Sarah Palin, continued.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I'm going to be a feminist and fight for things that take away rights from women! That's the new meaning of the word, right?

CBS News

Updated 11:10 a.m. Eastern

Sarah Palin said this morning that she understands why a woman "would be tempted" to have an abortion because of her experience with her son Trig.

Speaking at the Susan B. Anthony List Celebration of Life breakfast, Palin said that when she learned during her pregnancy that Trig would be born with Down syndrome, she "had no idea how I was going to handle the situation of raising a special needs child."

She said she was struck by "not knowing if my heart was ready, not knowing if I was patient and nurturing enough."

While she had previously believed that "God will never give me something I cannot handle," she said, she was left thinking, "I don't think I can handle this. This wasn't part of my life's plan."

As a busy mother who already had four kids and who was serving as Alaska governor, she said, she wondered how she would handle raising the child. She thought perhaps her sister, who has a child with autism, would have been better equipped to raise him.

Palin said the experience helped her understand how a woman would consider having an abortion, "because I've been there."

Yet once Trig was born, Palin said, she understood that "God does know what he's doing."

"And what seemed like it would be such a challenge has turned into our greatest blessing," Palin said, telling her audience he was "the best thing to ever happen" to her and her family.

Palin stressed she had always been strongly "pro-life," and had never actively considered abortion.

But she said that her experience as well as the experience of her daughter Bristol, who she said suffered "public humiliation" when she became pregnant at 17 years old, "changed my perspective on that situation."

"Our experience gave me empathy for those finding themselves in less than ideal circumstances," she said.

In the end, she said, she has "strengthened my support for choosing life," adding that it "may not be easiest, but it's the right path."

Palin's audience was the Susan B. Anthony List, which is focused on helping candidates who oppose abortion rights win elections. Referencing the compromise that helped get the health care reform bill passed, she told the group that those who feel the same way won't forget that ostensibly anti-abortion rights Democrats "caved at the last minute in exchange for a non-binding resolution from the most pro-abortion president who ever occupied the White House."

Palin also compared mothers upset about the direction of the country to "mama Grizzlies" who "rear up when someone comes for their cubs."

She said there were many such women in the room, adding that you "don't want to mess with moms who are rising up."

"Moms kinda just know when something's wrong," she said. "It's that mothers' intuition thing I think."

Palin defended her endorsement of California Senate candidate Carly Fiorina, a decision some on the right have criticized. She said Fiorina is not a "Republican in name only," as some critics have claimed.

"If she is unabashedly pro-life and all those other conservative things that she stands for, than she is the real deal," Palin said, arguing that Fiorina had taken strong conservative stands despite running in "deep blue California."

How about that Joe McGinness moving in next door to her, he's writing a book about her

That does seem stalkerish-you don't have to live next door to someone when you're doing that

Author Joe McGinness said there's nothing creepy about him renting a home next to Sarah Palin, who happens to be the subject of a book he is currently writing.

McGinness, who has written books about Ted Kennedy, several true crime cases and even one about exploring Alaska, said he had to move to Wasilla, Alaska, in order to interview people who have known the former vice presidential candidate. And the deal he got on a rental next to the Palin family, $1,500 a month for a six-bedroom home, was too good to pass up, McGinness said on NBC's "Today" show.

"The fact is, I would be living in this house if the Palins lived on the moon," McGinness told Matt Lauer. "I need to be in Wasilla to do my work."

Palin posted on Facebook last week that she wondered what McGinniss would gather "while overlooking Piper's bedroom, my little garden, and the family's swimming hole?"

McGinniss called Palin's comments "ugly innuendo" and "revolting."

The Palins raised the fence between the two houses to 14 feet.

Huffington Post

In her latest note on Facebook, Sarah Palin is blaming "extreme 'environmentalists'" for causing the gulf oil disaster that has been unfolding for over a month. Her logic is that because environmentalists push for tougher drilling regulations onshore in places like the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (also known as ANWR) it forces oil companies to explore deeper offshore drilling which has more risks.

Palin writes:

With [environmentalists'] nonsensical efforts to lock up safer drilling areas, all you're doing is outsourcing energy development, which makes us more controlled by foreign countries, less safe, and less prosperous on a dirtier planet. Your hypocrisy is showing. You're not preventing environmental hazards; you're outsourcing them and making drilling more dangerous.

Extreme deep water drilling is not the preferred choice to meet our country's energy needs, but your protests and lawsuits and lies about onshore and shallow water drilling have locked up safer areas. It's catching up with you. The tragic, unprecedented deep water Gulf oil spill proves it.

