Sin - Crime - Immorality > same? similar? different?? - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #166
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Of course you would, you're a straight, white man.

Ain't that great of a deal for the rest of us.

Sorry, but I don't take classist lectures from wealthy white bien-pensant Wall Street lawyers. Your riposte just shows quite simply that when lefties aren't prepared to grow up and debate the actual issues, or when they run out of arguments, they resort to cheap nasty slurs and bigotry.

It's interesting to note that the only racism in this thread has come from liberals - Irvine's cheap comment about the medicare white elderly elite, and now your nonsense.
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #167
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
So, basically what you're saying is selfishness vs selflessness?
Not, that isn't what I'm saying. I can't think of anything more selfish that expecting taxpayers who work to finance the lifestyles of non-taxpayers who chose not to bother.
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #168
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,693
Local Time: 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy

Not, that isn't what I'm saying. I can't think of anything more selfish that expecting taxpayers who work to finance the lifestyles of non-taxpayers who chose not to bother.
And yet you ALWAYS choose to ignore those who did choose to bother. How convenient...
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #169
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
yeah, the people fucking things up with their selfishness are the people born 1945-1965. they want health care and social security for themselves, but not for poor people or for younger people. nor do they want to pay taxes. they want all that shit for free, yo.
That, in itself, is a reasonable point, and I'd largely agree - the boomers fucked the younger generation.

What is disappointing and unnecessary is that you have to bring the race issue into it, in another thread.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #170
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And yet you ALWAYS choose to ignore those who did choose to bother. How convenient...
Nope. You're wrong. You're telling lies again. In fact, as I've already stated, I have no issues with short term unemployment assistance and I myself have availed of it.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #171
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Sorry, but I don't take classist lectures from wealthy white bien-pensant Wall Street lawyers. Your riposte just shows quite simply that when lefties aren't prepared to grow up and debate the actual issues, or when they run out of arguments, they resort to cheap nasty slurs and bigotry.
First of all, because you don't know me, you're off base, but that's nothing new. I left my old job a while ago, and probably for the same reason that you would have done so.

Second, it's not about growing up, it's about reality. Why would I as a woman want to go back to the 1950s? Why would Sean as a black man? Or Irvine as a gay man? What does this have to do with growing up? What a ridiculous comment, honestly.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #172
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
First of all, because you don't know me, you're off base, but that's nothing new. I left my old job a while ago, and probably for the same reason that you would have done so.
Glad to hear it, that career would have deadened your soul in the long run.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Second, it's not about growing up, it's about reality. Why would I as a woman want to go back to the 1950s? Why would Sean as a black man? Or Irvine as a gay man? What does this have to do with growing up? What a ridiculous comment, honestly.
I did not argue for going back to the 1950s in any sense other than reexamining the welfare state - simply because, I do not think in the western world, we can afford it. Clearly, I am not suggesting that we go back to treating homosexuals, women or black people as second class citizens - I am on the record as supporting gay marriage for example.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #173
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
And this, I think, neatly crystallizes the difference between conservatism and liberalism. Life, at it's core, is harsh and difficult at times. Conservatives don't deny this, whereas liberals attempt to solve the problem by giving enough money to everyone, by redistribution of income. Not only does this not solve the problem, it builds up even bigger problems in the long run. As Thatcher put it, the problem with socialists that eventually they run out of other peoples' money.
This is the most infuriatingly obtuse thing I've read in a long time.

You have it exactly backwards, FG. It is the liberals who are realistic about the nature of life being harsh, not the conservatives. The conservatives are the ones who perpetuate bullshit notions like the American Dream, the idea that life will reward so long as you work hard. It is the conservatives who say that life will only treat you poorly if you are lazy.

The liberals are the ones who actually have the wherewithall to stand up and say, "There are hard working people who are getting dicked over by the system." There are people out there who work their ass off and have nothing to show for it purely out of circumstance. Liberals are the ones who are realistic, the ones who say that life is hard, and some people are getting an unfair shake for no reason.

Conservatives will just say that you're only poor if you're lazy. That's unrealistic. You see that as pragmatic. It's actually just being an uneducated asshole.

I'm not calling for a system where the people who have good jobs have to finance the people who aren't that fortunate (the notion that this is a "lifestyle," as if it is some fucking choice, is bullshit and you should know better). But I am calling for a system that recognizes its own inherent flaws. Liberals propose a system that is realistic about class structure in this country. Conservatives propose a system that implies that class is a direct result of what people deserve.

