A decade of Interference - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:53 AM
I agree with Garrison.

I registered here 13 years ago... Just over. Nearly half my lifetime ago.

Believe it or not, a few things have happened since then.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 10:53 AM
Isn't it possible to post on the internet and also have a wonderful life offline? Don't know why people always talk about one or the other.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #48
45:33

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post

While I greatly appreciate your contributions here, and u2 gigs, etc., I do want to point out that there is something to be said about spending the best years of your life glued to the internets. 36 posts per day, over a decade, requires quite a commitment, you sir should get out more! Go Enjoy life, love, live, smell the flowers when they are new, before they die, swim naked in the ocean, watch the sunrise or set with someone who intrigues and challenges you, and so on.

I mean all of that in the best possible way. I was a complete blue crack addict back in the day as well. One of the best things that happened to me was taking a 4 year or so vacation from this place.
In his defence he's got plenty going on these days offline, most of it involving concerts, beer and parmas. His average per day would probably be in the single figures these days.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang96 View Post
I agree with Garrison.

I registered here 13 years ago... Just over. Nearly half my lifetime ago.

Believe it or not, a few things have happened since then.
Are you hitting on me again? I thought we decided to just be friends....
Old 07-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:53 AM
I for one have nothing going on offline. I don't have much going on online either.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #51
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
It seems kind of silly that I've spent over 10 years visiting the Blue Crack when I could've done other things (like get off the computer and interact with real human beings).
Given that multiple close offline friends of mine are people I met on here, I find the underlined remark of yours to not make a whole lot of sense. Though I'm sure major_panic, if he still posted here much, would tell you he's not a real human being, he's a ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
While I greatly appreciate your contributions here, and u2 gigs, etc., I do want to point out that there is something to be said about spending the best years of your life glued to the internets. 36 posts per day, over a decade, requires quite a commitment, you sir should get out more! Go Enjoy life, love, live, smell the flowers when they are new, before they die, swim naked in the ocean, watch the sunrise or set with someone who intrigues and challenges you, and so on.

I mean all of that in the best possible way. I was a complete blue crack addict back in the day as well. One of the best things that happened to me was taking a 4 year or so vacation from this place.
I knew somebody would inevitably post this, but you write as if everything in your first paragraph is mutually exclusive with posting on an Internet forum. I honestly don't know how I've managed to accrue such a massive post count in between graduating high school, completing undergrad, undertaking a PhD, working, travelling a lot, and spending much of my free time at concerts and/or the pub with my girlfriend. It's just a thing that happened, I guess. I find it particularly easy to post here; by comparison, on another forum where I've been a member almost as long as here, I'm yet to crack the 2,000 post barrier.

Apart from one particularly unpleasant year of my life where chilling with folks on Interference was a bright spot in an otherwise bad patch, I think most of my posts have simply come in very quickfire bursts, be that in sports threads or setlist parties, and then I've got on with my day. I know that before 2008 my daily average posts was only around 10, and Cobbler's probably right that in the last four years it would be single figures.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I knew somebody would inevitably post this, but you write as if everything in your first paragraph is mutually exclusive with posting on an Internet forum. I honestly don't know how I've managed to accrue such a massive post count in between graduating high school, completing undergrad, undertaking a PhD, working, travelling a lot, and spending much of my free time at concerts and/or the pub with my girlfriend. It's just a thing that happened, I guess. I find it particularly easy to post here; by comparison, on another forum where I've been a member almost as long as here, I'm yet to crack the 2,000 post barrier.

Apart from one particularly unpleasant year of my life where chilling with folks on Interference was a bright spot in an otherwise bad patch, I think most of my posts have simply come in very quickfire bursts, be that in sports threads or setlist parties, and then I've got on with my day. I know that before 2008 my daily average posts was only around 10, and Cobbler's probably right that in the last four years it would be single figures.
Congratulations for your achievements outside of Interference, and of course, once again thank you for your contributions here and at u2gigs, etc. I've enjoyed some of the reading myself. My condolences to bad patch you have noted above, I don't know the circumstances so im guessing it must have been something rather heavy.

Here's what I don't understand, and please know that im only genuinely curious here, you state that before 2008 you had 10 posts per day (june 2003 - june 2008 = 5 years or 1825 days, X 10 = 18250). In the last 4 years you suggest you posted in the single figures, lets say 9 posts per day (june 2009 - june 2013 = 4 years or 1460 days x 9 = 13140). If my raw math is correct, from june 03-08 & june 09-13 that is a combined total of 31,390 posts. So, that leaves the period of June 08 - 09, and a total of 102,476 posts or 280.75 posts per day. Is this somewhat accurate?
Old 07-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Probably, that's when the Superthread was most active.

And as someone who met their husband on this message board, I can't get behind the idea that Interference has inhibited me from experiencing life.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Probably, that's when the Superthread was most active.

And as someone who met their husband on this message board, I can't get behind the idea that Interference has inhibited me from experiencing life.
Congrats. Im not one to devalue internet relationships or friendships, I for one have met some wonderful people from this very place which I would consider life long friends.

Having said that, I do think there is a point to be made here, if one likes to look at pictures of the beach and aspires to go there someday, there's no time like the present. Life is short, too short, that is all. I think that was the point I was trying to make.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Also, in the days of smart phones, how much posting happens in front of the computer vs while standing in line at subway for example. The way technology breeds ADD where I can't even wait for my sandwich without joining the asshole masses who glue themselves to their phone while they wait aside, all the posting that I used to do while at home at the desktop, I now do while sitting at work or like my previous example, waiting to get some dinner.

I started this post at dangelos waiting on my sandwich, and am finishing it at work waiting for my partner to get Chinese food.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Also, in the days of smart phones, how much posting happens in front of the computer vs while standing in line at subway for example. The way technology breeds ADD where I can't even wait for my sandwich without joining the asshole masses who glue themselves to their phone while they wait aside, all the posting that I used to do while at home at the desktop, I now do while sitting at work or like my previous example, waiting to get some dinner.

I started this post at dangelos waiting on my sandwich, and am finishing it at work waiting for my partner to get Chinese food.
Your post reminds me of something, which although crude, is a valid concern with society. Why is it when im in the restroom stall I sometimes hear the person in the stall next to me talking on the phone to their wife/gf/mistress/etc? Does the person on the other end know they are having a conversation with a guy who is pinching a loaf? In these situations I try to make as much damn noise as I possibly can, disgusting, sure. But damn if I want some asshole calling me from the crapper. Oh, and I flush 5 or 6 times to make damn sure whomever is talking to the shithouse romeo knows he's calling from the john - BUSTED! There are some places technology just needs to be silenced, taking a shit, having sex would be a couple of examples. That said Im sure there are people who post on Facebook while sitting on the beach, hiking, handgliding, etc. Seems like such a waste to me, but I guess im old fashioned that way.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I actually had a date once where I and the other person sat across from each other at a table communicating via smartphone. We did not make eye contact then, or at any other time.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I haven't been on a date.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I once dated a lurker, never met them actually, but im pretty sure they slept with me or vice versa.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

a cia lurker, possibly.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think it's worth noting that even 50 posts a day would probably take only around an hour, especially in those superthreads.