You can read her full note on Facebook here.

Sarah Palin: Extreme Enviros: Drill, Baby, Drill in ANWR – Now Do You Get It? | Facebook

This is one of several comments about the oil spill Palin has made that has caused a stir, including a tweet in which she said we said we shouldn't trust BP because it is a foreign oil company. Palin's husband Todd worked for BP for 18 years.

Interesting theory, BVS. I try and avoid listening to Rush unless I absolutely have to via clip or something, but it would not surprise me in the least if you were right. It's silly of me to think Sarah would have an independent thought.

This is a message to extreme “environmentalists” who hypocritically protest domestic energy production offshore and onshore.

Environmentalists don't want drilling here OR abroad onshore or offshore. You ever hear of things like solar and wind energy? So tell me again how stopping drilling altogether is hypocritical (this coming from the woman who freely admits to shooting animals from the safety of a helicopter. Yeah, Greenpeace and you are so tight, right, Sarah?)? And you ran in a party that gets tons of money from oil companies that drill overseas and domestically.

Dear sweet god, she really is an idiot...

Angela

I bet Obama has already called her

(AP)JUNEAU, Alaska — Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said President Barack Obama's acknowledgment that he hasn't directly spoken to BP's chief executive shows it "bodes well to have some sort of executive experience before occupying the Oval Office."

Then, in a Facebook posting Tuesday, she outlined her experience. And she urged Obama to contact experts, including those in Alaska, who have held oil companies accountable. In parts of this state, the effects of the Exxon Valdez disaster are still being felt 21 years after that massive oil spill.

"Give them a call," she wrote. "Or, what the heck, give me a call."

Palin's latest missive is extensive, chiding not only Obama but also the media for not calling him out in his handling of the massive oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico. Obama, in an interview with NBC's "Today" show, broadcast Tuesday, said he hadn't spoken directly to BP CEO Tony Hayward because his experience tells him someone like that would say "all the right things" and that he's more interested in action than in words.

However, Obama said "we are communicating to him every single day exactly what we expect of him, and what we expect of that administration."

An oil rig leased by BP PLC exploded in the Gulf of Mexico on April 20, killing 11 workers and unleashing a spill that remains uncontained.

"The current administration may be unaware that it's the President's duty, meeting on a CEO-to-CEO level with Hayward, to verify what BP reports," wrote Palin, the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee and a potential presidential challenger in 2012.

She then extolled her own experience in Alaska, and what she called her administration's efforts to ensure "Big Oil" operated ethically and responsibly. Among those: creation of a Petroleum Systems Integrity Office "when we saw proof of improper maintenance of oil infrastructure in our state. We had to verify. And that's why we instituted new oversight and held BP and other oil companies financially accountable for poor maintenance practices.

"We knew we could partner with them to develop resources without pussyfooting around with them. As a CEO, it was my job to look out for the interests of Alaskans with the same intensity and action as the oil company CEOs looked out for the interests of their shareholders," she wrote.

Palin resigned last summer in the midst of her first term as governor.

Pamela Miller, arctic program director for the Northern Alaska Environmental Center, said she has yet to see "any tangible results in the oil fields" as a result of the office's work. She called Palin's claims on it "hollow."

"And she walked. So how is she holding that entity accountable?" Miller said. "What kind of executive experience is that?"

I wish she would just shut the fuck up. She's a little ball of stupid. Actually, you know what, let her talk. I wish people would just stop giving a shit about she had to say...ugh. Two more years of hearing this dope trying to get elected...:(

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said President Barack Obama's acknowledgment that he hasn't directly spoken to BP's chief executive shows it "bodes well to have some sort of executive experience before occupying the Oval Office."

Palin resigned last summer in the midst of her first term as governor.

Seriously. Wow. That takes some major cajones. And that's to say nothing of how she claims she has the answers for the oil spill (so, uh, why haven't you shared them within the last 51 days, then? Could've used them on, oh, say, day 2, perhaps?) and she holds oil companies accountable...all the while aligning herself with a party that doesn't exactly have a track record of, um, holding oil companies accountable.

I don't know if I've made this clear at all or not thus far, but I really, really, REALLY don't like her. I'd say she is a big ball of stupid. A massive ball of stupid. Please, Sarah, I beg of you, just go back to Alaska, raise your family in peace, and quit the political game. Please.

Angela

capt.fa9005089e964b27991f696a5b1d931c-f34e121a7ac049b3a152a640aa1a33c5-0.jpg

Sarah, the Queen maker!