So don't fucking tell me that conservatives are the realistic ones. It's a lie. A bitter, rotten lie to its very core.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #174
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,693
Local Time: 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy

Nope. You're wrong. You're telling lies again. In fact, as I've already stated, I have no issues with short term unemployment assistance and I myself have availed of it.
Yet that's only a small portion of who I'm talking about.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #175
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
This is the most infuriatingly obtuse thing I've read in a long time.

You have it exactly backwards, FG. It is the liberals who are realistic about the nature of life being harsh, not the conservatives. The conservatives are the ones who perpetuate bullshit notions like the American Dream, the idea that life will reward so long as you work hard. It is the conservatives who say that life will only treat you poorly if you are lazy.

The liberals are the ones who actually have the wherewithall to stand up and say, "There are hard working people who are getting dicked over by the system." There are people out there who work their ass off and have nothing to show for it purely out of circumstance. Liberals are the ones who are realistic, the ones who say that life is hard, and some people are getting an unfair shake for no reason.

Conservatives will just say that you're only poor if you're lazy. That's unrealistic. You see that as pragmatic. It's actually just being an uneducated asshole.

I'm not calling for a system where the people who have good jobs have to finance the people who aren't that fortunate (the notion that this is a "lifestyle," as if it is some fucking choice, is bullshit and you should know better). But I am calling for a system that recognizes its own inherent flaws. Liberals propose a system that is realistic about class structure in this country. Conservatives propose a system that implies that class is a direct result of what people deserve.

So don't fucking tell me that conservatives are the realistic ones. It's a lie. A bitter, rotten lie to its very core.
Just because you've applied your idea of what conservative values represent, and found them wanting, and then, no doubt, not found yourself wanting and duly congratulated yourself on your social conscience, doesn't make it true. I don't accept any of the characteristics you've applied to conservatives as applying to me. I don't fit any of these characteristics that you've outlined and applied to conservatives.

If you seriously and genuinely don't believe some on welfare treat it as a more-or-less permanent, life-long lifestyle choice, and/or a means of financing their drug habits, then come to Dublin some day, and I'll point them out to you. I'll show your their pastimes (principally, hanging around, claiming dole, court appearances, taking, buying and selling drugs), I'll explain how they use the public purse as a means of financing their lifestyle choices - better yet, we can talk to them directly, and they can explain themselves. And they're completely unapologetic, by the way - they literally don't know any better. All these people I'm talking about are 100% white Irish ethnically, incidentally, so there's no racism in this. It's not like in the US, they can't blame it on slavery, or something that happened to their great-great-great-grampy back in the 1860's or whatever.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #176
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Yet that's only a small portion of who I'm talking about.
Ok, you've basically retracted your earlier post - fair enough.

So, what else are you talking about?
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #177
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,693
Local Time: 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy

Ok, you've basically retracted your earlier post - fair enough.

So, what else are you talking about?
No, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #178
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,496
Local Time: 10:38 PM
Shocking, I know, that one would bring race into a thread about immigration. Liberals are the real racists, I know luv.

I'm largely far to busy these days -- being a liberal elitist urban media type -- to bother fully engaging in here. Occasionally something of interest will pop up, but quite honestly, I'm far more interested in discussing the fact that Michael Phelps will be swimming the 400 IM tomorrow at the Olympic trials tomorrow after swearing off the event in 2008 and also that we are just 3 weeks away from season 5 of Breaking Bad.

It's far more productive and fun than attempting to meaningfully engage anymore.

I blame myself.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #179
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Glad to hear it, that career would have deadened your soul in the long run.
Why make such generalizations? My brother is a Wall Street lawyer and probably one of the nicest and coolest people you'd meet. Shouldn't paint 'em all with the same brush
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #180
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 09:38 PM
I'll reply more in full to this and other threads tomorrow night, when I'm not so dead tired and can think better.

But I do want to simply comment on this quickly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
In fact, the western world is currently undergoing the painful, harsh process of being reminded that societies cannot live beyond their means in the long run.
I agree living beyond one's means does lead to many problems, but I assume you also are aware that sometimes we wind up spending more money than we can afford to spend not because we wanted to, but because we had to.

Families who found themselves in massive debt when someone got very sick suddenly come to mind. They find themselves paying for way more things than they ever thought they would be paying for as a result, and they wind up in financial struggle.

And then there are those who do live within their means, but their means still aren't enough for them to make any sort of a decent living on.
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com