6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 08-04-2016, 12:41 AM   #466
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Wait, revise my post. I was mistaken - the senate president has not got a casting vote. A vote tied at 38-38 is declared lost.

So the Coalition must get THE ENTIRE CROSSBENCH on side to pass legislation if the ALP and Greens are both opposed. GOOD. FUCKING. LUCK.

And I'm still speechless the Australian saw fit to run that disgusting cartoon.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:43 AM   #467
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Meanwhile, The Australian continues to publish straight-up racist cartoons.
Par for the course with that rag. I see they've wheeled out the establishment's pet indigenous guru, Noel Pearson, to prop up the house style.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:49 AM   #468
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:19 AM
There is no goodness.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:17 AM   #469
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Then that is a very fucked crossbench.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:33 AM   #470
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Par for the course with that rag. I see they've wheeled out the establishment's pet indigenous guru, Noel Pearson, to prop up the house style.
Which is really odd, because they actually do some great Indigenous reporting.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:59 AM   #471
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well there are decent reporters in the Australian (how many I can't tell), I think it's the editorial line that mostly stinks.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:08 AM   #472
Vocal parasite

6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade?

The Australian is very conflicted about whether it wants to be a Serious Newspaper that publishes on Important Topics, or a slightly more articulate Daily Tele.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-04-2016, 02:22 AM   #473
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I always assume that when it veers back to Middlebrow Telegraph territory, it's a sign that Rupert has been on the phone.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:10 AM   #474
Vocal parasite

So I wrote some slightly more extended thoughts about the Senate over on ye olde electionne weblogge: Blatantly Partisan Party Reviews, The new Senate and how it will (not) function

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #475
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

And they said blogs were dead.

While I detest the assorted grab bag of cranks who invariably ride in on One Nation's coat tails, I'm not sure this whole result is so bad overall, as far as it potentially stymies any serious second-term Coalition agenda (if it has one, and yes, children, it does, but as always it dare not speak its name). The exception would be bills of a security-state/divide-and-conquer variety; there I'm a little worried that enough of One Nation/Lambie/Hinch/whoever else might all be brought to the altar.

There's also the point, worth making, that on past performance, what assurance do we have that Pauline Hanson's (as if they are her property) new senators will toe the line? You don't even have to look to the Palmer United Party for precedent, just look to the 1998 Queensland parliament. I'd be a lot more scared of One Nation if it could guarantee Liberal or Labor - style voting discipline.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #476
Vocal parasite

One Nation, I expect, will be the new PUP. I'll be surprised if we get to 2019 without at least two defections. If that happens, it could give the Coalition some more paths to passing legislation - or just make negotiations even more chaotic.

I'm very curious to see what the crossbench actually can agree on. Day and Leyonhjelm agree on a deregulated economy, but Lambie and Xenophon are state-based protectionists. Then Leyonhjelm and Day fall apart on social issues - but Leyonhjelm can join with Hinch and One Nation in supporting euthanasia. I suppose Hinch could probably get up some of his bullshit legal reform garbage, since it appeals to the hard right and to populists more broadly defined?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #477
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't believe there would be much outside of - the aforementioned - further draconian security type legislation that every last one of them could be expected to maybe line up on. Other than that, a bunch of mini-blocs at best.

I suppose it depends on what great matters exercise this particular parliament. If it's trade deals and the like, well as you say, there may be common ground between Xenophon and One Nation (although they've become so completely absorbed into the Islam Panic that I regard most of their nominal 'concerns' as window dressing at best).

When I hear the words 'legal reform', I reach for my pistol.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #478
45:33

And today, Bill Leak is the victim.

But hey, Australia's not racist.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:38 PM   #479
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I don't believe there would be much outside of - the aforementioned - further draconian security type legislation that every last one of them could be expected to maybe line up on. Other than that, a bunch of mini-blocs at best.

I suppose it depends on what great matters exercise this particular parliament. If it's trade deals and the like, well as you say, there may be common ground between Xenophon and One Nation (although they've become so completely absorbed into the Islam Panic that I regard most of their nominal 'concerns' as window dressing at best).

When I hear the words 'legal reform', I reach for my pistol.
Leyonhjelm may be a total turd syrup, but he does apply his ideology consistently, so you would expect him to break on draconian security legislation. But by himself that's not enough. You'd expect that Hinch, Lambie, Day, and One Nation would jump on board so it would be a matter of persuading Xenophon.

Of course so much of the national security alarmism has been fostered by the ALP and Coalition working together, so this may be a moot point.

What intrigues me is how much the Coalition will try to work with the Greens, and whether this will prove beneficial for the Greens ("we stood up to the Coalition and extracted concessions") or detrimental ("sell-outs to the right"). Because you suspect that if Turnbull concedes too much ground to them, it will further erode his authority within the party and imperil him in the lower house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
And today, Bill Leak is the victim.

But hey, Australia's not racist.
#RacistCartoonistLivesMatter

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-05-2016, 01:01 AM   #480
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Of course so much of the national security alarmism has been fostered by the ALP and Coalition working together, so this may be a moot point.
...and there you've just put your finger on the situation for quite a few votes. It only matters when it's not bipartisan Labor and Coalition stuff in the first place.

Fair point about Leyonhjelm.

Quote:
What intrigues me is how much the Coalition will try to work with the Greens, and whether this will prove beneficial for the Greens ("we stood up to the Coalition and extracted concessions") or detrimental ("sell-outs to the right"). Because you suspect that if Turnbull concedes too much ground to them, it will further erode his authority within the party and imperil him in the lower house.
It's hard for me to imagine what the Coalition could (ie. would be willing to) give the Greens, that the Greens want. Maybe a beefing up of research funding now that the government has partly walked back its insane cuts to the CSIRO ('we take climate change seriously! We're only sacking 20 scientists!')