Should 'Fatties' Get A Room? Even On TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a bulimic / anorexic has a health risk more like a morbidly obese person than a fat person that chooses to join a self-help group like over-eaters anonymous?
An anorexic certainly does. Still, all three of these are psychiatric disorders. I'm not sure how OA is depicted in the show--partly why I asked if anyone's seen it--but they certainly don't present themselves as just another weight-loss group:
OA is not just about weight loss, gain or maintenance; or obesity or diets...We believe that compulsive eating is a progressive illness, one that, like alcoholism and some other illnesses, can be arrested. Remember, there is no shame in admitting you have a problem; the most important thing is to do something about it.
ETA, something like 40-50 per cent of the country is over weight, what per cent do you think is bulimic? 2% :shrug:
Again, you can't tell if someone has an eating disorder just by looking at them. Overweight ≠ compulsive overeater, underweight ≠ anorexic.
Who would the advertisers be? laxative companies, children's fashions?
:eyebrow: Kind of making my point for me here, aren't you?

Last edited:
It's not ok to glorify unhealthy body images in entertainment.

It's especially not ok is to slam the dignity and humanity of those who struggle with both extremes.

Maura Kelly didn't write a blog post to open a worthy discussion about a serious and complex public health issue and how it should be handled in the world of entertainment.

She used that as an excuse to open a nasty tirade about her offended sense of aesthetics. And if that wasn't enough, she threw in a condescending bit on proper diet and exercise.

Then a forced, half-assed, explain-y "apology".

I'm not so much defending the article (the author is clearly an idiot and just looking to stir the pot), but rather addressing the responses. It wouldn't be difficult to dig up some posts on interference that, while much more articulate, would be basically saying the same thing Kelly is, though they would be pointed at rail thin models instead of overweight actors. And you'd be hard pressed to find someone disagreeing with them. It seems, in that instance, the 'healthy body image' stance is perfectly acceptable. So too would comments like 'she looks like a skeleton' or, as Cori mentioned, the ever present 'someone get that girl a sandwich' be. But it's not any healthier being grossly overweight. Why then is that reasoning immediately disregarded as being shallow or thinly veiled hatred? Is it because overweight people are generally seen as underdogs and people to come to the defense of, whereas skinny fashion models can afford to be taken down a notch or two?

I'm not so much defending the article (the author is clearly an idiot and just looking to stir the pot), but rather addressing the responses. It wouldn't be difficult to dig up some posts on interference that, while much more articulate, would be basically saying the same thing Kelly is, though they would be pointed at rail thin models instead of overweight actors. And you'd be hard pressed to find someone disagreeing with them. It seems, in that instance, the 'healthy body image' stance is perfectly acceptable. So too would comments like 'she looks like a skeleton' or, as Cori mentioned, the ever present 'someone get that girl a sandwich' be. But it's not any healthier being grossly overweight. Why then is that reasoning immediately disregarded as being shallow or thinly veiled hatred? Is it because overweight people are generally seen as underdogs and people to come to the defense of, whereas skinny fashion models can afford to be taken down a notch or two?

I think it's because so many girls aspire to be fashion models, so people are worried that they will become dangerously thin trying to achieve that, but girls probably aren't going to aspire to look like the female lead on Mike & Molly because we live in a society that sends them the message that being fat is gross and unattractive.

Well, both types of bashing are shallow and unacceptable and hugely :)sexywink:) prevalent in media and entertainment and then of course in social networking. Soooo many women of all ages and sizes are consumed with body hate and everything about it is destructive.

I think perhaps this blog post struck a particularly prickly nerve due its source, namely a women's magazine that purports to support real women and their "needs, struggles and stories of life".

Although if you want to compare differences in the general responses you could presume telling a model to eat a sandwich might translate to objecting to an impossible and unhealthy beauty ideal (in addition to just being a catty smackdown for some other unrelated offense) and telling a fattie that the repulsive sight of them might translate to insinuating that they aren't worthy of life let alone public appearance, dignity, love and omg a starring role on television (in addition to legitimate health and healthy image concerns).

I'd never heard of the TV show before this controversy.

Great point Ali. What about those of us who are in the middle? I'm not tall, super model thin nor am I overweight.

Maybe us gals who are athletic and of an average built should be shown on the mag covers. We seem to be forgotten. By the fashion industry.

