U S Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat, shot at public appearance!! - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #511
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Giffords removed from respirator, has tracheotomy

Old 01-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #512
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:15 AM
Good to hear that about Giffords' progress . Admire her fighting spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
First I never said that there was an imminent Communist takeover. That's BVS's exagerration.
You may not have outright said it, but you sure seem to have an obsession with the idea.

Quote:
The reality is that many ideas of the left the Communists also support (Worldwide Cap and Trade w/ tradebarriers for countries that don't sign on, single payer healthcare systems a la Canada). Those two areas by themselves would constitute a large portion of the economy.
So...just because different groups might be in agreement on an idea or two here and there, this automatically means they're one and the same on everything?

I've found myself agreeing with 2861U2 a few times in this thread. And we're about as different politically as they come. You can agree with people on certain things without going along with their entire belief system altogether. I like the idea of more accessible health care, too, but communist I am not.

Quote:
When a government hires communists like Anita Dunn and Van Jones and when Democrats infight with themselves over a left-wing agenda you know that Obama is far-left.
You realize some of the infighting is also due to the fact that there are Democrats that are more conservative, too, right?

And I question your accusation of those people being communists, because apparently, everybody who even leans slightly left to you is in danger of being a communist.

Obama. Is. Not. Far. Left. I want you to repeat this over and over.

Quote:
I don't worry because of what just happened in the last election.
Yeah, we'll see how well the Republicans pan out. They're kind of hurting themselves quite a bit as of late.

Quote:
When it comes to healthcare I don't like the U.S. status quo but I still want as much competition in healthcare as possible.
There's your first problem: Health care shouldn't BE competitive. Its ultimate goal is to take care of people, not to see who can rack up the most patients or who can get the newest technologies and treatments first or who can make the most money. This isn't McDonald's ("Over 100 million patients treated!").

Quote:
There are problems with a government runned health care system you know. Having universal access to a lineup is not what many Americans are used to.
I never said a government system was perfect. I've no doubt it has its issues like any other.

And what do you mean by a "lineup", exactly?

All I want is for people to be able to afford to go to the doctor when they need to, to get treated properly and not have to sit there with an endless stream of bills they can't pay off. I've watched my parents go through that, I've seen what it does to people. It sucks, and it shouldn't be happening. I'm not asking for the government to start controlling every last aspect of my health decisions (why do you think I'm so deadset against them controlling things related to women's bodies?) or whatever other crazy crap people think it is we'll ask for.

Quote:
Even Michael Moore agrees with the lineups because it bothers him less than the current system. Many Americans don't agree with that.
I really don't care what Michael Moore thinks on this issue. And just because many Americans support/don't support something doesn't mean it's right.

Quote:
Maybe the U.S. could afford more for healthcare if they spent less on military
Hey, there's an idea...

Quote:
but since they are the major superpower to defend Democracy you would need Canadians and Europeans to spend less on their social programs so they could increase their military might to allow the U.S. to draw down.
Eh? How about everyone scale back on their military a bit? I don't want anyone to increase their military might any more than they have to.

Yeah. We're doing a bang-up job of defending democracy, we are. Hell, we're having difficulty making it work here in our own country.

Quote:
Until I see that happening in actual international deals it's just a dream. I don't think Europe would or even could do that quickly. It would take years and political infights in their own countries to take up that responsibility.
I really don't get what this has to do with what the conversation started with, but okay. Seriously, this thread has taken some really odd twists and turns over the last week.

Angela

Old 01-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #513
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Just the fact that purpleoscar bothers capitalizing 'communists', as if there is a genuine, powerful movement or party to turn the U.S. into Soviet Russia, is pretty funny.

He's honestly very close to dropping the old line about the single North American currency, super highway from Canada all the way to Mexico, etc.

Get off the conservative blogs, man, they're bad for your mind.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #514
Blue Crack Distributor

I just needed to get this off of my chest. I honest to God thought you guys were talking about the BAND Rush when you were referring to some song about Obama's skin color. It JUST occured to me that you were referring to the man Rush....not the band.

