Hurricaine Sandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
deep said:
Sounds like you made it through ok.

Those trees need to be addressed. At some point they will fall. I know it is a pain and expense. We had a city tree branch fall on a car and kill a woman.

I had three large trees taken out. I thought it would cost 4- $5000. I got several bids. I had it done for $1400.

I'm sure she's worried about the expense, but the alternative is so much worse. She's stubborn, and reactive instead of proactive. She just had to replace a fridge that was probably 25 years old. At least 20, who knows. So old that no one does. That's her mindset, keep it until it breaks down. Partly her age, partly her upbringing and the times she grew up in. Trust me, I told her about the woman who had to leave her house yesterday due to a fire. Tree went into wires from her house. And she gets mad at me for that. It's very frustrating.

Not too bad, the basement is unfinished so no major damage.

Up the street a giant tree fell over and crushed an SUV - I'll try to go take a pic before it's moved.

Any idea what caused the flooding? It didn't seem to be raining much around here. Wind like crazy, but I didn't find the rain to be particularly bad. Surely a thunderstorm or two from this past summer produced more rainfall

Any idea what caused the flooding? It didn't seem to be raining much around here. Wind like crazy, but I didn't find the rain to be particularly bad. Surely a thunderstorm or two from this past summer produced more rainfall

I think a leaky window in front of which water had gathered on the driveway.

If you live anywhere near Palmerston/Ulster, really worth coming to see the tree that's down. And the SUV that's been flattened to a pancake on one side. Just unreal.

So I live a quarter mile from the ocean, wind was gusting around 70 and power stays on through the whole storm, I get to work today and my office has no power. Still no power at day's end (somehow I stayed and got some work done), I get home and at 4:40 PM the day after Sandy leaves my power goes out.:huh: Luckily only for a little less than an hour.

anitram said:
I think a leaky window in front of which water had gathered on the driveway.

If you live anywhere near Palmerston/Ulster, really worth coming to see the tree that's down. And the SUV that's been flattened to a pancake on one side. Just unreal.

My girlfriend lives on Palmerston at Bloor! She sent me a picture. Crazy. Completely uprooted

Lost power again at 9pm and it came back this morning. I'm anticipating for it to go off again tonight.

I'm also anticipating going back to work tomorrow. Transit is picking up again, although slowly. But where I work, it is severely flooded and there may not be any power. It would just be nice to get back to normalcy. And I must admit, and I feel kind of guilty for saying this, I am getting cabin fever. Staying indoors all day with no where to go is driving me up the wall.

Just got back from Target to get whatever necessities I needed. It was dimly lit with only a few registers working. Most of the shelves were getting bare and I had to get whatever I could get. It should be enough to last me a few days.

I also learned that my cousin lost his house completely. He lived in Rockaway Beach, Queens and had no insurance. So everything is gone.

On Facebook, a former co-worker reported seeing a man attempting suicide by jumping of the Queensboro bridge. Passer-bys pulled over and stopped him. It might related to the storm and its devastation.

On a light note, someone I went to school with said she's going to take her daughter to the disaster areas for Halloween - but instead of asking for candy, she'll give candy to those who don't have anything. That's a sweet gesture, but I think toilet paper, blankets, flashlights and batteries are more important.

Pearl said:
I also learned that my cousin lost his house completely. He lived in Rockaway Beach, Queens and had no insurance. So everything is gone.

That's horrible, so sorry to hear that.

I just keep thinking about how, up until the day before, they were still saying that MA could take a direct hit. That could be us now. It's important to remember that. And it's also a guilty feeling. Almost like a survivors guilt type of thing.

Well, campus is closed for the rest of the week due to damage, flooding and power outage. The national guard have been there since at least yesterday.

I shudder to think about what it's going to resemble when we do finally return. Our new anatomy lab was in a basement, as was all of our adjusting lab rooms. I'm sure all that equipment is destroyed...our old buildings were due for renovations.

I never thought there would be a downside to having a campus right beside the sound.

Anyway, I know this sounds trivial, considering my dwelling is intact and I'm still alive.

The policeman story is so sad.

Did anyone see the people pushing and shoving to get on the bus in NYC? Of course it's only one bus and the media seizes on that. I'm sure people have been helping each other, and politely. But it was a creepy , almost end times sort of image.

