studied mostly for my own benefit as I said. Of course, there's only so much I can do under that attitude so I gave it up while ago now. It's probably been like 5 or 6 years since I last practiced anything. I was pretty good with coin tricks though, which I studied almost exclusively near the end. Thus the David Roth admiration. My favorite was always the Cups and Balls routine (again, someone get Laz for these) I first picked up from Michael Ammar. I had a pretty fantastic routine for that and it was probably my strongest talent.
*Bookmark post*

How did you get into that field, zoopop?
__________________
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
*Bookmark post*
I'm telling you, if something epic doesn't come from that, I'll be sorely disappointed.
__________________
Lancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #21
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
I'm telling you, if something epic doesn't come from that, I'll be sorely disappointed.
Bangs of New York-quality or bust.
__________________
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #22
Refugee
 
zooropop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Posts: 1,583
Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post

How did you get into that field, zoopop?
well... I was a smartass kid who always felt the need to know EVERYTHING. and one day I had my ass handed to me by a magician who showed me that there was more out there that I didnt know about. So of course, I started to learn magic just to understand it. Eventually I matured and fell in love with the art. I got some books about it but never took it anywhere. Then about 9 years ago, I was bored and picked up one of the old books I bought and I just took it from there. I have always loved it though.
... and I guess thats it?
__________________
zooropop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #23
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 06:52 PM
Zooropop, can you please explain hypnotism to me? I literally do not get it. How can someone speaking send another into a different wake state, or whatever you'd call it? I just don't get it! Always been curious and fascinated, though sceptical, sorry.


I've always liked watching a good magician or illusionist at work. My brain loves the challenge of trying to work out how. Once, I was on one of those rather trite dinner/show nights on a boat on the harbour and the magician dude walking around tried to do small little things with as many people as possible. I was tickled to be one. His trick was to get a deck of cards laid out, have me pick one by sight without saying the card it was, and he swooped the deck back up, shuffled them and then PULLED THE CARD I HAD THOUGHT OF OUT OF THE DECK!!! I just don't get how that happened. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN, ZOOROPOP? I NEED TO KNOW!!!
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:18 PM   #24
Refugee
 
zooropop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Posts: 1,583
Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
Zooropop, can you please explain hypnotism to me? I literally do not get it. How can someone speaking send another into a different wake state, or whatever you'd call it? I just don't get it! Always been curious and fascinated, though sceptical, sorry.


I've always liked watching a good magician or illusionist at work. My brain loves the challenge of trying to work out how. Once, I was on one of those rather trite dinner/show nights on a boat on the harbour and the magician dude walking around tried to do small little things with as many people as possible. I was tickled to be one. His trick was to get a deck of cards laid out, have me pick one by sight without saying the card it was, and he swooped the deck back up, shuffled them and then PULLED THE CARD I HAD THOUGHT OF OUT OF THE DECK!!! I just don't get how that happened. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN, ZOOROPOP? I NEED TO KNOW!!!
Its not about HOW it happened, it is about how you felt when it happened.
Astonishment is our natural state of mind. All magic does is bring us back to our natural state of mind. I can think of hundreds of methods for pulling a thought of card out of a deck, but I think its better that I leave you amazed.

and about hypnotism:

I am about to reveal exactly how and why hypnosis works. if you ever want to be hypnotized, I would advise you not to read this...

 

ok, hypnotism only works because YOU think its going to work. All it is is simply relaxing the spectator. Basically the way you feel when you are meditating or daydreaming is exactly what being hypnotized is. It brings down your defenses and makes you more vulnerable to suggestion. Because you think it is going to work, you trick yourself into believing that you are actually "hypnotized"... Hypnosis only works because you believe hypnosis will work. It is simply our natural human suggestibility. Under hypnosis you will not do things that you wouldn't normally ever do, but you are more willing to do things that are "embarrassing" simply because you are in "meditation".

People who go to hypnosis to quit smoking, may actually quit because they are so sure that the hypnotist is real, and that the hypnosis will work, that they convince themselves that they do not need a cigarette. The human mind truly is fascinating. and I get to explore aspects of human nature like this every time I perform mentalism.

There! now no one here can ever be hypnotized because you know how hypnosis works.
__________________
zooropop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #25
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,666
Local Time: 03:52 AM
I just spent the past hour or so watching Derren Brown videos on Youtube. Very interesting stuff. Would you say that someone's voice is important to the success of these 'illusions'? Because I found his voice very soothing, and just wanted to keep listening to it.


Also, since you said you practise predicting future events, will U2 fans ever stop bitching about setlists? Thanks!
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
Reggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,990
Local Time: 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Also, since you said you practise predicting future events, will U2 fans ever stop bitching about setlists? Thanks!
You already know the answer to this, BoMac.
__________________
Reggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #27
Refugee
 
zooropop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Posts: 1,583
Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
I just spent the past hour or so watching Derren Brown videos on Youtube. Very interesting stuff. Would you say that someone's voice is important to the success of these 'illusions'? Because I found his voice very soothing, and just wanted to keep listening to it.


Also, since you said you practise predicting future events, will U2 fans ever stop bitching about setlists? Thanks!
I do think he practices using a soothing voice simply for hypnosis. It is his natural voice though. Not only that but he has an unconscious twitch which makes his head move rapidly and subtly up and down (you can barely notice it) but this actually is a motion commonly attributed to saying "yes", as seen in this smiley here: This almost also suggests his spectators to say "yes" or agree with him because of the unconscious head motion.

His voice, however, is not as soothing though when he is energetic in front of a huge live crowd. You might not know it from some of the videos you saw, but he is freaking hilarious. Ill link up some videos from his live show. This video should play the whole over 1 hour show that it is on the youtube playlist. If you have an hour to kill, Id watch it. Very funny, entertaining, and amazing.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Click "Play All Videos" in the right hand corner after you click the link above to watch the whole show.
__________________
zooropop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Laz doesn't do magic. He makes whore jokes about my mother.
i dont think you couldve worded that any better
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #29
Refugee
 
zooropop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Posts: 1,583
Local Time: 02:52 AM
some terrific magic here:

Watch this whole next video... just when you think its over... its just begininng!

YouTube - Cyril Takayama- Aquarium Magic

and this one is cool too:

YouTube - Cyril Takayama burger trick magic.
__________________
zooropop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 11:52 PM
Oh holy shit wow at that first one . I'll watch the second one later, but, that was very much a "how the fuck" one .
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
magic, magicians, mentalists

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The U2 Crew Appreciation Thread! Merc PLEBA Archive 78 01-11-2006 04:29 PM
"Who's gonna ride" appreciation thread AcrobatMan Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 24 12-02-2003 06:20 AM
Appreciation thread appreciation thread. kerc Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 12 10-04-2001 12:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com