We're due for a breast feeding discussion - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:36 AM
A couple of things that have me confused are:

1) is she asking for 60 minutes total for breaks, or is she asking for 60 additional minutes? The first article randhail posted stated she was asking for 60 additional minutes -- more than double what everyone else gets.

2) the same article mentions the 45 minutes in breaks is for a nine-hour exam on one day. But at the end of the article it notes she already has "permission to take the test over two days instead of one" so that should cut the time spent to an average of four and a half hours each day -- not nine hours in one day.

If she was taking the exam over the course of one day I could certainly see where 45 minutes in breaks would make her extremely rushed, but if she gets to take the exam over two days I don't see why she should need nearly an hour's worth of breaks each day (that is if she is indeed asking for an additional 60 minutes in breaks). If the test and breaks are evenly spaced (and I realise they probably aren't in these tests) that would mean she would spend two hours and 15 minutes doing the test, then get a 50 minute break, then test for another two and a quarter hours, then quit for the day. Repeat the next day. That seems like a lot of time in breaks to me.

I don't think 60 minutes in breaks -- regardless of whether the test is over one day or two -- is excessive, but an hour and 45 minutes in breaks does seem to be pushing it to me. Especially if she will be taking the test over two days.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:36 AM
OK, I have not ever breast fed, lol, but I have seen plenty of women do it and I've fed many many babies breast milk from their own mothers. I've never seen someone breast feed for longer than 45 minutes nor have I ever had a baby with me drink breast milk from the bottle for longer than 45 minutes. A year ago, some of the women I work with had babies and they converted an open office into their breast pumping room. I don't ever recall them needing multiple breaks longer than 45 minutes to pump. I do understand that they have to feed or pump every 2-3 hours but it sounds like she already was getting a break?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:14 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Speaking on personal experience, I breastfed both my children.
My oldest son seemed to want to nurse every 2 hours or so, for the first couple of months. And yes, I went out to eat, over to friends and family and movies and no one ever knew I was nursing. If someone came up to see the baby, I just politely said give me a few minutes. I didn't have to make a statement, expose myself or make anyone else uncomfortable, I just needed to nurse my child.
I also didn't have to work or go to school and/or take 9 hour test.
With that said, untill he nursed less often, (I think around 3 to 4 months) I had to either wake him up or pump my breast. It hurt like hell and even became feverish. There was no way I could go 4 1/2 hours without doing one or the other because I would seriously "leak". and when "engorged I could shoot milk across a room. No nursing mother wants to go there.
I wasn't trying to do all the things this person is trying to do, but I never nursed longer than 10 to 15 minutes on each side. But most times, it was every 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
she sounds intelligent enough to have known it would be a daunting task.
One just can't expect special treatment these days without someone else suing for the same.
I would be more inclined to protest for changes in a frigging 9 hour test.. period
Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:36 PM
Here's some facts, for anyone curious, or anyone completely ignorant:

Breastfeeding women produce more milk than one who expresses, as the natural action of a feeding baby stimulates production more than an artificial pump.

Some women need up to 30 minutes per side initially. I can speak from experience on this (I could have fed a small African village 3 times a day, honestly). To put this in some kind of perspective for you all, this is around 180ml-220ml of milk PER breast PER pump. If you want a woman to keep that in, then you be the one to tell her. I'll be ducking over here, hiding.

At 4 months old, that baby is at peak feeding requirements. She's a feeding machine!

Mothers should be well hydrated and try to eat something before/during feeding. It's not really ideal to forgo scoffing down some food.

Indra, the article says she wants an additional 60 minutes. I guess that means 1 hour 45 in total? In fairness, I reckon an hour is a good compromise.

---------------------
*edited for bottle size correction
Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

It's a physiological condition-if men had a parallel one I would imagine the same concessions would be made to them. It does seem as if she has had numerous concessions made to her, but since they have all been legal well that's the way it goes. The others are disabilities which I would guess are covered by the ADA.

WCVB

"We were thrilled that a male judge understood and recognized from the papers what it means to be a nursing mother," attorney Lauren Steiller Rikleen said.

