6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #616
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,276
Local Time: 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Trump appeared on Hack?
Blair Cottrell from neo-Nazi group the UPF.
__________________

__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #617
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 147,268
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Is that for the discussion on "Aussie patriots" they've been advertising?
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:55 PM   #618
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 8,993
Local Time: 04:28 AM
Triple J's 'Hack' is very much of the 'on the one hand, but on the other hand' school of current affairs journalism. I just realised it's over six months since I even listened to anything on that station. Don't miss it.
__________________
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:15 AM   #619
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,276
Local Time: 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Is that for the discussion on "Aussie patriots" they've been advertising?
Yes. It was on last night.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #620
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 147,268
Local Time: 05:28 AM
I was quite deliberately avoiding that.

I too hate the 50/50, "A says/B says" journalism that gives everything equal time, but I would have thought that for a discussion on "Aussie patriots", at least what I saw billed, it is only reasonable to at least let a so-called patriot speak for themselves rather than have a whole bunch of people attack a strawman? Give him enough rope, even.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:24 AM   #621
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 8,993
Local Time: 04:28 AM
Also, to judge from call-ins back in the day when I used to have Hack on, a surprising proportion (or maybe it isn't surprising, eh?) of young strayans are very very rightwing. All that talk of demographic salvation (see also the coming Democratic majority in America) is a mite shortsighted I think.
__________________
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:25 AM   #622
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 8,993
Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I was quite deliberately avoiding that.

I too hate the 50/50, "A says/B says" journalism that gives everything equal time, but I would have thought that for a discussion on "Aussie patriots", at least what I saw billed, it is only reasonable to at least let a so-called patriot speak for themselves rather than have a whole bunch of people attack a strawman? Give him enough rope, even.
I would tend to agree that merely letting the dickhead hang himself on air is probably no bad thing... it all comes down to how the program handles it. Tom Tilley (if it's still him) doesn't fill me with confidence.
__________________
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:36 AM   #623
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 147,268
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Also, to judge from call-ins back in the day when I used to have Hack on, a surprising proportion (or maybe it isn't surprising, eh?) of young strayans are very very rightwing.
Replace "strayans" with "people" and you have today's unfortunate FYM episode.

Quote:
All that talk of demographic salvation (see also the coming Democratic majority in America) is a mite shortsighted I think.
Entirely. With regards to the Democrats specifically, whatever majority they have will prove illusory within a couple of electoral cycles. People do not stay clustered behind one party forever, especially not now. The Republicans as we knew them are at death's door, and Trump at the moment has the pillow a millimetre from their face, but there is no reason why the Republicans won't take on another guise that appeals to whatever demographics exist in a decade.

The alarming part is that an extremist tack, whether it be in the direction of a Trump or something else, is perhaps most likely. The one prediction I will make is that politics across the Western world will get more extreme in the next couple of decades. This is unlikely to be a good thing (I say as somebody whose views are far from the centre).
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:50 AM   #624
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 8,993
Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Replace "strayans" with "people" and you have today's unfortunate FYM episode.



Entirely. With regards to the Democrats specifically, whatever majority they have will prove illusory within a couple of electoral cycles. People do not stay clustered behind one party forever, especially not now. The Republicans as we knew them are at death's door, and Trump at the moment has the pillow a millimetre from their face, but there is no reason why the Republicans won't take on another guise that appeals to whatever demographics exist in a decade.

The alarming part is that an extremist tack, whether it be in the direction of a Trump or something else, is perhaps most likely. The one prediction I will make is that politics across the Western world will get more extreme in the next couple of decades. This is unlikely to be a good thing (I say as somebody whose views are far from the centre).

Yep. The dam is broken now, or near to it. How extreme politics gets depends who steps up to the plate. If it's more Trumps, or their soulmates, and if they have the stage, well then.

What happened in FYM today? I am afraid I was busy, you know, working.
__________________
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:18 AM   #625
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,276
Local Time: 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Also, to judge from call-ins back in the day when I used to have Hack on, a surprising proportion (or maybe it isn't surprising, eh?) of young strayans are very very rightwing. All that talk of demographic salvation (see also the coming Democratic majority in America) is a mite shortsighted I think.
I'm not that surprised, although predictably I see very little of that within my own friend circles. Every now and then you do get exposed to it, partly because of the university environment you're unlikely to hear too much in the way of reactionary views. In my experience, people do reveal themselves in Facebook statuses that they don't necessarily show in person.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:28 AM   #626
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 147,268
Local Time: 05:28 AM
I'm horrified how many of my relatives on Facebook (generally distant ones, fortunately) who you would identify as traditional working-class left and who never voted for Abbott take much pleasure in sharing anti-refugee and anti-Islam memes. I'm always seeing shit shared from pages with idiotic names like "stop the mosque in Bendigo" and "we stand with Sonia Kruger".

