Rick Sanchez Is No Longer With The Company - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Rick Sanchez Is No Longer With The Company

He's always seemed like a loose cannon to me, like he could snap at any minute live on air. I'm just surprised he did it on Sirius and not on CNN. I hear Mel Gibson is looking for a friend..

Rick Sanchez has been fired from CNN following his controversial comments on a radio show Thursday.

"Rick Sanchez is no longer with the company. We thank Rick for his years of service and we wish him well,' a CNN statement said.

Sanchez did not appear on the air Friday.

Appearing on "Stand Up with Pete Dominick" Thursday, Sanchez called Jon Stewart a "bigot" and said that CNN and the other networks are all run by Jewish people.

Discussing Stewart with radio host Pete Dominick, Sanchez said that the "Daily Show" host has a limited worldview, and called him a "bigot."

The conversation began with Sanchez decrying "elite, Northeast establishment liberals" who "deep down, when they look at a guy like me, they see a guy automatically who belongs in the second tier, and not the top tier.

"I think to some extent Jon Stewart and [Stephen] Colbert are the same way. I think Jon Stewart's a bigot," he said. "I think he looks at the world through, his mom, who was a school teacher, and his dad, who was a physicist or something like that. Great, I'm so happy that he grew up in a suburban middle class New Jersey home with everything you could ever imagine."

When asked who Stewart is bigoted against, Sanchez said "everybody else who's not like him."

Sanchez would eventually retract the "bigot" claim, settling instead on calling Stewart "prejudicial" and "uninformed."

But he made a larger point when Dominick suggested that Stewart could understand being part of an oppressed minority group because he is Jewish.

Sanchez scoffed at the claim, snickering and suggesting that CNN and the rest of the media is run by Jewish people (from the "Stand Up with Pete Dominick" blog):

"Very powerless people... [snickers] He's such a minority, I mean, you know [sarcastically]... Please, what are you kidding? ... I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they -- the people in this country who are Jewish -- are an oppressed minority? Yeah." [sarcastically]

Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:28 PM
He's a wanker. Maybe Fox will hire him as a commentator and he'll run for Congress in a couple of years.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I was thinking he might end up on FOX, maybe they've already called

Jon Stewart broke his silence over Rick Sanchez's comments about him and Sanchez's firing from CNN Saturday night.

After remaining quiet Friday as Sanchez's controversial comments from a radio show — in which he called Stewart a "bigot" and suggested that the media is run by Jewish people — became major news, Stewart addressed the issue at Comedy Central's "Night of Too Many Stars" at New York's Beacon Theater.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Stewart made at least two references to the situation while hosting the event, which was a fundraiser for autism research.

"If you went on radio and said the Jews control the media...you may want to hold on to your money," he said, according to THR's Georg Szalai. Later, he joked, "All he has to do is apologize to us, and we'll hire him back."

Later in the show, David Letterman made a surprise appearance and joked that he was late because he was "helping Rick Sanchez clean out his office," according to GossipCop.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:28 PM
Rick Sanchez calling Jon Stewart uninformed? That's pretty funny.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Ironically, one of the major hangups Sanchez had in the radio segment was that Stewart has a responsibility to the American public as a newsman, despite the host's (correct) insistence that Stewart is a comedian.

Exactly the same trap Tucker Bowtie Shithead got pulled into when Stewart appeared on Crossfire and destroyed the show from the inside out in half an hour.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:28 PM
Is it really so controversial to suggest Jewish Americans are well represented in the US media? Jews are hardly an oppressed minority in the US - sarcasm is an appropriate response to such a claim, I would have thought.

However, I am guessing this guy had previous form in stoking controversy.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I think he was suggesting a little more than "well represented".
Old 10-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Is it really so controversial to suggest Jewish Americans are well represented in the US media? Jews are hardly an oppressed minority in the US - sarcasm is an appropriate response to such a claim, I would have thought.
No, it's not controversial to say it if one is having an intelligent conversation.

It's about how he said it, and the context. See: Dr. Laura
Old 10-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
^That, and I dunno, but I honestly don't give a crap what the racial/ethnic/religious/etc. background of anyone who runs anything is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Later in the show, David Letterman made a surprise appearance and joked that he was late because he was "helping Rick Sanchez clean out his office," according to GossipCop.
Ooooh, snap.

