We're due for a breast feeding discussion - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #106
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Please explain. I realize that my post was quite ridiculous (it was meant to be), but I think it illustrates a point. I'm using a sexual organ in a non sexual way and its 100% natural. Why should that be different?
I know you were being sarcastic, but there was a point there that perhaps I picked up on when I shouldn't.
Breasts aren't sexual organs. They may have been sexualised to within an inch of their lives in recent years(/throughout history) but at the end of the day their function is to breast feed, not procreate or urinate. So to suggest that they're in any way 'dirty' would be wrong. Why they're such a taboo and we hide them away in public is because of these misconceptions, not because of the breast itself.
__________________

__________________
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 03:58 PM
A function of signaling reproductive fitness is quite plausible, I would put human breasts into an evolutionary context, although the question demands further study.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,317
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
I know you were being sarcastic, but there was a point there that perhaps I picked up on when I shouldn't.
Breasts aren't sexual organs. .
some truth in what you say

breast do respond to sexual stimulation,

and if one wants to break it down
'parts' of what we call the sex organs and not required for procreation, therefore would one want to argue that they are not sexual?
__________________
deep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #109
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
some truth in what you say

breast to respond to sexual stimulation,

and if want to break it down 'parts' of what we call the sex organs and not required for procreation, therefore would one want to argue that they are not sexual?
Breasts respond to stimulation, not exclusively sexual.

If you're going to label a breast a sex organ, then you could pretty much describe anything as a sex organ.

You do not need breasts to get pregnant. That's basically my criteria.
__________________
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,317
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Do you need a clitoris to get pregnant?
__________________
deep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #111
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 06:58 AM
There has been recent evidence to suggest it could help.
__________________
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #112
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
I know you were being sarcastic, but there was a point there that perhaps I picked up on when I shouldn't.
Breasts aren't sexual organs. They may have been sexualised to within an inch of their lives in recent years(/throughout history) but at the end of the day their function is to breast feed, not procreate or urinate. So to suggest that they're in any way 'dirty' would be wrong. Why they're such a taboo and we hide them away in public is because of these misconceptions, not because of the breast itself.
They may not be primary sexual organs, but to say they arent sexual isnt very accurate either. Its not like a bunch of men got tired of vaginas 150 years ago and got together to figure out a new part of the anatomy to lust over. Its in men's nature to be attracted to breast. The fact that human females are the only mammals to have visible breast when not lactating is proof of this. Its in our nature. we cant help it (I said I cant help it, Damn it!!!!). But lets say say for a second that they arent at all sexual. Either are buttholes (at least they shouldnt be in the hetro community IMO...gays? go nuts), but you cant go waving those around in public eiter. For the record, I'm not opposed to public breast feeding, I just think theres a time and place and it wouldnt hurt to try to cover up a little. Its called modesty
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,317
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
There has been recent evidence to suggest it could help.
there are plenty of women conceiving and giving birth after having had that part of thier body removed to verify the argument that it is not required to get pregnant. (your criteria)
__________________
deep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #114
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
They may not be primary sexual organs, but to say they arent sexual isnt very accurate either. Its not like a bunch of men got tired of vaginas 150 years ago and got together to figure out a new part of the anatomy to lust over. Its in men's nature to be attracted to breast. The fact that human females are the only mammals to have visible breast when not lactating is proof of this. Its in our nature. we cant help it (I cant help it, Damn it!!!!). But lets say say for a second that they arent at all sexual. Either are buttholes (at least they shouldnt be in the hetro community IMO...gays? go nuts), but you cant go waving those around in public eiter. For the record, I'm not opposed to public breast feeding, I just think theres a time and place and it wouldnt hurt to try to cover up a little. Its called modesty
Just because something's some sort of institution doesn't justify it. No, breasts are not sexual, and no amount of 'but men find them sexual' will cause me to change my mind. Same goes with the breasts out in public issue. There's nothing wrong with it - it's entirely natural - and if anyone complains, it's their problem, not the woman's. If you think a woman is being immodest by breast feeding in public, then you have an interesting view on modesty.
__________________
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #115
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 03:58 PM
How is sexual attraction not natural?
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #116
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 06:58 AM
Sexual attraction/sexual in practise are two different things and the former depends on perspective.

Quite amazing how this becomes a male orientated issue, as usual.
__________________
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
If you think a woman is being immodest by breast feeding in public, then you have an interesting view on modesty.
You didnt read my post. I said I didnt have a problem with it. Why not just cover up a little though? Its really not a big deal.....And men finding breasts attractive isnt the juvenile pursuit that you seem to think of it as. Its got nothing to do with being an institution. Men all over the globe find women's breasts attractive in a sexual way. Like it or hate it, its part of nature
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
Quite amazing how this becomes a male orientated issue, as usual.
No, its not a male issue, its a people issue. But women are the only ones capable of breast feeding. Did you really think sex wouldnt come into the equation at any time????
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #119
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
You didnt read my post. I said I didnt have a problem with it. Why not just cover up a little though? Its really not a big deal.....And men finding breasts attractive isnt the juvenile pursuit that you seem to think of it as. Its got nothing to do with being an institution. Men all over the globe find women's breasts attractive in a sexual way. Like it or hate it, its part of nature
Cover up a little? How? Cower in a corner with an arm awkwardly shielding one's chest, awkwardly pull ones top up while trying to hold a baby too... I mean, by saying 'cover up a little' might as well mean 'don't do it in public.'
I don't think there's anything wrong with finding breasts attractive... but as soon as this attraction is preventing women from breast feeding comfortably, then it's an issue.
__________________
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
Sexual attraction/sexual in practise are two different things and the former depends on perspective.

Quite amazing how this becomes a male orientated issue, as usual.
I would agree that fetishising breast feeding, and making that an issue, along with topless sunbathing, is more a product of social forcing than anything innate.

And of course this is going to be a magnet for men, it's got breasts for goodness sake.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com