5 1/2 weeks in the USA/Canada - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:52 PM
5 1/2 weeks in the USA/Canada

Hey everyone, I'm going to the states for 5 1/2 weeks starting from October 13th till November 20th. We have a "rough" in between itinerary planned out so far.

Basically our first day once landing in LA after about 3 months (16 hours) on a plane we're spending even more time on a plane and going to spend 2 nights in Seattle before taking a ferry to Vancouver. Spend 5-6 days in VAN (depending on the Canucks schedule!) before driving from Van to Calgary over a couple of days (I guess this depends on weather conditions?) Then from Calgary we fly to Toronto. Spend 3 days in Toronto before taking the Train to New York.

We plan to spend probably 10-14 days around that east coast area which might include a few days in Boston, Jersey, Philly and Washington. Before we spend out last two or so weeks driving back across to LA/Vegas via...well we aren't sure yet. Dad wants to see New Orleans or head down past Houston. Hopefully we get 3-4 days to chill in LA before the flight home.

In summary, the point of this thread would be if anyone can provide advice on places to see, things to do ect ect I'll take anything on board. Nothing is locked in so we aren't stuck to a schedule just yet. Thanks

Old 06-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
45:33

What if U2 start their tour in Australia at that time?

Glad to hear you're driving from Vancouver to Calgary, that took my breath away. I say go to Banff if you can.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:52 PM
I recommend maximizing your time in Seattle and Vancouver. Also, San Francisco is a glaring omission. I'd recommend looking into a train from Vancouver to Calgary, and you may want to stop in Banff National Park on the way. Montréal is another omission for something rather unique in North America (Québec City may be worthwhile too). Of the Northeast cities that you mention, I enjoy Boston and Washington more than New York, but a first visit to New York can be incredible (would it be?). I have incredible memories of the city from when I visited it for the first time at the age of 12. I've never been to Philadelphia. New Jersey is New Jersey. If you visit NYC and have some money to drop, I'd recommend going to the top level of the Empire State Building. Not just the main observation deck, but the little pod on the 102nd floor. That's a really cool, if really touristy, experience. Overall, NYC has tons more to do than any other city in the country, but it's far from my favorite. There are also some cool towns in New England that can be worth a quick stop (see: Newport, Rhode Island), but they're probably better for summer than fall.

The south has really nice weather that time of year. New Orleans is an incredibly interesting city with a ridiculous amount of income inequality. Houston has some nice cultural stuff, but it's still Houston. Austin and San Antonio are great, but neither has that much to do, although you'll probably be traveling during the formula one race in Austin (sorry, just had to plug my wonderful home city). Avoid Dallas like the plague, other than D/FW Airport. The other big southern cities of note are Atlanta and Miami, but they're out of your way.

One city you may want to consider is Chicago. It sometimes has a bad reputation, but I love the place. It's probably tied with San Francisco and maybe LA (in my opinion) for the title of "most cultured city" in the US. I detest Los Angeles, however, and I find Chicago much friendlier and cleaner than New York. And I just like it better than SF for reasons that are probably more sentimental than anything else

Also, if you are going to be spending any significant time in SoCal, you may want to drive to San Diego. It's a rather gorgeous city not far at all from LA.

Have a great trip.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:22 PM
I can't recommend a plan but just want to say I'm heaps jealous and hope you have a rad time.

I suspect that San Diego would be worth the trip, a few people I know absolutely swear by it as their favourite city in California.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
The Male

Local Time: 09:52 PM
I'm always going to be fond of the east coast, as I spent 16 years of my life in Maryland, so I can't add a great deal to your plan besides affirming that it's going to be great. Boston is an attractive city with a great history and you never run out of things to do in NYC. DC makes for a historically enlightening visit but you'll only need an afternoon to get the gist, if you're doing the tourist thing.

I would say that it's a shame you're visiting in the fall because Delaware and Virginia have some knockout beaches, but the fall is astoundingly beautiful in the east. Spend some time in Vermont and do some hiking while taking in the foliage, it's out of this world. By the time you get there it will likely be a bit past peak, but that shouldn't lessen the experience for you.

Have a great time, I wish I could go back, but it won't be for a while.

EDIT: And yes, do come to Chicago if you can find the time. There's loads to do, and I'll be sure to buy you a beer.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I recommend maximizing your time in Seattle and Vancouver. Also, San Francisco is a glaring omission. I'd recommend looking into a train from Vancouver to Calgary, and you may want to stop in Banff National Park on the way. Montréal is another omission for something rather unique in North America (Québec City may be worthwhile too).
This is what I noticed as well.

Coming from Australia, you'll find a city like Montreal (French speaking, European sensibilities) quite different from the rest of North America. It's certainly worth the trip (perhaps you can shorten your time in Toronto -- it's a nice town but you can get something similar in New York).

Likewise, San Francisco really is unlike most other American cities -- it has such a wonderful vibe, geography, architecture, food scene, etc. If you have time I'd try to squeeze it in.

That said, this continent is enormous, and you will not have time for everything. Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time and we'll be happy to have you. Enjoy!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Have to concur on Montreal and, if possible, Quebec. Hard to imagine visiting North America and skipping these.

I may be a bit biased, tho

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Why so much LA hate?

As a Californian, I have to say a road trip between San Francisco and LA would be amazing, especially if you take the Pacific Coast Highway.

In LA, I'm a huge fan of Griffith Park, with panoramic views of LA and a trail with great views of the Hollywood Sign.
Also love the Getty, which is in West Los Angeles and a top notch museum.

Have fun!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
She's the One

On your way back from the East Coast, consider stopping at Grand Canyon. It'll be cold in mid-to-late November, and possibly snowing, but it's a place that is magical, no matter what time of year. You'll be there before our Thanksgiving week, so it shouldn't be too full of people, and the snow shouldn't be too bad, either. It's just off Interstate 40, which is one way back from the South, although a snowy way.

If you'd like to continue the Texas part of your trip, consider Big Bend National Park, down at the western end of Texas. It won't be snowy there, and it's a lovely, uncrowded park full of Western scenery.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

See SF and Yosemite Park as well.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
What if U2 start their tour in Australia at that time?

Glad to hear you're driving from Vancouver to Calgary, that took my breath away. I say go to Banff if you can.
It's a risk I'm prepared to take We're all very been on staying in Banff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I recommend maximizing your time in Seattle and Vancouver. Also, San Francisco is a glaring omission. I'd recommend looking into a train from Vancouver to Calgary, and you may want to stop in Banff National Park on the way. Montréal is another omission for something rather unique in North America (Québec City may be worthwhile too). Of the Northeast cities that you mention, I enjoy Boston and Washington more than New York, but a first visit to New York can be incredible (would it be?). I have incredible memories of the city from when I visited it for the first time at the age of 12. I've never been to Philadelphia. New Jersey is New Jersey. If you visit NYC and have some money to drop, I'd recommend going to the top level of the Empire State Building. Not just the main observation deck, but the little pod on the 102nd floor. That's a really cool, if really touristy, experience. Overall, NYC has tons more to do than any other city in the country, but it's far from my favorite. There are also some cool towns in New England that can be worth a quick stop (see: Newport, Rhode Island), but they're probably better for summer than fall.

The south has really nice weather that time of year. New Orleans is an incredibly interesting city with a ridiculous amount of income inequality. Houston has some nice cultural stuff, but it's still Houston. Austin and San Antonio are great, but neither has that much to do, although you'll probably be traveling during the formula one race in Austin (sorry, just had to plug my wonderful home city). Avoid Dallas like the plague, other than D/FW Airport. The other big southern cities of note are Atlanta and Miami, but they're out of your way.

One city you may want to consider is Chicago. It sometimes has a bad reputation, but I love the place. It's probably tied with San Francisco and maybe LA (in my opinion) for the title of "most cultured city" in the US. I detest Los Angeles, however, and I find Chicago much friendlier and cleaner than New York. And I just like it better than SF for reasons that are probably more sentimental than anything else

Also, if you are going to be spending any significant time in SoCal, you may want to drive to San Diego. It's a rather gorgeous city not far at all from LA.

Have a great trip.
San Fran interests me, but Dad and the others aren’t all that interested. Perhaps I might disappear off for an overnight stop on our last couple of days in LA. I’d really like to see Montreal as well. Maybe we can re-route or trip to go from Calgary to Montreal and then down to Toronto and ‘Merica.

