6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade? - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand

Old 06-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #286
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Oh my god why did I not know about Time Cube sooner?! How on earth did I ever miss this?

I'm reminded of the ultimate fundie website, jesus-is-lord.com, which still exists with its massive walls of text. Holy shit somebody has put a lot of time into their super marginal, super judgemental, fire and brimstone theology.
Time Cube also inspired a host of parody sites including 'The Learning Triangle'.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #287
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Almost certainly.
I'm in favour of any variation of a 'Underworld opinions and experiences here' thread.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #288
45:33

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Ax is there anywhere in Wills that will definitely have a sausage sizzle going?
Old 06-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I'm in favour of any variation of a 'Underworld opinions and experiences here' thread.
All of your Underworld-inspired lager rants here, guys.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:12 PM   #290
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Ax is there anywhere in Wills that will definitely have a sausage sizzle going?

I always vote at Brunswick SW primary school on Sth Daly and they do sausage sizzles. It's probably the closest polling station to you too.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #291
45:33

Excellent.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:05 AM   #292
Blue Crack Addict

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ruit-outsiders

This is kinda neat.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:59 AM   #293
Vocal parasite

Hahaha I have family in Kaitangata.

I've only been there once as a kid and don't really remember it. But it has a history as a). a coal mining town and b). a dump.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2016, 05:02 AM   #294
Vocal parasite

Also, the meaning of Kaitangata is unclear but it could suggest a totally dark past. "Kai" means food and "tangata" means people. So is it a name that commemorates a lot of people having a feast... or a cannibal feast?

Both interpretations are valid.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #295
Blue Crack Addict

Also, I wanted to link a new article by Jeff Sparrow. I'm increasingly fond of his work.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e-reset-switch
Old 06-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #296
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I like that column, and it reminded me of a similar(ish) but far more wide-ranging bit by John Quiggin the other day that I ummed and ahhed about linking to. Imagine posting this in FYM:

John Quiggin » Reaping the whirlwind

If you don't try to grapple with the bigger picture, you're (as in people generally) always just reacting to events. OMG look what happened! Oh there's something else! OMG! History, just one damn thing after another, except not quite.

I don't know how the Guardian tolerate Jeff Sparrow, he's reallly not fitting in with the house style there.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #297
Vocal parasite

I was relying on you to do a bit of a takedown, Kieran, so that Vlad doesn't think I'm any more of a closet Tory than he already does. I thought it was rather a jumble of ideas and below Sparrow's usual quality.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #298
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Oh I'm not wedded to Sparrow's column, it's not the word of God, it mostly just echoed themes I've been seeing elsewhere (and probably spelled out better elsewhere).
Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #299
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't know how the Guardian tolerate Jeff Sparrow, he's reallly not fitting in with the house style there.
He's completely unsuited to the UK/International side of The Guardian, but still fits not too badly within the Australian section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I was relying on you to do a bit of a takedown, Kieran, so that Vlad doesn't think I'm any more of a closet Tory than he already does. I thought it was rather a jumble of ideas and below Sparrow's usual quality.
Yeah, I understand that, and I get where you're coming from - but it's of a higher standard than much of what you get there.

I don't think you're a closet Tory at all, by the way, and that would come with the assumption that I think Greens voters are closet Tories. Besides, FYM seems to be full of aforementioned closet Tories anyway.

Quote:
Oh I'm not wedded to Sparrow's column, it's not the word of God, it mostly just echoed themes I've been seeing elsewhere (and probably spelled out better elsewhere).
I'm pretty certain a much more indepth piece would have worked more effectively, as looking back it does feel that it's been compressed somewhat.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #300
Vocal parasite

I've finally finished my party reviews. What a marathon. Blatantly Partisan Party Reviews, Index to the Blatantly Partisan Party Reviews,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I don't think you're a closet Tory at all, by the way, and that would come with the assumption that I think Greens voters are closet Tories. Besides, FYM seems to be full of aforementioned closet Tories anyway.
Heh, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment - though there are a couple of people at work who kind of do think I'm a closet Tory. I even have a bet with one guy that if I'm a Liberal voter in twenty years I owe him a slab of beer, and if I'm not he owes me the slab. I don't even know how anybody could think that I am a closet Tory, unless you define it as "likes representative parliamentary democracy and big government"! My economic views are about as left-wing as they come while still accommodating a free market that complements the state, and my social views are straight-up social liberal or "progressive". I suppose, though, for those who define "left wing" as having some active identification with the working class, as some hardcore Labourites do, I fail that test.

Gig pictures | Blog