East Coast earthquake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
298349_10150356072330336_745425335_10148599_3826075_n.jpg

And Japan and Haiti are telling us east coasters to get a frickin' life and move on!

So many calm glasses of lemonade disturbed!

So many delicately arranged rows of dominos toppled before their time!

:panic:

Now is the time for that famous "Oh Noez" gif!

I was mildly amused/partially going "Oh you poor baby." until the last sentence, which just got kind of a :| response.

East Coast earthquake: Seismologist discusses - The Washington Post

Q:QUAKE EFFECTS ON DC LANDMARKS
5.9 is a moderate quake but there a lot of historic buildings in the DC area - could this quake or aftershocks affect the buildings' structural integrity?
– August 23, 2011 3:10 PM Permalink
A.
DR. GRAHAM KENT :
I think certainly as you move closer to the epicenter, that's certainly true. There will be people inspecting various builidngs. I think the most important point in that regard, is that the Earth's crust is a lot colder there, so energy travels much further without being dissipated. Even though it's a 5.9, it's a lot bigger deal than a 5.9 would be in California or Nevada. You might see damage further away from the epicenter than you might expect.

and for those not on my fb, I felt it here in Atlanta.

My sister lives in Virginia about 60 miles from the epicenter. They had an aftershock a couple of hours later, too. She said it was difficult to walk in their house for a few seconds!

nope, i was asleep. apparently people who were awake felt it here, but i also slept through our tornadoes a couple months ago, too.

Man wtf.. another one here 10 min ago 3.6. Didnt feel it.

What is going on in the world!! :huh:

I've heard about that happening. If my cat starts freaking out (which she sometimes does for no reason), I usually think "oh shit.... earthquake?"

But no, she usually just has gas. :yuck:

I'm in So Calif and can vouch for the fact animals DO act strange before earthquakes. Our dog will jump up and wander around sniffing the ground all hyper and anxious. After the earthquake she settles down and goes to sleep like she is exhausted from a job well done. It's the weirdest thing.

Earthquakes in Calif are so common they are almost like a part of daily life.

We just had one at about 7:12, centered in Lake Arrowhead, Maine. West of Portland. I never felt the one last summer but I definitely felt that one. 4.6 magnitude

Haha, I thought a large truck drove by the house too fast.

At first I thought that but it was way too loud for that, and the vibrations were way too strong. Nothing shook or fell that I could see or notice at the time. I was getting an outfit out of my closet for tomorrow. I didn't run and hide in the closet :wink:

The hysterical news special reports are hilarious. I can laugh because I don't think anyone was hurt or that there was any significant damage. Can't imagine what it's like to live through a bad one.

I felt that one the other summer, that started in VA. Was sitting on my bed with a book, thinking I was unconsciously shaking my leg. Nope, that was my entire bed (and therefore house) shaking, and stuff was rattling on shelves.
Thought I was crazy for a few minutes because I was the only person in the house that felt it. Then there was breaking news a few minutes later, phew!
I'm not even neighboring VA so it was hard to believe that I felt that quake until reports from north of me came in. I think that was the first and only earthquake I've ever felt. It freaked me out even though it was so minor in my area.

I felt this one, first time I've ever felt an earthquake.
Was on the couch and it felt like the couch was shaking, almost like a massage chair.

You guys aren't gonna believe this..and this is a bit of tmi but I was at that very moment..um..indisposed.. at a restroom near my son's school in NH after dropping him off from our weekend together..I thought it was a train going by (I used to live by train tracks and it felt like that) and only thought "man I dont recall crossing train tracks to get here"

Then about 10 minutes later I was buying gas on 104 and a guy at the pump says to me "did you feel the earthquake". Crazy!

Back
Top Bottom