Pearl good luck if you go in to work tomorrow. Saw the ship run aground

I won't be getting in until Monday, if all goes well. I think I mentioned that I work downtown, which is cut off from all subway transportation. The Staten Island ferry is not running and the area has no power.

I'm going to try to volunteer maybe at my old high school, which is an evacuation center. I just can't stay at home all day with my electricity running while others aren't so fortunate - its not right.

Its being reported that two toddlers are missing. Apparently, they were swept away when the floods came in and their parents tried to get them out of their car. :sad:

ETA: Some areas are literally crying out for help. NY 1 News just showed people in Rockaway Beach begging for anything - food, fuel, water, etc. They have nothing and they say they're being neglected by FEMA, the government, everyone. This could spiral out of control.

ETA: Some areas are literally crying out for help. NY 1 News just showed people in Rockaway Beach begging for anything - food, fuel, water, etc. They have nothing and they say they're being neglected by FEMA, the government, everyone. This could spiral out of control.

How long till we hear some celeb(or Paul Ryan) say "Barack Obama hates white people"?

How long till we hear some celeb(or Paul Ryan) say "Barack Obama hates white people"?

Ha!

But Obama is not the only one in charge of helping everyone. I'm sure Governor Cuomo and Bloomberg have their say, so there's a lot to blame for the neglect going around.

Going on 3 days without power and heat now with temps dropping into the 30s at night, no stores open to restock, and 3 hour lines at the few gas stations that are open. Most roads are still impassible and the shore I grew up at is devastated. Some of my friends lost their homes to either trees falling or the storm surge. Where's our benefit concert?

hi pearl

well i must have been tired enough to misread your post/ or tired enough to forget you work in Lower Manhattan.
Between work and relaxation, specialty craft/art shops etc, going to the parks, WFC etc I know alot of Lower Mahattan/LES/The Village, Chelsea and up tom midtown (out of power, too)falrly to quite well! Which makes it extra sad:( for contemplating their diffficulties.

Sounds like a good idea to go volunter

I heard this late morning (Bloomburg) that that NG, First Responders and other will be getting water, MREs, to those in highrises, maybe else where as well.

I forgot to say I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin:hug:

Steve so sorry about your childhood home area.

ETA yay for the benifit concert!

More than 50 dead so far :( Even those two boys I mentioned earlier were found dead. :sigh:

Not only are residents of Rockaway Beach complaining about neglect, but so is Staten Island as a whole, once again proving we're the Forgotten Borough.

The local NBC station just showed people in one area literally begging for help. Some expressed fear over their health because of the backed up sewage and the fumes they're breathing in. They're also worried about lack of food, water, fuel, etc.

Here's Borough President James Molinaro telling it like it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHUxU_2TDYI&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by a moderator:
The Island is finally getting Red Cross and FEMA relief, most of it tomorrow. Hmph. We're the hardest hit area, the most deaths and it took days for us to get help? There was a hot food stand set up in the southern tip of the Island while many can't drive there because either their cars are destroyed or they haven't got the gas to travel.

Even if some people didn't evacuate as told, that doesn't mean they deserve to be neglected.

Here's a link to the New York NBC report that I mentioned before: Staten Island Residents Plead for Help | NBC New York

I was wondering why the Red Cross wasn't there yet. I assume the only reason is that they couldn't physically get there yet , but I don't know. I do know that MA is sending resources there.

Second most costly disaster in U S history - only to Katrina. 50 billion estimate.

I was wondering why the Red Cross wasn't there yet. I assume the only reason is that they couldn't physically get there yet. I do know that MA is sending resources there.

Second most costly disaster in U S history - only to Katrina. 50 billion estimate.

The bridges have been open since Wednesday and the Red Cross could've traveled here via New Jersey. There is no excuse to overlook us.

^Well that's really bad, I don't understand that

tumblr_mctmskM4jX1qawv3p.png

It's supposed to be Wed. So far they're saying rain for everyone except the high elevations and Northern New England. Of course that could change. It will be windy, but nothing like Monday

I think the weather hype machine is in overdrive. Insensitive given the circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom