Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:52 PM
The EU Elections - The Results.

I've started another thread (as the other wasn't so specific) and people can post as their respective countries results come in. So far it's looking pretty dismal for the British left (with the BNP having won a seat for the first time, and UKIP coming second) and it seems like it's going to be a rather right wing parliament on the whole too.

A running commentary here -
BBC NEWS | Special Reports | Election 09

Thoughts?

Old 06-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks for this.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

But why would the Irish equivalent not have done as well as UKIP? I just cannot understand that. I take it Libertas take the 'irish jobs for irish people' stance? And while I disagree with it wholly, why on earth would people in the UK go for that but not people in Ireland?
Alas, the Irish are evidently not so niave.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Thanks for this.
And I never can decide when you're being sarcastic, Financeguy!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

The BNP have won a seat in Yorkshire and Humber.

Looks as if they will take at least 2 then with Nick Griffin in NW.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
And I never can decide when you're being sarcastic, Financeguy!
Er, no, I wasn't.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
But why would the Irish equivalent not have done as well as UKIP? I just cannot understand that. I take it Libertas take the 'irish jobs for irish people' stance? And while I disagree with it wholly, why on earth would people in the UK go for that but not people in Ireland?
Alas, the Irish are evidently not so niave.
UKIP have been in existence for quite a few years and have slowly but surely built up their base. Libertas basically came from nowwhere about a year ago. A lot of questions have been raised about where they are getting the money to finance their extensive, though ultimately unsuccessful campaigns in the Euro's. Also, the Eurosceptic vote is really quite small in Ireland as compared to the UK, notwithstanding the no to Lisbon vote last year.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Er, no, I wasn't.
Being overly paranoid on my part, when in FYM, is always a good thing

Quote:
UKIP have been in existence for quite a few years and have slowly but surely built up their base. Libertas basically came from nowwhere about a year ago. A lot of questions have been raised about where they are getting the money to finance their extensive, though ultimately unsuccessful campaigns in the Euro's. Also, the Eurosceptic vote is really quite small in Ireland as compared to the UK, notwithstanding the no to Lisbon vote last year.
Yes, I suppose UKIP's relative 'old hat' status has worked in their favour this year when it hasn't in the past, but I'd still expect the increase in eurosceptics to be a general trend irrelevant of the country in a time like this. Perhaps the no on the Lisbon treaty has quelled any potential fear of progression and therefore Irish sceptics have become somewhat complacent?

Quote:
The BNP have won a seat in Yorkshire and Humber.

Looks as if they will take at least 2 then with Nick Griffin in NW.
I've just seen, perhaps a further kick in the teeth seeing that smug twat being interviewed on the bbc right now. I'd be surprised if he didn't get it.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Yes, I suppose UKIP's relative 'old hat' status has worked in their favour this year when it hasn't in the past, but I'd still expect the increase in eurosceptics to be a general trend irrelevant of the country in a time like this. Perhaps the no on the Lisbon treaty has quelled any potential fear of progression and therefore Irish sceptics have become somewhat complacent?
Historically, euroscepticism in Ireland has been mainly associated with the left rather than the right. I think that with the anti-government vote largely benefiting left wing parties, Libertas, being right wing, lost out.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I've just seen, perhaps a further kick in the teeth seeing that smug twat being interviewed on the bbc right now. I'd be surprised if he didn't get it.
The anniversary of D-Day and people are electing fascists. There's something not right about that.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #11
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
The anniversary of D-Day and people are electing fascists. There's something not right about that.
Seeing BNP members out on the beaches with the war veterans, pointing at them and saying, 'these are who we're fighting for!' causes me great confusion.

Hope Not Hate | Nick Griffin: Not in my name

And it seems that the entire parliament has actually had loses on the right since 2004, and gains in smaller parties. So a definite rise in the amount of single issue support then.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:52 PM
As Nick said, dont blame him. The real shame is people not voting, thats the biggest snub on the week of the anniversary of D-Day. Your either for or against democracy, you either respect people’s votes or you don’t. If people want to vote BNP fair play to them. Two fingers to the mob outside of Manchester town hall last night who tried to stop the democratic process.

The media have too much power in this country.
BNP won seats, not on the back of MP expenses but because of immigration. Immigration is a real issue in not only this country but in Europe and people shouldnt be afraid of saying it.

Great speech last night i must say. YouTube - Nick Griffin BNP Victory Speech-Euro Elections 2009

I voted UKIP btw and im a labour supporter.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:52 PM
Quote:
" Nick Griffin and Andrew Brons have won seats in the European Parliament - but they do not represent Britain. "

So the people of the North West and Yorkshire dont count then ?

People must learn to respect the vote of the electorate. If people dont like a party, get up off your feet and vote. Its simple lmao.

30-40% turn out is a joke.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

I absolutely do not respect the vote of the electorate - that party should not have been on the electorate in the first place. This makes me rethink everything I've ever felt about free speech, too.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
As Nick said, dont blame him. The real shame is people not voting, thats the biggest snub on the week of the anniversary of D-Day. Your either for or against democracy, you either respect people’s votes or you don’t. If people want to vote BNP fair play to them. Two fingers to the mob outside of Manchester town hall last night who tried to stop the democratic process.

The media have too much power in this country.
BNP won seats, not on the back of MP expenses but because of immigration. Immigration is a real issue in not only this country but in Europe and people shouldnt be afraid of saying it.

Great speech last night i must say. YouTube - Nick Griffin BNP Victory Speech-Euro Elections 2009

I voted UKIP btw and im a labour supporter.
This crowd are the direct ideological descendants of people that put Jews in ovens in the 1940s. Do you have any mentally or physically handicapped friends or relatives? Any friends and relatives that are minority ethnic groups?

Tags
eu parliament