Senator Jim Bunning: Hero? Or Asshole? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Bunning?
Hero 6 15.38%
Asshole 33 84.62%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,735
Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
This will be phased out with the rest of the stimulus provisions at the end of 2010. The extend indefinitely part was what Congress was worried about when they wrote the bill, that is why they made Dec 2010 clear.
Awesomesauce. Thanks for that, I wasn't aware.
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #32
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 2,451
Local Time: 02:50 PM
It's o.k. to bail out the banks but not hard working people. Asshole. They should hang guys like this from meathooks...and I'm afraid they soon will because of idiots like this.
__________________

__________________
Harry Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #33
Refugee
 
Muldfeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,882
Local Time: 03:50 PM
Assh*le, Uber.

What I can't stand is how CNN is trying to act like it's a matter of opinion, for the sake of ratings, and they have that bastard from Redstate.com on all the time; I hate that guy; he's such a typical self-satisfied Republican, spreading myths about the self-made man. I don't like many Democrats, but I HATE Republicans.

Op-Ed Columnist - Senator Bunning�s Universe - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
I don't know what to think about this situation.

But is his point -- "“If we can’t find $10 billion to pay for it, we’re not going to pay for anything,” Mr. Bunning said on the floor on Monday." -- automatically invalid just because he's a Republican?
No, it's because right wing politicians always find an excuse to screw over the poor. They never demand finding money for projects that benefit tax cuts or the war or so many other things. It's phony for him to act like it's a matter of principle because it's about priorities for him.

By the way, too many Democrats already think like this. I remember Chuck Robb ran for election in the mid-'90s crying out, "I'll let people die in the streets before I raise your taxes!" or something to that effect.

Obama hasn't exactly fought for the poor with his lame economic reforms, either.
__________________
Muldfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,894
Local Time: 03:50 PM
The poor aren't represented by lobbyists, thus the poor are consistently shat on by the federal government.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:21 AM   #35
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,217
Local Time: 03:50 PM
Op-Ed Columnist - Senator Bunning�s Universe - NYTimes.com

Good summary of how delusional the Republicans have become, and of the extent that Obama has gone to try and reach out to them.

It should be clear now from the Bunning debacle, as well as the fact that Scott Brown is now signing autographs with the number 41, that the Republicans, just like with Clinton, have no intention of working with any President with a "D" after his name.

What the GOP has done in the last 13 months is just the height of immaturity. Cry like a baby when you don't get your way, ignore the facts, and put yourself and your ambitions before anyone or anything else.

Seriously, when faced with an economic catastrophe that any sense of basic economic understanding would tell you the government needed to inject money into the economy, they screamed and cried out of control spending and deficits, when they know damn well Obama did not do this because of some ideology.

To make matters worse, people who are supposedly intelligent(congress people) decided to go out and whip the ignorant masses into an idiot frenzy about some non existent socialism. Make no mistakes, today's Republican party is making being stupid a virtue.

Sad part is they know better. They all know the stimulus and the bailouts were necessary to keep the economy from completely collapsing. If they do not understand economics(most of them don't but they at least have a basic enough understanding to know we needed a stimulus), then all they had to do was open any newspaper in February 2009 and there it was from objective economists across the spectrum: we need a big stimulus, and we need it now.

The adult thing to do, which its a tall order to ask today's Republicans to be adults, would have been to explain the bailouts the same way Democrats have. They voted for it in just as great of numbers, but now they act like it was all Obama(when it was passed under Bush) and rail against it. Stimulus, same thing. They would have done a stimulus if they were in power, rest assured of that. Instead of working with Democrats on bringing the economy from the edge of a cliff, they decided to oppose the stimulus in lock step and then go around the country and tell people it was socialism and big government. What they should have been doing was saying "this is not a partisan thing, either we act, or we see unemployment at 14/15%, etc. There will be time for disagreements later, but this is not one of them."

It is a FACT that the economic recovery is going along much faster because of the stimulus, and it is a FACT that if McCain or John Kyl or Mitch McConnell or Eric Cantor were in charge, unemployment would be no lower.