This will be my second trip to the states, but last time I never left California. (Anaheim, San Diego and LA) so yeah first ever visit to new york, I’m quite excited about that. Empire state building is on my definite list, and maybe the statue of liberty if we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I can't recommend a plan but just want to say I'm heaps jealous and hope you have a rad time.

I suspect that San Diego would be worth the trip, a few people I know absolutely swear by it as their favourite city in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm always going to be fond of the east coast, as I spent 16 years of my life in Maryland, so I can't add a great deal to your plan besides affirming that it's going to be great. Boston is an attractive city with a great history and you never run out of things to do in NYC. DC makes for a historically enlightening visit but you'll only need an afternoon to get the gist, if you're doing the tourist thing.

I would say that it's a shame you're visiting in the fall because Delaware and Virginia have some knockout beaches, but the fall is astoundingly beautiful in the east. Spend some time in Vermont and do some hiking while taking in the foliage, it's out of this world. By the time you get there it will likely be a bit past peak, but that shouldn't lessen the experience for you.

Have a great time, I wish I could go back, but it won't be for a while.

EDIT: And yes, do come to Chicago if you can find the time. There's loads to do, and I'll be sure to buy you a beer.
Noted!

I want to come to Chicago. I wonder if Derrick Rose will return before I get over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badyouken View Post
This is what I noticed as well.

Coming from Australia, you'll find a city like Montreal (French speaking, European sensibilities) quite different from the rest of North America. It's certainly worth the trip (perhaps you can shorten your time in Toronto -- it's a nice town but you can get something similar in New York).

Likewise, San Francisco really is unlike most other American cities -- it has such a wonderful vibe, geography, architecture, food scene, etc. If you have time I'd try to squeeze it in.

That said, this continent is enormous, and you will not have time for everything. Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time and we'll be happy to have you. Enjoy!
Ok I think we have definitely have to spend some time in Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Why so much LA hate?
No LA hate from me. (aside from the Lakers ) I’ve been there before. We're gonna end our trip there and see a few sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
On your way back from the East Coast, consider stopping at Grand Canyon. It'll be cold in mid-to-late November, and possibly snowing, but it's a place that is magical, no matter what time of year. You'll be there before our Thanksgiving week, so it shouldn't be too full of people, and the snow shouldn't be too bad, either. It's just off Interstate 40, which is one way back from the South, although a snowy way.

If you'd like to continue the Texas part of your trip, consider Big Bend National Park, down at the western end of Texas. It won't be snowy there, and it's a lovely, uncrowded park full of Western scenery.
Grand Canyon is on my list. Dad’s done it before, I’ll see what the others think. Snowing? Awesome.....I've never seen snow aside from on TV before.

I know my responses were quite short...but I'm taking everything on board to see if we can schedule it in!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:52 AM
New hampshire/Vermont in the fall It's the kind of awesome that I don't even take for granted, despite having lived in the north easy part of the us all my life. And besides--it's New England. We may also have snow then as well (and later that day, it will be sunny in the high 70s, only to turn into thunderstorms..followed by more snow.).
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Why so much LA hate?
This.

Fuck San Diego.

It's pretty, but that's about it.

As for Los Angeles, the Getty has some nice views but if you're actually going for the art you'd probably see better stuff at both LACMA and MOCA, which won't be as far out of your way.

Venice Beach is a real trip and worth the time to check out the boardwalk, as well as the canals, and the food places/boutiques on Abbot Kinney Blvd.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

But how are the marinas, laz?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I might be alone on this but you don't need 6 days in Vancouver. The nature is beautiful but the city itself is small and unremarkable. Transfer some of that time to the Rockies. The Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper is the most beautiful drive on the continent IMO (yes, I've been to Cali), though that time of year you can get hit with nasty weather and the lakes won't be the glowing aqua colour. Not much to see in Calgary, save some time there.

I prefer Quebec City to Montreal by a healthy margin if you are looking for that Euro experience.

Also wouldn't recommend the train from Toronto to NYC - it will take you forever, it won't be cheap and there really is nothing interesting to see on the way. Look into flying on Porter if you want to save $, otherwise go with an airline that lands at La Guardia.

I personally love the US southwest so I'd highly recommend that. I've also found Florida to be most pleasant in early November - the drive out to Key West is lovely though that type of scenery you'd be familiar with.