Victorian bushfires and heatwave thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #31
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:36 AM
The death toll is now officially 108. It just keeps going up. This is ... beyond comprehension.

And to add to the death toll, there are also the victims of the heat wave. 33 deaths in Victoria and 75 in South Australia attributed to it thus far.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 04:36 PM
Hopeful vibes for all the Aussies here and your families and friends.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Is there any evidence for arson?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #34
She's the One

Local Time: 08:36 AM
I can't believe what I'm hearing about these fires. We have them here in SoCal, but not on this scale and never ever with so many people dead.

I just can't believe it.

I'm so sorry for all those poor people who have lost so much.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer
The fires are a statistically inevitability, of course they may become more frequent with climate change, it may well have been a lot worse (in terms of lives lost, families and communities broken down, and property loss); I'd hate to imagine what it would be like with these conditions 20 years ago.

Fire is an intrinsic feature of the Australian bush | Germaine Greer - Times Online

Quote:
Fire is an essential element in the life cycle of Australian forests. Season by season sclerophyll or “hard-leaved” woodlands build up huge amounts of detritus, shed leaves, bark and twiggery, which must burn if there is to be new growth. Many Australian species, including most of the eucalypts, need fire if they are to complete their reproductive cycle. Seeds encased in woody receptacles need their capsules to be split by fire before they can be released to germinate.

For 40 or maybe 60 millennia, Aboriginal peoples managed fire proactively, setting alight woodland, scrubland and grassland, so that they could pass freely, so that game was driven towards them, so that fresh green herbage was available. Aboriginal languages have dozens of words for fire. As the Endeavour sailed up the eastern coast, Captain Cook noted that the skies were darkened with smoke by day and lit up by fire at night.
Quote:
The most disheartening aspect of the Kinglake disaster is that since its foundation in the 1880s the township has suffered regular bushfires, in 1926, in 1939, in the 1960s, in the Ash Wednesday fires of 1983; two years ago almost to the day 1,500 hectares were destroyed by fire, but nothing was learnt. The cause of these disasters is not global warming; still less is it arson. It is the failure to recognise that fire is an intrinsic feature of eucalypt bushland. It cannot be prevented but it can and should be managed. Unless there is a fundamental change of policy across all levels of government in Australia, there will be more and worse fires and more deaths.
(Bold added by me)
Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Someone was going around re-igniting the fires in Gippsland I think, After some of the smaller ones were contained. Bastards.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #37
Vocal parasite

Turns out the smoke from the fires was enough to darken the sky thousands of kilometres across the Tasman in New Zealand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
they had to be fast moving fires to kill that many people.
To put the speed into context, the fires are so fucking fast that they have caught people trying to escape in their cars. The firefighters and emergency personnel are finding numerous people dead in the charred remains of their cars.

Quote:
Yep, some cunts are even relighting fires that have been contained.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

You have photographic evidence for these claims?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #39
Vocal parasite

Fuck off.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Logic and rationality are more more likely to produce a correct result than emotionalism and kneejerk reactions.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
you're not serious.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #42
Jesus Online

Quote:
Are you familiar with a typical raging Australian bushfire in peak fire season?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Turns out the smoke from the fires was enough to darken the sky thousands of kilometres across the Tasman in New Zealand.

To put the speed into context, the fires are so fucking fast that they have caught people trying to escape in their cars. The firefighters and emergency personnel are finding numerous people dead in the charred remains of their cars.

Yep, some cunts are even relighting fires that have been contained.
Yeah, also with all the thick smoke around, people were driving around, and with little or no vision of the road at all, some of them have died from crashing into trees ect......the heat from these fires would be enough to kill you even before the flames went through the car. This is fucked up.

Fires still going everywhere: Statewide Current Incident Summary - Country Fire Authority
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Fuck off.
+1
Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #44
Jesus Online

Quote:
Logic and rationality are more more likely to produce a correct result than emotionalism and kneejerk reactions.
Logic and rationality dictate that nature did not start all of these fires.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #45
Vocal parasite

I repeat: fuck off.

This thread is no place for you to try to prove some dumbarse FYM point. Take it elsewhere. Start your own goddamned thread and keep your tacky posturing out of this one while those of us who actually fucking live here try to come to terms with the enormity of what happened. People I know have lost friends and family. I could get to Kinglake in under an hour. Wineries I know well in the Yarra Valley have been destroyed. I don't give a shit about your "logic and rationality" bollocks.

As if I or any other ordinary members of the community are going to breach the roadblocks to take photos of arsonists anyway, and if the firefighters and police happen to have such imagery, that's obviously going to criminal investigations. They obviously have evidence and can identify arson when it happens. For god's sake, don't be dense.

Gig pictures | Blog