The Republicans are just exploiting the general public's lack of understanding of economics to pin the unemployment situation on the Democrats instead of acknowledging that there is a little $13 trillion thing called the private economy that is subject to its own natural laws and forces and that, though we can prod it, will take a while to work all the kinks out no matter what we do.

No recession spurred by a financial collapse had ever turned around to recovery as quick as this one, and unemployment ALWAYS lags behind actual growth returning. The Republicans can acknowledge this and still disagree on any number of issues- whether or how to reform health care, the environment, general tax policy, etc, etc.

Instead they are playing to the dumbed down masses and acting like little kids.
__________________
U2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:
whip the ignorant masses into an idiot frenzy
That will satisfy as an example of "the elite media."
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:35 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,894
Local Time: 03:50 PM
CNN and MSNBC have done a godawful job describing how wrong Republicans have been (logically, economically, morally, etc.) so I don't see what you mean by that.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #38
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
What the GOP has done in the last 13 months is just the height of immaturity. Cry like a baby when you don't get your way, ignore the facts, and put yourself and your ambitions before anyone or anything else.
pretty much, yeah. i can't say i necessarily agree with everything obama's done, but i do know no matter what paths had been taken, we wouldn't be any better off as a country than we are now. not to mention, a recession simply can't be turned around overnight. not even in a year, not how massive this one was. in the 1940s we were lucky (i suppose you could put it that way) that we then entered world war two which quickly turned things around for us. if that hadn't happened, things would be as slow-moving as they are now. except at least then fdr didn't have practically all of congress conspiring against whatever he did to make sure his bills wouldn't pass. i know he had his detractors, trust me, but he was still able to get shit done.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
in the 1940s we were lucky (i suppose you could put it that way) that we then entered world war two which quickly turned things around for us. if that hadn't happened, things would be as slow-moving as they are now. except at least then fdr didn't have practically all of congress conspiring against whatever he did to make sure his bills wouldn't pass. i know he had his detractors, trust me, but he was still able to get shit done.
Which begs the question... why was it WWII that got us out of the Great Depression and not, NOT, as you point out, all of FDR's "shit" -- Keynesian government spending, higher taxes on the rich, price controls, infrastructure jobs (WPA) and social welfare programs.

And why would we travel that road again?
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,894
Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Which begs the question... why was it WWII that got us out of the Great Depression and NOT, as you say, all of FDR's "shit" -- Keynesian government spending, higher taxes on the rich, price controls, infrastructure jobs (WPA) and social welfare programs.

And why would we travel that road again?
This is purely revisionist history. You can't just sweep everything FDR accomplished under the rug by saying it was all WWII, because that's just not true.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,699
Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Which begs the question... why was it WWII that got us out of the Great Depression and not, NOT, as you point out, all of FDR's "shit" -- Keynesian government spending, higher taxes on the rich, price controls, infrastructure jobs (WPA) and social welfare programs.

And why would we travel that road again?
Are you serious?
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
This is purely revisionist history. You can't just sweep everything FDR accomplished under the rug by saying it was all WWII, because that's just not true.
Take that up with KhanadaRhodes.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:32 AM   #43
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,217
Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Which begs the question... why was it WWII that got us out of the Great Depression and NOT, as you say, all of FDR's "shit" -- Keynesian government spending, higher taxes on the rich, price controls, infrastructure jobs (WPA) and social welfare programs.

And why would we travel that road again?
The Great Depression was much deeper than this recession. While a good 2/3 of the New Deal was either rejected or ineffective, it did a great amount of good. The housing act actually reversed the massive foreclosures and made the government money, for example. By 1937, things were alot better than they were in 1932, but still not completely recovered. The reason why we had the 2nd recession from 1938-40 was because FDR tried to balance the budget when the recovery was not fully in gear. He pulled back the stimulus, and it took a bigger stimulus, WW II to get us moving again.

Wage and Price controls were negotiated between business and the government through the NRA as a means of halting deflation. It was voluntary, and supported as necessary by industry at the time. You know who did heavy handed wage and price controls to get re elected? That would be Richard Nixon.

