The Even Gayer than the Gay thread - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #391
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,661
Local Time: 12:52 PM
These loons are going to be picketing tonight's Blue Jays-Royals game because Canada has same-sex marriage equality.
__________________

__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #392
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 08:52 AM
Anything for attention
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #393
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
These loons are going to be picketing tonight's Blue Jays-Royals game because Canada has same-sex marriage equality.
Oh noes!


Seriously, how much noise can they make compared to an Arena full of sports fans?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #394
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,474
Local Time: 11:52 AM
I've seen them firsthand and even snapped a selfie next to a guy holding a "repent or perish" sign.

They are pathetic and small. There were maybe 7 of them. Not to be taken seriously in any way.

In case you were wondering, I chose "perish."
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #395
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 05:52 PM
The Next Time Someone Uses The Bible To Say Homosexuality Is A Sin, Show Them This.

Not sure how much of this is true, but it is a rather amusing read.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #396
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 08:52 AM
As I've mentioned in the past, not to sound like a broken record, but it's true in a sense.

It's certainly amusing to point at Lev. and the law and show Christians to be hypocrites for a variety of reasons beyond the obvious. The thing is, though, that the Old Law does not exactly apply to Christianity as a religion. It's a code to try and follow, but it's not the basis of rules for Christianity, but it is for Judaism. Or at least to my understanding it is.

So, once the Old Law was "fulfilled" by Jesus' sacrificial death, basically Paul's writings became the new guide to how to live in this new era.

To that effect: Paul still referred to homosexuality as a sin, whereas he went at length to explain why the food stuff is no longer a sin if you didn't already practice those customs. Specifically he says, " “The faith that you have, have as your own conviction before God. Blessed are those who have no reason to condemn themselves because of what they approve. But those who have doubts are condemned if they eat, because they do not act from faith;for whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.

But again: It's a guide. It's not black and white, because nothing ever is, except to try and trust in Jesus / God. There's more in this article, actually, which is pretty decent if you're interested: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/mercyno...omans-1413-23/

So, anyways, sorry to ruin your joke. I do find it funny. This is just one of those things that constantly irritates me .
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #397
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 05:52 PM
That is interesting indeed. You didn't ruin anything, I already had a feeling there was more to it than just the old testament. Though that line you say Paul said could be interested in different ways too. I mean, if I honestly believe I'm doing the right thing by being myself, one could call that an act of faith too. So if I'm acting out of my own faith, it is not a sin, right?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #398
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 08:52 AM
That's the grey difficult line to read.

Christianity is, in my interpretation, more about faith, doing charitable works, and being humble, than it is about keeping an itemized list of right and wrong, or judging others lists of right and wrong. It's a really personal faith that also relies on community for guidance, but ultimately comes down to the individual and their relationship with God.

So, yeah, the people that holds up the signs and claim God's judgement? They couldn't have it more wrong in my eyes.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #399
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: southwest USA
Posts: 3,302
Local Time: 04:52 PM
The Even Gayer than the Gay thread

Romans 1:25-26
"For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

I Corinthians 6:9-10
"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."
And lastly, Jude 1:7 "Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire."

Does this give Christians the right to hate homosexuals? Obviously not. But I think scripture paints a brutal, yet clear, image of not only homosexuality, but all unrepentant sin. Many will argue that homosexuality is worse than other sexual sins due to the fact that it is believed by many to be a perversion of God's plan and being contrary to nature. But this is not the time nor the place for that debate.
__________________
bobsaget77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #400
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,656
Local Time: 10:52 AM
Those are pretty crappy interpretations, the term "homosexuality" does not show up in any of the original languages used in the original text.

And the first needs context; it's not about the acts but the free for all that took place.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #401
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: southwest USA
Posts: 3,302
Local Time: 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Those are pretty crappy interpretations, the term "homosexuality" does not show up in any of the original languages used in the original text.

And the first needs context; it's not about the acts but the free for all that took place.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Glad that someone who is not a believer is telling me how to interpret scripture. Thanks for that wonderfully, uneducated advice once again. Where would we all be without BVS incredible knowledge.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
bobsaget77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #402
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,351
Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post

Glad that someone who is not a believer is telling me how to interpret scripture. Thanks for that wonderfully, uneducated advice once again. Where would we all be without BVS incredible knowledge.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So, because you believe in God, your English comprehension skills are better than his? Okay...
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #403
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,656
Local Time: 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post

Glad that someone who is not a believer is telling me how to interpret scripture. Thanks for that wonderfully, uneducated advice once again. Where would we all be without BVS incredible knowledge.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Wow, that's a grossly misinformed assumption.

I've studied the bible for more than 30 years, taught the bible, and have a true theologian in my family that I've spoke very extensively with about this subject.

Wow...


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #404
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,661
Local Time: 12:52 PM
So we're basing interpretations on texts thousands of years old, a time when the people who wrote them had no real scientific understanding of the world, including that people are born gay?

OK.
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #405
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 05:52 PM
Sooo, does the bible only specifically refer to homosexuality between men as a sin then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
So we're basing interpretations on texts thousands of years old, a time when the people who wrote them had no real scientific understanding of the world, including that people are born gay?

OK.
Personally, I'm not putting any value in the science of a book written that long ago. I'm just trying to gain a bit of understanding why there are people who do and why they condemn me for it, especially with today's scientific knowledge. Sadly, I still don't seem to understand this though.
__________________

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com