Currier's law firm, which took the case pro bono, argued that Currier risked loss of milk supply, infection and pain if she received the typical 45-minute break. The board said that it wouldn't be fair to others taking the test.

"The only people who could say, 'She is looking for an advantage here,' is someone who has no understanding of what is involved in expressing milk," Rikleen said.

An appeals court ruled, "in order to put Currier on equal footing as the male and non-lactating female examinees, she must be provided with sufficient time to pump breast milk and to address the same physiological and other functions to which those examinees are able to attend."

Currier is already getting an extra day to take the test because of disabilities including ADD and dyslexia.

"The case is not about Sophie. The case is about the rights of nursing women to be able to have a level playing field in the workforce," Rikleen said."
Old 09-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Why not just give everyone two days and a longer break? Win-win: fair, meets her needs.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:36 AM
Doesn't seem like something to get worked up over. Yes she's getting more time than other nursing Mom's who've done it in the allotted 45 minutes, but this just looks like a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease when you look at in conjunction with the other concessions she's gotten (using others' notes etc).
Old 09-27-2007, 11:36 PM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You still don't seem to understand the original purpose of breasts and the issues dealing with this paticular case.
I know what the original posted story was about, but since the title of the thread is 'we are due for a breastfeeding thread' I assumed anything dealing with the subject was fair game so I brought up the Applebee's story.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Great thread!

My two cents. One exxtra hour is reasonable. My wife, she with the beatiful breasts, says that she agrees with AngelaHarlom on her entire post.

She did have this to add....

If she felt stressed, and was actually feeding the baby verses pumping, the baby could sense it, making it difficult to feed. Babies are smart and know when things are being rushed.

She feels the 60 minutes is more than reasonable....to get the job done in a relaxing way.

My daughter nursed for a year....

My son almost two....and he, the piglet that he is (where does he get it) would nurse 20-30 minutes a breast.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Mwaqaahh......Does someone here think that they squirt dirctly into the bottle?

LOLOLOL
Old 09-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
A "woman's boob getting sucked" is a natural human function, there's nothing sexual or "dirty" about it.
I agree and disgree with this
Old 09-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #27
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I agree and disgree with this
Me too, of course it's natural, but it's not okay to be seen in public, other womens' husbands, little kids, old people, etc. I don't see a problem with covering up with a towel, if you MUST do it in public and not at home, and not use a pump and bottle. If it was raining, or cold, or if the sun was in the baby's eyes, you'd cover his head up just walking down the street, so why is it 'tramatizing' to cover up while he's nursing? The baby sucks with its eyes closed anyway. I think covering is a good compromise.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
[B]It's a physiological condition-if men had a parallel one I would imagine the same concessions would be made to them.

A little off subject, but I was just thinking about what the name of the sporting event would have been called if men had to do the breast feeding when a child was born..
Or how elaborate the breast feeding rooms would be where a man could take the baby on their numerous breast feeding breaks.
Not man bashing, please don't think that but I could see a competiton or two springing up.

Don't mind me, I'm on drugs.
(Wisdom teeth removal - there went my wisdom heehee)
Old 09-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch

Me too, of course it's natural, but it's not okay to be seen in public, other womens' husbands, little kids, old people, etc. I don't see a problem with covering up with a towel, if you MUST do it in public and not at home, and not use a pump and bottle. If it was raining, or cold, or if the sun was in the baby's eyes, you'd cover his head up just walking down the street, so why is it 'tramatizing' to cover up while he's nursing? The baby sucks with its eyes closed anyway. I think covering is a good compromise.
But why is it not OK in public, you haven't given a real reason.

Will this somehow traumatize a kid? Will other husbands automatically not be able to control their urges? Will old people get jealous and become violent?

You don't place a towel over your kids head unless you are Michael Jackson, and we all know how good of a parent he is...
Old 09-29-2007, 12:21 AM   #30
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch

if you MUST do it in public and not at home, and not use a pump and bottle.
If you *must* do it in public? Do you expect a nursing mother to stay home until her baby is weaned? You can't really control when your baby is hungry, and if she's feeding every 2-3 hours, chances are she's going to be caught sometime when she's out of the house.