This whole story confuses me because from what I've seen of Rick's show in the past, normally he's never seemed to have any issue with Jon, so I'm not entirely sure where that sudden attack on him came from (and "bigot"? Really? I mean, I don't know Jon Stewart personally, but he sure as heck doesn't come off as a bigot to me). Irritated about the occasional jokes with the taser deal, I'm guessing? He may well have had some legitimate arguments in relation to how Cuban-Americans are treated in this country compared to other groups of people, but there are certainly a whole lot better ways out there to discuss such things.

That said, I don't know if I'd have fired the guy, necessarily-maybe privately talked to him and given him some sort of warning or something. Other people say stupid things on the air all the time and they get to keep their jobs. But that's CNN's call, not mine, so....

Should be interesting to watch "The Daily Show" tonight, definitely.

Angela
Old 10-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
This whole story confuses me because from what I've seen of Rick's show in the past, normally he's never seemed to have any issue with Jon, so I'm not entirely sure where that sudden attack on him came from (and "bigot"? Really? I mean, I don't know Jon Stewart personally, but he sure as heck doesn't come off as a bigot to me)
Maybe it's jealousy-that Jon is a bigger media personality and gets much more media attention. I don't think Rick Sanchez could lead a very big march on Washington.

Christopher Hitchens is calling on Jon Stewart and others in the media to join him in urging CNN to reinstate Rick Sanchez.

In a Slate column Monday, Hitchens defended Sanchez's controversial comments that the media is run by Jewish people.

"I ask myself if the world in which I have worked for so many decades--the intersecting and overlapping world of the news media, publishing, the academy, and the think-tank industry--is even imaginable without the presence of liberal American Jews. The answer is plainly no," Hitchens writes. "Moreover, I can't think of any other 'minority' of which this is remotely true, unless it were to be the other minority from which I can claim descent: people of British or Anglophile provenance."

Hitchens wrote that Sanchez "didn't descend into saying that there was Jewish control of the media, but he did imply that liberalism was linked to a single ethnicity" and added that "there is nothing criminal about this."

He connected Sanchez's abrupt firing to those of Octavia Nasr from CNN (after her kind words toward a late Hezbollah leader) and Dr. Laura Schlessinger (following her N-word rant) and said that, together, these incidents "suggest a network system that cares only about playing safe and avoiding 'offense.'"

Over the weekend, Stewart (who Sanchez called a "bigot" before discussing Jewish people at large) joked that "All [Sanchez] has to do is apologize to us [Jews], and we'll hire him back."

Hitchens called on Stewart to make good on that comedic claim, and join him in urging CNN to reinstate Sanchez:

The best way to demonstrate the hidden influence of the chosen people would be for Jon Stewart and others to join me in calling for Rick Sanchez's reinstatement. If it then didn't happen, it would help us understand who really pulls the strings around here.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Hitchens wrote that Sanchez "didn't descend into saying that there was Jewish control of the media, but he did imply that liberalism was linked to a single ethnicity" and added that "there is nothing criminal about this."
I'm not sure Hitchens was paying attention.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

CNN Fires Rick Sanchez For Anti-Semitic Tirade Against Jon Stewart | Focal Point | Big Think

Quote:
What Sanchez said next hasn't gotten as much media play as the "Jews run CNN" allegation, but it's even uglier. When Dominick implied that Jews can relate to the oppression of Hispanics because of their cultural memory of the Holocaust, Sanchez shot back that he hoped Jews fear a repeat of the Holocaust.

Pete asked, “They can’t relate to that? A Jewish person doesn’t have a constant fear in the back of their head that we could [inaudible] the Holocaust?”

“I think his father could,” Sanchez replied, referring to Stewart.

“I think every Jewish person feels that way,” Pete said.

“I hope so,” Sanchez responded.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
has a

Jon Stewart did a great interview with Terry Gross last night on Fresh Air.

He is SO smart and funny.

Jon Stewart: The Most Trusted Name In Fake News : NPR
Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I hope so? Wow, what a choice of words

Maybe he didn't mean it in that way
Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm not sure I am reading it the same way some of the people here are. What I'm reading is that he feels each generation loses sight of the horrors that happened before and becomes less vigilant, which can allow it to happen again. Am I missing something?