Anybody who thinks that these "Aussie patriots" are just an element of the far-right is sorely mistaken. I have a colleague who loves pointing out that strict limits on immigration, including race-based limits, are a longstanding ALP tradition premised precisely on working-class solidarity. Many of the arguments these people articulate are straight out of the playbook of the union movement of a century ago, especially those who are not in any way affiliated with the religious right (hell, sometimes they hate "god botherers" almost as much as they hate "muzzies").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
What happened in FYM today? I am afraid I was busy, you know, working.
Oh, the Trumpkins got straight-up sexist, brazenly and unapologetically, essentially blaming a woman for her (soon to be ex-)husband's infidelities with an underage girl. It was vile.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:37 AM   #627
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 8,993
Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm horrified how many of my relatives on Facebook (generally distant ones, fortunately) who you would identify as traditional working-class left and who never voted for Abbott take much pleasure in sharing anti-refugee and anti-Islam memes. I'm always seeing shit shared from pages with idiotic names like "stop the mosque in Bendigo" and "we stand with Sonia Kruger".

Anybody who thinks that these "Aussie patriots" are just an element of the far-right is sorely mistaken. I have a colleague who loves pointing out that strict limits on immigration, including race-based limits, are a longstanding ALP tradition premised precisely on working-class solidarity. Many of the arguments these people articulate are straight out of the playbook of the union movement of a century ago, especially those who are not in any way affiliated with the religious right (hell, sometimes they hate "god botherers" almost as much as they hate "muzzies").



Oh, the Trumpkins got straight-up sexist, brazenly and unapologetically, essentially blaming a woman for her (soon to be ex-)husband's infidelities with an underage girl. It was vile.
You don't have to scratch the surface too hard before it gets ugly, I've noticed. FYM I mean.

As for the anti-immigrants, anti-muslims memes, that stuff is just, just barely under the surface. it may not be tolerated at an Australia Day official event or a government citizenship day or other such 'official' moments, but it's certainly not restricted to the radical fringe, unfortunately that's true. That some of it has deep roots in Labor tradition is probably part of it, sure.

Just look at any comment thread on a Guardian article. I've made clear in the past that I have issues with The Guardian, but many readers have other issues of their own that seem to boil down to the paper not prosecuting the clash-of-civilisations with enough vigour (shit, Natalie Nougayrede is banging the drum to bomb the shit out of Syria again, what more do folks want?).
__________________
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:40 AM   #628
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 8,993
Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I'm not that surprised, although predictably I see very little of that within my own friend circles. Every now and then you do get exposed to it, partly because of the university environment you're unlikely to hear too much in the way of reactionary views. In my experience, people do reveal themselves in Facebook statuses that they don't necessarily show in person.
Nobody I know voted for Nixon.
__________________
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:51 AM   #629
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,276
Local Time: 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
You don't have to scratch the surface too hard before it gets ugly, I've noticed. FYM I mean.

As for the anti-immigrants, anti-muslims memes, that stuff is just, just barely under the surface. it may not be tolerated at an Australia Day official event or a government citizenship day or other such 'official' moments, but it's certainly not restricted to the radical fringe, unfortunately that's true. That some of it has deep roots in Labor tradition is probably part of it, sure.

Just look at any comment thread on a Guardian article. I've made clear in the past that I have issues with The Guardian, but many readers have other issues of their own that seem to boil down to the paper not prosecuting the clash-of-civilisations with enough vigour (shit, Natalie Nougayrede is banging the drum to bomb the shit out of Syria again, what more do folks want?).
I'm always here for the Nougayrede hating. One of the most worthless journalists around, the epitome of centrist/liberal greyness and moralising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Nobody I know voted for Nixon.
I could count the number of people I encountered who had voted Abbott in 2013 on one hand. I think I made one person feel particularly guilty about having done so.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:20 AM   #630
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 8,993
Local Time: 04:28 AM
Was that one person Tony Abbott? Because that would rule.
__________________

__________________
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com