I don't understand why the Right is so fascinated by Sarah -- I certainly don't think she's particularly qualified to hold any form of public office, though she's probably well suited to a commentator role (provided she has a good script).

At the same time, I think she's in a rather unenviable position -- poorly-vetted, promoted before her time, subjected to a level of scrutiny that she was clearly ill-prepared for, and then after a failed election bid, returned to public service in a capacity that she was no longer able to fulfill. In a bizarre way, she seems to have shared a similar trajectory to Kate Gosselin -- having attained a form of celebrity that makes "regular life" impossible, but now trying to find a way to sustain that life.

I don't say this to defend or pity her, but just to try to understand.

capt.fa9005089e964b27991f696a5b1d931c-f34e121a7ac049b3a152a640aa1a33c5-0.jpg

Sarah, the Queen maker!

i have to say, it is heartening that a formerly Sikh (she converted to christianity, natch, this *is* Dixie) female who's apparently a sex maniac can win elections in a state like South Carolina.

There is a freakshow aspect to her that keeps many people paying attention, including people who can't stand her. They can't help themselves from being curious about what she'll say or do next, even if it has no real consequence or value.

The right loves that she drives the left batty. Irresistible tease. :shrug:

I don't understand why the Right is so fascinated by Sarah -- I certainly don't think she's particularly qualified to hold any form of public office, though she's probably well suited to a commentator role (provided she has a good script).

At the same time, I think she's in a rather unenviable position -- poorly-vetted, promoted before her time, subjected to a level of scrutiny that she was clearly ill-prepared for, and then after a failed election bid, returned to public service in a capacity that she was no longer able to fulfill. In a bizarre way, she seems to have shared a similar trajectory to Kate Gosselin -- having attained a form of celebrity that makes "regular life" impossible, but now trying to find a way to sustain that life.

Interesting observation. I also see a similar trajectory with Kate Gosselin, though it strikes me more that both women have come to be somewhat obsessed with staying in the public eye. They've been dazzled by the concept of being a "reality TV star" if you will. Rod Blagovich strikes me the same way. They just want to stay on TV--that's the most important thing.

Interesting observation. I also see a similar trajectory with Kate Gosselin, though it strikes me more that both women have come to be somewhat obsessed with staying in the public eye. They've been dazzled by the concept of being a "reality TV star" if you will. Rod Blagovich strikes me the same way. They just want to stay on TV--that's the most important thing.

There's a certain narcissism that artists and celebrities -- actually, I suppose anyone with ambitions to public life -- share. It can be for noble aims ("I want to change the world with my art/policies") or it can be for ignoble ("I want attention") -- but the line between the two can easily get muddled. I don't think Kate had the same aspirations as Sarah (I don't think Kate started out chasing fame), but they have both wound up in very similar places, I agree...

I don't think Kate had the same aspirations as Sarah (I don't think Kate started out chasing fame)

Perhaps not. I don't know her obviously so I can't say what she and her husbands motives were when they started the show (even if I DID know them personally, I might not know that). Sometimes I think that Americans in general, as a culture, see being on TV as something appealing. When we were casting for the televison drama I co-wrote and directed while living in Saipan, I found that we had no problem getting tons of Americans (that is white or black Americans from the mainland--virtually everyone on the show was an American citizen,) to audition. However we had an extremely difficult time getting the indigenous actors, especially older ones, to audition. I confess I was quite suprised--I mean, who doesn't want to be on TV, right? Apparently not many of the native islanders. Until then I'd assumed that anyone would jump at the chance to be on TV. Now I realize that assumption is a reflection of my own culture not a human universal.

A bit off topic, but to bring it back to point. Maybe that was Kate and John at the outset. "Cool, it'd be fun to have a TV show about our family", followed by addiction to the fame. As for Palin, again, who knows what her motives were at the outset, but to me it's crystal clear that she loves being a media darling and would like to prolong that as long as possible. When she resigned as governor last year, I didn't find that puzzling at all. To me it was obvious that she had all kinds of exciting media opportunities and governing Alaska was becoming a pesky obstacle to taking advantage of all the opportunities.

Which makes it ironic that she's been so critical of "the media."