Yes. This plus size model is size 10.

whitney-thompson-first-plus-size-americas-next-top-model.jpg

She is gorgeous

I don't ever recall anyone here making any sort of post akin to saying that two thin or anorexic fashion models would gross them out if we saw them kissing-or doing anything for that matter. It is just what AliEnvy said..it's basically saying that they just don't deserve to have love or sex or anything of the sort-because, well, they're fat and they just repulse us. It's cruel and dehumanizing. That is completely different than criticism of designers using only rail thin models and/or that thinness being held up as some sort of ideal body type for women or even saying they look skeletal. Or of models starving themselves in order to model-because that certainly does happen. Not every model is naturally that thin. I don't have any desire to "take down" thin fashion models, because I don't want to be that thin nor did I ever want to be a model. I'm almost 5'10 and I'm a size 12 (plus size in the world of fashion and modeling and in the minds of some but I don't care) and all things considered I think I look pretty good. Not as good as I would like to look when I'm being overly critical of myself and or beating myself up of course. I'm not jealous, that's really not my thing. I starved myself when I was 19, and on and off other times, to try to fit some skinny ideal-been there, done that. I guess I just better not make out with any guys who aren't real thin, lest anyone be repulsed. Luckily for me I'm getting closer and closer to being in a place where I just want to be happy with myself and anyone else can just f off. But things still hurt so I can't even imagine being overweight and reading a blog post like that and what that would feel like if you're not in that place. Or even if you are.

If we are against bullying of gay kids and of kids who are deemed to be "different" in any way we certainly should be against bullying of adults because they are overweight according to our standards. No matter how unhealthy any of us might deem that to be. That blog post did come across to me the way a bully would. Putting overweight people on tv is not "glorifying" obesity or being overweight-it is merely reflecting the fact that they do exist and OMG they make out and have sex and walk across rooms and do anything!. Just like gay people on tv or African Americans on tv. Some people somewhere are probably "grossed out" by them making out too I guess-or maybe just being on tv or anywhere?

Readers outraged by Marie Claire's refusal to issue a proper apology for Maura Kelly's fat-shame screed are taking it to the streets. And making them watch all kinds of people kissing, whether they find it "aesthetically displeasing" or not.

The Big Fat Kiss-In joins the 28,000 letters and emails that have already flooded Marie Claire's website and offices, demanding the magazine admit it wasn't being "provocative" or starting a "conversation" — but just made a mistake it regrets. Writes Stacy Bias, whose brainchild it was,

Bring signs, your friends, lovers and family. Chaste kisses, cheek kisses, french kisses, any kisses! Come and show Marie Claire that it's not OK to shame anyone out of their sexuality.

Here's how the event's Facebook page describes the happening:

You are invited to The Big Fat Kiss-In!

PLATONIC KISSES! ROMANTIC KISSES! FAMILIAL KISSES! PECKS ON THE CHEEK! AIR KISSES! FRENCH KISSES! ALL KISSES!

Marie Claire chose to publish an essay in which the author shares her utter disgust for fat people - but moreover - physical displays of affection between said fat people.

That being said, I WANT YOU to join me TOMORROW, FRIDAY OCTOBER 29, 2010 at 6:00pm outside of Marie Claire at the Hearst Building to make the statement that LOVE HAS NO WEIGHT LIMIT!

ALL SHAPES AND SIZES! EVERYONE IS INVITED!

Spurred ahead by Bias and fellow organizers Aris K. Manhattan, Substantia Jones, Sandy Schaffer and Marilyn Wann, protesters will gather at 6pm in front of Hearst Tower – 300 W. 57th St. near 8th Ave, in Manhattan, and mack for the cause.

Read more: Protest At Marie Claire's Offices Tomorrow

She is gorgeous

I don't ever recall anyone here making any sort of post akin to saying that two thin or anorexic fashion models would gross them out if we saw them kissing-or doing anything for that matter. It is just what AliEnvy said..it's basically saying that they just don't deserve to have love or sex or anything of the sort-because, well, they're fat and they just repulse us. It's cruel and dehumanizing. That is completely different than criticism of designers using only rail thin models and/or that thinness being held up as some sort of ideal body type for women or even saying they look skeletal.

My post was in reference to the responses, not the article . Mostly the ones calling the health concern point bullshit. I'm not taking a stance either way, it was just an observation. But a couple posts have made valid points since me asking

Marie Claire's website just published an autobiographical piece this author wrote for an eating disorders anthology:

True Story About Anorexia - Eating Disorders to Cope With Loss - Marie Claire

Their misguided idea of "damage control," I suppose. They should've just fired her for exceedingly poor judgment (assuming that since it was only a blog post, it wasn't actually previewed by editors first). Pretty clearly, she still fundamentally has an anorexic's mindset, as evinced by the post that set all this off.

Yes. This plus size model is size 10.

whitney-thompson-first-plus-size-americas-next-top-model.jpg

She is beautiful. I'm not as tall as her. Wish, I was and other things too. I'm smaller built so maybe in clothing that I could never afford to wear. I would be a size 8. At regular misses departments, I wear a ten.