(not that I needed to embarrass myself like that, but I think we could all use a laugh)
Old 01-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #515
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Awwwwwww, oh, no! Eh, well, hey, since we were talking about a song, that makes sense that you'd make such a connection.

I have a really odd mental image in my head from that now. Heh. Confusion aside, you're right, we certainly needed a light moment, so thank you .

I think we all could do well to turn the heat down just a bit in here-the discussion is fascinating and I'm all for continuing it, just, let's try and remember the pleas that have been made so far about changing the dialogue. And I'm including myself in this, too.

Angela
Old 01-16-2011, 12:30 AM   #516
Blue Crack Distributor

How completely unsurprising that this thread has gone the way of so many other FYM threads about politics. The same handful of people bickering.

Wonderful news to hear how well Giffords is doing.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #517
Blue Crack Addict

Also meant to respond to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post
Angela

I don't think ( remembering last nights look) Bono looked very happy in the foto with Beck.
Hello !

His expression did look a bit "Meh", yeah. But he has a great ability to be able to be around anyone, no matter who it is, and still manage to stay respectable and roll with the situation. It is rather pleasing to see two people such as them not run in the other direction the moment they see each other.

Angela
Old 01-16-2011, 03:16 AM   #518
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
And I question your accusation of those people being communists, because apparently, everybody who even leans slightly left to you is in danger of being a communist.
Be afraid, very afraid!

Quote:
Just don't send oscar to Prof. Umbridge !

Quote:
There's your first problem: Health care shouldn't BE competitive. Its ultimate goal is to take care of people, not to see who can rack up the most patients or who can get the newest technologies and treatments first or who can make the most money. This isn't McDonald's ("Over 100 million patients treated!").
ohhhh, gawd!

Quote:
All I want is for people to be able to afford to go to the doctor when they need to, to get treated properly and not have to sit there with an endless stream of bills they can't pay off. I've watched my parents go through that, I've seen what it does to people. It sucks, and it shouldn't be happening. I'm not asking for the government to start controlling every last aspect of my health decisions (why do you think I'm so deadset against them controlling things related to women's bodies?) or whatever other crazy crap people think it is we'll ask for.

Angela
& basically "amen!"
Old 01-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #519
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Also meant to respond to this:

His expression did look a bit "Meh", yeah. But he has a great ability to be able to be around anyone, no matter who it is, and still manage to stay respectable and roll with the situation. It is rather pleasing to see two people such as them not run in the other direction the moment they see each other.

Angela
It's a very useful trait at times!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #520
Blue Crack Supplier

I was very happy to hear (the latest) that Rep Gifford's is continuing to recover bit by bit,and sometimes more- relatively speaking! She's got a tough road ahead, but people do recovery to various degrees from Traumatic Brain Injury.

I sort of knew someone who had a car accident related TBI. She hd to learn to lean to walk, read & write all over again.

Anyway... Go, Gaabbie!

I hope the other's we are not hearing about (at least nationally) are doing well in their various recoveries as well.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #521
Blue Crack Addict

The father of Christina Green, the youngest of six people killed January 8 at U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' meet-and-greet outside an Arizona supermarket, told CNN Friday that some of his daughter's organs "went to a little girl in Boston."

"It was very poignant to find out. That's what Christina was all about," John Green said. "It's a blessing."

Asked whether he and his wife would like to meet the girl who received the organ one day if she were willing, John Green said, "Oh yes, and I'd give her a big hug."
Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #522
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:15 AM
even more good news! wtg Gabby

Senator: Giffords moving both sides of her body, breathing on her own - CNN.com
Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #523
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Quote:
You realize some of the infighting is also due to the fact that there are Democrats that are more conservative, too, right?