It actually doesn't surprise me to hear that story about the indigenous people shying away from TV-they generally tend to shy away from that stuff, as you said, it's a culture thing (in fact, don't some indigenous people tend to have some sort of superstitions surrounding cameras and all that sort of thing? Feel free to clarify that for me if I'm mistaken). Me, personally, if I ever went on TV it'd probably be to go on some show I liked if I were being interviewed for, say, a book I'd written. Outside of that, I'm not in any big rush to be on TV, I don't think I could pull it off very well and don't have the "look" or the acting chops or whatever to do it. One of many reasons I want to take up writing as a career :p.

Which makes it ironic that she's been so critical of "the media."

She and Kate both DEFINITELY have that whole, "'The media is picking on me, the media needs to leave me/my family alone!' they say while all the while they keep granting interviews to said media/accepting TV show deals and parading their kids all over the screen" thing going on. Yes. I think the parallels are very apparent between them. Which is kind of sad, as one's a reality star and the other is...not supposed to be that.

When I say I don't like Sarah, part of that is just me ranting, I really don't mean it personally as some sort of vicious attack. After all, I don't know her. Outside of all this mess she may be a nice person. No, I say that mainly because it is incredibly irritating to see a woman who is in a potential position of power that either pretends to be ignorant or is genuinely ignorant, and I don't like it when people act that way. If she's purposefully dumbing herself down because that's what she thinks is expected of her by her colleagues and the public and the media and whatnot (presuming she's not right in that assumption), that's just sad, and if she's genuinely as uninformed as she is on the issues, then that's even worse. By doing that, I feel she reinforces all those old stereotypes about how women aren't able to fully comprehend all the "big fancy goings-ons" of the world and how their main job is to just sit there and look pretty for the men and so on.

I guess her open ignorance, manufactured or real, also tends to confuse me because one of my biggest, if not the biggest, fears I have is appearing stupid in front of people. I want to present myself as a smart person, I want to be able to know what's going on, and if I don't know something that I clearly should know and would be laughed at for not knowing, I get embarrassed easily. Clearly none of that seems to bother her much, and I don't know why. It's just the whole patronizing attitude she gives off, towards women, towards small-towners and "middle Americans", towards her own party, etc., that bugs me the most and "drives me batty", to quote from this thread. Say what you will about Hilary Clinton, she may be quite polarizing, but at least she does know what's going on in the world around her. She could tell you why there's two Koreas, for instance. And I've never felt the sort of patronization with her that I do with Sarah. Sarah may have knowledge of things outside of politics, which is great. But if she genuinely isn't informed politically, she shouldn't be holding any sort of a job in politics and should leave it to someone who does know what's going on beyond their little corner of the world.

Angela

it is incredibly irritating to see a woman who is in a potential position of power that either pretends to be ignorant or is genuinely ignorant, and I don't like it when people act that way. If she's purposefully dumbing herself down because that's what she thinks is expected of her by her colleagues and the public and the media and whatnot (presuming she's not right in that assumption), that's just sad, and if she's genuinely as uninformed as she is on the issues, then that's even worse.

I think she's charismatic enough, charming in her own folksy way, and certainly easy on the eyes -- all of which are qualifications to be a FoxNews commentator. That doesn't qualify her to be a Vice President or hold an office of national importance. The problem is that she was indeed rejected by the majority of the American public, and completely missed the reasons why. She interpreted "taking the silver medal" as evidence of a national left wing conspiracy, and while the media does play a role in forming public perceptions, there was remarkably little slant against her until she started opening her mouth. She gave people the noose with which to hang her, and was/is oblivious to it.

I feel she reinforces all those old stereotypes about how women aren't able to fully comprehend all the "big fancy goings-ons" of the world and how their main job is to just sit there and look pretty for the men and so on.

Fortunately, I think Hillary and Condi have been far more effective representatives of woman on the global stage.

It actually doesn't surprise me to hear that story about the indigenous people shying away from TV-they generally tend to shy away from that stuff, as you said, it's a culture thing (in fact, don't some indigenous people tend to have some sort of superstitions surrounding cameras and all that sort of thing? Feel free to clarify that for me if I'm mistaken). Me, personally, if I ever went on TV it'd probably be to go on some show I liked if I were being interviewed for, say, a book I'd written. Outside of that, I'm not in any big rush to be on TV, I don't think I could pull it off very well and don't have the "look" or the acting chops or whatever to do it. One of many reasons I want to take up writing as a career :p.

Well, they're not exactly living in grass huts. . . :)

There's no superstitions surrounding cameras. It's just that good old American sense of self-promotion seems to be missing, IMHO.

I, on the other hand, though I'm more interested in writing and directing, don't mean being on camera at all. I even. . . :reject: love the sound of my own voice! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom