Senator Caroline Kennedy ????????????? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:28 AM
Senator Caroline Kennedy ?????????????

Should she get appointed as the Senator for New York?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

No. I can't imagine the NY Governor would give Caroline Smith with the same resume the time of day.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

This princesses' resume is light, light, light

The only way I would like to see her in the Senate
is by legitimately winning it
in a knife fight of an election.

But, I do suppose she deserves a payoff for leading that early endorsement of Obama with the whole Kennedy clan,
that was awe inspiring, a real profile in courage
the turning point in the primaries.

yes we can
Old 12-16-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

I'd like to see a campaign for the seat. Why should it simply be "given" away to someone? Senators should represent the people of their state, in a democracy where majority rules. I say let the public vote for their choice of candidate and may the best candidate win, or in politics, may the more popular candidate win.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carek1230 View Post
I'd like to see a campaign for the seat. Why should it simply be "given" away to someone?
It's the way it's always been done. IMO the only reason we're making a big deal out of it this time is because it involves Hillary Clinton.

And if it wasn't for the corruption fiasco, Obama's replacement wouldn't have even made headlines.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaze View Post
It's the way it's always been done. IMO the only reason we're making a big deal out of it this time is because it involves Hillary Clinton.

And if it wasn't for the corruption fiasco, Obama's replacement wouldn't have even made headlines.
I think this and also the fact that Republicans are desperate for any seat they can get right now. What some people don't get is that another campaign will cost taxpayers...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:28 AM
She is beautiful, however the seat shouldn't be awarded her.

<>
Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:28 AM
She will get it or Cuomo will.

Good to know nepotism is alive and well!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
She is beautiful, however the seat shouldn't be awarded her.

<>
Glad to see you back alive and well!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:28 AM
surgery thurs.

<>
Old 12-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
Refugee

Ah, well you're a robust guy. You'll be fine
Old 12-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
The only way I would like to see her in the Senate
is by legitimately winning it
in a knife fight of an election.

But, I do suppose she deserves a payoff for leading that early endorsement of Obama with the whole Kennedy clan,
that was awe inspiring, a real profile in courage
the turning point in the primaries.

yes we can

why don't they just give it to Chelsea?

i mean, her father was a great president.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

They always talked about JFK Jr being in politics one day, maybe even President. Even Obama was far more qualified than JFK Jr-he would have been the hottest President of all time, that's for sure..God rest his soul.

I think Caroline might be more qualified than he ever would have been at that time, only having George Magazine and very limited law experience. She seems like one of the more humble and classy and intelligent Kennedys. Is she qualified for the US Senate, I don't think so-not as qualified as others for sure, not by a long shot. It is funny that Cuomo wants it too considering the past relationship there.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Candidate 1:

Born Nov. 27, 1957
Attended Radcliffe College (1979), Columbia Law School (1988)

1989: Establishes the Profile in Courage Awards
1991: Writes "In Our Defense: The Bill of Rights in Action"
1994: Becomes honorary chair of the American Ballet Theatre
1995: Writes "The Right to Privacy"
2000: Speaks at the 2000 Democratic National Convention.
2002-2004: Chief executive for the Office of Strategic Partnerships for the New York City Department of Education, raising more than $65 million in private support for New York City public schools
2008: Member of Barack Obama's vice-presidential search team

Current activities:
-President of the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation
-Member of the board at the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and the Commission on Presidential Debates
-Vice-chair of the Fund for Public Schools in New York City

Candidate 2:

Born Dec. 6, 1957
Attended Fordham University (1979); Albany Law School (1982)

1982: Campaign manager for Mario Cuomo in gubernatorial race in New York
1983: Aide to Governor Cuomo
1984-1985: Assistant district attorney in Manhattan
1985-1988: Partner at Blutrich, Falcone and Miller
1986: Founds the Housing Enterprise for the Less Privileged (H.E.L.P.), the largest private provider of transitional housing for the homeless
1991: Becomes head of the New York City Commission on the Homeless
1993: Assistant Secretary of Housing and Urban Development for President Clinton
1997-2001: Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
2001: Counsel at law firm Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson
2002: Runs for governor unsuccessfully
2006: Elected Attorney General of New York 58% to 39%

Current activities:
-Attorney General of New York
Old 12-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Aren't the Cuomos a version of the Kennedys? I think that name has helped them too along the way.

I see that Chris Cuomo om GMA and I always think he must have gotten that job due to his family name

By Roland Martin
CNN Contributor

(CNN) -- When Hillary Clinton announced in November 1999 that she was running for the U.S. Senate to replace the legendary Sen. Patrick Moynihan, she had never cast a single vote as an elected officeholder. She had never put forth an agenda the voters could use to decide whether she was the best candidate.

Her resume?

First lady. Lawyer. Advocate for health care and children's issues.

That's it.

But when she made it clear that she was going to seek the job, the New York Democratic congressional delegation stepped aside, bowing to the wishes of the first lady, who had barely lived in New York state long enough to figure out where to find a great slice of pizza. Even Rep. Nita Lowey, who had spent 10 years in the House of Representatives and was considered the front-runner for the Senate seat, bowed out to accommodate the wishes of Clinton.

So here we are nine years later, and there is a huge fuss over Caroline Kennedy's decision to let New York Gov. David Paterson know that she desires the job.

It's rather pathetic to listen to the naysayers deride Kennedy's accomplishments and dismiss them as if she was a spoiled rich kid of a family who has bounced from Paris to Monaco to Dubai, living the high life, and all of a sudden deciding that she wants to ride the Kennedy name into elected office.

New York Rep. Gary Ackerman did his best to dismiss Kennedy's qualifications by saying that "she has name recognition -- but so does J-Lo."

Even Clinton's rabid supporters are trying to scuttle Kennedy's bid, still angry because she endorsed then-Sen. Barack Obama over their candidate for president. Frankly, it's time you got the hell over it.

By the way, for all the Kennedy haters who are stuck on stupid when it comes to qualifications, go and read the U.S. Constitution. There are just three requirements as outlined by law for the seat:

"No person shall be a senator who shall not have attained to the age of 30 years, and been nine years a citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an inhabitant of that state for which he shall be chosen."

That's it; end of conversation when it comes to the issue of qualifications. Anything beyond what the Constitution says is entirely subjective.

As a resident of the state of Texas who also resides in Illinois, I really don't give a hoot who represents New York in the U.S. Senate. But I am willing to call out sheer ignorance when it is operating in full glory.

I've met Caroline Kennedy just one time in my life, and that was in the CNN Grill at the Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado. I said hello. She said hello. End of story. So I have no dog in this hunt.

But I find it intriguing to know that this candidate is someone who has spent years focusing on philanthropic issues that deal with education, health care, expanding America's interests in the arts, writing books dealing with the right to privacy and the Bill of Rights, showing a passion for civil rights and serving as a national board member of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

Instead of ripping her to shreds, maybe the haters should step back and recognize that here is a woman who understands public service. A notoriously private woman who is painfully shy in public, she clearly recognizes that we are in desperate need of people who care about the public good, and not necessarily amassing power on their way up the political ladder.

There are countless individuals in the U.S. House and Senate who sought the position because they actually wanted to change something. There are doctors, teachers, small-business owners -- all individuals who saw this nation going down the wrong path, and they desired to step up, rather than sit back and complain.

Paterson may choose a typical politician to fill the remaining two years of Clinton's term. But at least he can count on Kennedy's heart being in the right place -- having love and compassion for the people, which is the true measure of a public servant.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Roland Martin.