She is gorgeous

I don't ever recall anyone here making any sort of post akin to saying that two thin or anorexic fashion models would gross them out if we saw them kissing-or doing anything for that matter. It is just what AliEnvy said..it's basically saying that they just don't deserve to have love or sex or anything of the sort-because, well, they're fat and they just repulse us. It's cruel and dehumanizing. That is completely different than criticism of designers using only rail thin models and/or that thinness being held up as some sort of ideal body type for women or even saying they look skeletal. Or of models starving themselves in order to model-because that certainly does happen. Not every model is naturally that thin. I don't have any desire to "take down" thin fashion models, because I don't want to be that thin nor did I ever want to be a model. I'm almost 5'10 and I'm a size 12 (plus size in the world of fashion and modeling and in the minds of some but I don't care) and all things considered I think I look pretty good. Not as good as I would like to look when I'm being overly critical of myself and or beating myself up of course. I'm not jealous, that's really not my thing. I starved myself when I was 19, and on and off other times, to try to fit some skinny ideal-been there, done that. I guess I just better not make out with any guys who aren't real thin, lest anyone be repulsed. Luckily for me I'm getting closer and closer to being in a place where I just want to be happy with myself and anyone else can just f off. But things still hurt so I can't even imagine being overweight and reading a blog post like that and what that would feel like if you're not in that place. Or even if you are.

If we are against bullying of gay kids and of kids who are deemed to be "different" in any way we certainly should be against bullying of adults because they are overweight according to our standards. No matter how unhealthy any of us might deem that to be. That blog post did come across to me the way a bully would. Putting overweight people on tv is not "glorifying" obesity or being overweight-it is merely reflecting the fact that they do exist and OMG they make out and have sex and walk across rooms and do anything!. Just like gay people on tv or African Americans on tv. Some people somewhere are probably "grossed out" by them making out too I guess-or maybe just being on tv or anywhere?

Readers outraged by Marie Claire's refusal to issue a proper apology for Maura Kelly's fat-shame screed are taking it to the streets. And making them watch all kinds of people kissing, whether they find it "aesthetically displeasing" or not.

The Big Fat Kiss-In joins the 28,000 letters and emails that have already flooded Marie Claire's website and offices, demanding the magazine admit it wasn't being "provocative" or starting a "conversation" — but just made a mistake it regrets. Writes Stacy Bias, whose brainchild it was,

Bring signs, your friends, lovers and family. Chaste kisses, cheek kisses, french kisses, any kisses! Come and show Marie Claire that it's not OK to shame anyone out of their sexuality.

Here's how the event's Facebook page describes the happening:

You are invited to The Big Fat Kiss-In!

PLATONIC KISSES! ROMANTIC KISSES! FAMILIAL KISSES! PECKS ON THE CHEEK! AIR KISSES! FRENCH KISSES! ALL KISSES!

Marie Claire chose to publish an essay in which the author shares her utter disgust for fat people - but moreover - physical displays of affection between said fat people.

That being said, I WANT YOU to join me TOMORROW, FRIDAY OCTOBER 29, 2010 at 6:00pm outside of Marie Claire at the Hearst Building to make the statement that LOVE HAS NO WEIGHT LIMIT!

ALL SHAPES AND SIZES! EVERYONE IS INVITED!

Spurred ahead by Bias and fellow organizers Aris K. Manhattan, Substantia Jones, Sandy Schaffer and Marilyn Wann, protesters will gather at 6pm in front of Hearst Tower – 300 W. 57th St. near 8th Ave, in Manhattan, and mack for the cause.

Read more: Protest At Marie Claire's Offices Tomorrow

Beautifully said sweetie! :hug: 5'10 and a size twelve. Now, I would call that athletic, slender.

And you know what. If someone wears a plus size. Big friggin deal! My Irish granny had an old saying. "Pretty is as pretty does." She was right. Real beauty always comes from within.

P.S. I'm not grossed out by the way anyone looks. Or any adult couple who is in love. I think we all have something that is very unique and beautiful about us. We can only act ugly. If we choose to. Look at a baby, child. Do any of us see ugliness? Of course not. It's no different when we are adults. Or at least, it shouldn't be.

I wish. I lived in Manhattan. I would be there to support it. Beautiful comes in all sizes and colours.

A woman gets on a bus with her baby. The driver says: "Ugh, that's the ugliest baby I've ever seen."

The woman walks to the rear of the bus and sits down, fuming. She says to a man next to her: "The driver just insulted me."
The man says: "You go up there and tell him off. Go on, I'll hold your monkey for you."
:hug:

Back
Top Bottom