No it's just that when communists openly support certain policies it's not because of a massive violent proletarian revolution is going to happen tomorrow, it's because they like the direction it's going (left) and expect over generations new Democrats will continue to go in that direction. That's why a lot of what conservatives support today was considered more liberal a century ago. If Obama got everything he wanted new generations of leftists would keep going left and they wouldn't hang up their hats and stop proposing new legislation to increase government. Just like on the right there are some who would reduce the size of the government to nothing (but won't have much popular support). The trajectory for the past century has been to increase the government ownership of GDP with some small steps back once and a while. Right now the U.S. needs to step back on the fiscal side and monetary side.

Quote:
You're going to have to tell Newsweek because they will be very disappointed:

Quote:
Hey I think some patients waiting for surgical procedures wouldn't mind the McDonald's refrain. All kidding aside government monopolies are slower. I'm talking about competition to improve service.

Quote:
I never said a government system was perfect. I've no doubt it has its issues like any other.

And what do you mean by a "lineup", exactly?
I agree there's no perfect system because everyone dies, but there's still a debate on which system is better (Switzerland, France, Canada, Taiwan, Japan, Sweden, and the U.S.). What you find is the left likes more government and the right likes more of the private sector involved so the political "battlelines" (oops did I use an incitement word) are drawn.

When the government runs the system from top to bottom they ration care to keep costs down so lineups increase.

Quote:
I understand that the WWII style of healthcare needs to change but Americans have to decide if they want to wait longer for care (therefore pay less) or to get care sooner (this especially for people with joint problems) but have to pay for insurance or get a big bill. I do like the idea of a mandatory insurance system (separate from employment) because the current version of healthcare allows people to avoid getting insurance and then later ask for government subsidies if something goes wrong in an unexpected accident.

Quote:
I really don't care what Michael Moore thinks on this issue. And just because many Americans support/don't support something doesn't mean it's right.
We'll see how that debate goes because repeal will be attempted and this will likely go into the next election cycle. I suppose if the quality stayed the same and the costs went down (yeah right) there would be more support.

Quote:
Hey, there's an idea...
I'm pretty sure European electorates would prevent their governments from doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Which interview, help me out here... Who did Sarah mention?

Or is this like the "several Dems attacked Republicans who were anchor babies thing"?
EXCLUSIVE: Roger Ailes & Russell Simmons: Both Sides Are Wrong | Global Grind

Quote:
Russell Simmons: One thing I am sick of...I really want to see the people govern this country. And I want to see the people on the Right’s voice be respected, and the people on the Left's voice be respected-

Roger Ailes: That’s what should happen. You know, they’re using this thing...apparently there was a map from one of Palin’s things that had her (Congresswoman Giffords) targeted district. So, we looked at the internet and the first thing we found in 2007, the Democrat Party had a targeted map with targets on it for the Palin district. These maps have been used for for years that I know of. I have two pictures of myself with a bull's-eye on my head. This is just bullshit. This goes on... both sides are wrong, but they both do it.

I told all of our guys, shut up, tone it down, make your argument intellectually. You don’t have to do it with bombast. I hope the other side does that.
YouTube - Sarah Palin - America's Enduring Strength (in HD) 12th Jan 2011
2:16 she mentions that both sides of the aisle use similar maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Wake up and smell the coffee,
Taiwan will be main-streamed into China, much like Honk Kong.

This is taking place now, and the concept of an invasion is just silly.
So that's why they do military drills towards each other. Taiwan is only one example. A more obvious one would be North Korea. In fact include allys that neighbor any dictatorship.

Even now there is a steady weakening of Democracy throughout the world. It's not the end of the world but it's at least something to be concerned about:

http://www.freedomhouse.org/images/F...et_1_11_11.pdf

Quote:
The increasing truculence of the world’s most powerful authoritarian regimes has coincided with a growing inability or unwillingness on the part of the world’s democracies to meet the authoritarian challenge, with important consequences for the state of global freedom.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #524
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Oscar you apparently didn't actually read the Newsweek article did you?

And I was right, no links to those maps.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #525
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
If Obama got everything he wanted new generations of leftists would keep going left and they wouldn't hang up their hats and stop proposing new legislation to increase government.
That is insane, paranoid bullshit.

Tags
loughner note, rush limbaugh, sheriff dupnik