All of the "shit" that you talk about especially the infrastructure piece, put people to work and helped the economy. The turnpike system, the national highway system that was the forerunner to the interstate(the maps for the interstate system of 1956 were drawn up in this time period), many roads and bridges still in service today were built under the WPA. That is to say nothing about the institutions created that have played a key role in protecting consumers and investors to this day- like the SEC. The Wall Street reforms of FDR were the last real effort at updating regulation and making it work for business, investors and consumers. Wall Street supported these reforms. Social Security remains to this day the most effective government program ever created, and it is overwhelmingly popular among voters.

Like I said in the 1st paragraph, neither FDR nor the new deal was perfect. He unsuccessfully tried to pack the courts to get the more controversial parts of it through, and alot of it was window dressing. But the fact remains:

1.)It got the economy into recovery initially.
2.)We only hit another downturn when FDR did what you want Obama to do(pull back the Keynesian stimulus).
3.)Many programs were effective at employing people at the time and produced real results before they were terminated in better times. Many institutions created during the New Deal are alive, well and broadly supported today(SSecurity, minimum wage, SEC)

FDR had higher taxes on the rich for sure, but he kept a 25% capital gains tax rate, and alot of the jacking up did not come until he responsibly decided we were going to actually pay for a war. Plus, the marginal rates being that high were part of a completely different tax code that was scrapped in 1986. There were a shitload of brackets and many more loopholes that knocked down effective rates to about half the marginal, even for the very rich.

Truman and Eisenhower had the good sense to keep the taxes high in prosperity so we could pay off the war debt and not dig a big hole. No President did massive deficit spending as a matter of policy until Reagan.

Obama is not proposing anywhere near a return to FDR era tax rates, nor is the stimulus anywhere near as far reaching as the new deal. I don't know where you get the price controls and social welfare programs from.

Where has Obama proposed price controls or any new social welfare program?

And just because I am curious, did John Maynard Keynes shoot your dog or something? You accuse everyone of being Keynesian like it is being a member of the Charles Manson cult. You do realize that the principle of government counter-cyclical stimulus long predates Keynes, right? You also realize that Summers, Geithner, etc may take some aspects of Keynesianism, but that they are not what any economist would label Keynesian thinkers. The hard core devotees of Keynes have been out of any position of influence for many years now.
__________________
U2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:42 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
Where has Obama proposed price controls or any new social welfare program?
You mean other than appointing a "pay czar" to control CEO pay and Wall St. bonuses and that sweeping new entitlement called "Universal Health Care"?

Answer the rest tomorrow.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #45
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,217
Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
This is purely revisionist history. You can't just sweep everything FDR accomplished under the rug by saying it was all WWII, because that's just not true.
Indy and Khandarhodes were not making the same argument. Khandarhodes acknowledged that FDR passed some good legislation, but that it ultimately took WW II to get us back to where we were before the Depression. That is very, very true. I think FDR was a great President, a courageous American and an excellent commander in chief. That does not mean that I can't objectively say that some of the New Deal was ineffective, impractical, or too autocratic to pass constitutional muster. Some of it was egregious and legit should have been struck down, but there was alot of stuff that was struck down by a Republican and yes, activist Supreme Court(the first attempt at minimum wage being the prime example) on political grounds only. Once FDR got some of his own appointments(outside of the court packing) some of this legislation went through. The egregious stuff, well, even FDR's guys Black and Douglas, et al would not go for it.

If I understand her right, she was saying that FDR clearly helped, but the New Deal was not what brought us back to sustained growth by 1941, it was WW II.

Indy used this as a blanket condemnation of the New Deal and then compared it to the very different circumstances we find ourselves in now to try and put a shot in on Obama.

Khandarhodes just acknowledged that the economy is an outside force that can only be affected so much by politicians of either party, and I think she may agree with me that acknowledging FDR did well and got some good things done does not mean we have to blindly worship or romanticize him or portray him as the holder of the magic economic wand.
__________________

__________________
U2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com