Rally to Restore Sanity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But when the premise of the rally is "Let's stop shouting, stop the name-calling, stop the pointless attacks and let's be reasonable," one must admit it's pretty funny.

Your cynicism is sad.

But when the premise of the rally is "Let's stop shouting, stop the name-calling, stop the pointless attacks and let's be reasonable," one must admit it's pretty funny.

What are you bringing to the table? Tell us your solutions to the problems of high unemployment, the debt and the unwinnable wars.

I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy, but apparently you won't bite. And you won't be the first.

i directly inferred in my post that there were no doubt stupid people at this rally.

Tell us your solutions to the problems of high unemployment, the debt and the unwinnable wars.

DTOM.jpg

I agree with you.

However, in a crowd of a gajillion or whatever, I'm not surprised there are probably more than a few who didn't quite get the spirit right.

Sadly, I'm sure that's all some people will focus on and ignore the whole point of the thing themselves.

And so it will all go on. Surprise, surprise, surprise.

I'm not interested in this nonsense, I view both the Tea Party rallies and the response by a well-known comedian as pure juvenilia, without wishing to offend anyone that has attended either type of rally.

I think we need to get real here, is America a decaying empire as some suggest, or is someone going to for argue for fostering creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship which in my view are the best parts of America, at least as an ideal. This matters to me because personally in spite of my fervent criticisms of US foreign policy I don't want the world to be handed over to them in the east (China/Russia), they seem to have no sympathy for the values that we in the West view as important - democracy, free markets, freedom of expression, all that good stuff.

The world is a pretty dangerous place right now, it's time to wake up.

On the Ground at the Stewart/Colbert Rally | The Blaze

I interviewed a number of different people at the rally, asking each of them where they were from and why they came to DC for the rally. This is how the majority of those conversations played out:

Q: So what brings you to Washington today?
A: The rally!
Q: Well, duh. But why are you at today’s rally?
A: To restore sanity!
Q: But what does that mean? What message are you specifically hoping to send by being here today?
A: People need to stop acting crazy.
Q: Who is acting ‘crazy’?
A: Everyone! People need to stop acting crazy.

And the fact that multiple people showed up with pictures of Republicans with Hitler mustaches is just rich. Real Einsteins, these.

You and that "article" didn't seem to recognize that the majority of this was a joke. Mock the devil and he will flee from thee...

You kinda missed the whole point.

I'm not interested in this nonsense, I view both the Tea Party rallies and the response by a well-known comedian as pure juvenilia, without wishing to offend anyone that has attended either type of rally.

I think we need to get real here, is America a decaying empire as some suggest, or is someone going to for argue for fostering creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship which in my view are the best parts of America, at least as an ideal. This matters to me because personally in spite of my fervent criticisms of US foreign policy I don't want the world to be handed over to them in the east (China/Russia), they seem to have no sympathy for the values that we in the West view as important - democracy, free markets, freedom of expression, all that good stuff.

The world is a pretty dangerous place right now, it's time to wake up.

I think it's probably time to wake up to the fact that nothing 'formal' (or seen as 'adult') can change it. It's just going to take true grassroots movement. If it need to be organized by satirists, who gives a shit?

And the people who pulled levers for Obama expecting that he could change DC really, really, really didn't get it. I voted for him too, wasn't a tough choice, but to pretend that the corporate machine known as Democrats and Republicans is going anywhere, or that real reform is coming is nothing more than fantasy. Pure fantasy. The people who don't yet know this are the ones who need to wake up.

The only possible path to reform is taking these two parties down, democratically and then reforming the system using the system.
And if that takes a comedian, it's because so many disaffected citizens have already woke up to this fact.

So yeah, I appreciate your token cynicism but it's misguided, IMO.

I think it's probably time to wake up to the fact that nothing 'formal' (or seen as 'adult') can change it. It's just going to take true grassroots movement. If it need to be organized by satirists, who gives a shit?

And the people who pulled levers for Obama expecting that he could change DC really, really, really didn't get it. I voted for him too, wasn't a tough choice, but to pretend that the corporate machine known as Democrats and Republicans is going anywhere, or that real reform is coming is nothing more than fantasy. Pure fantasy. The people who don't yet know this are the ones who need to wake up.

The only possible path to reform is taking these two parties down, democratically and then reforming the system using the system.
And if that takes a comedian, it's because so many disaffected citizens have already woke up to this fact.

So yeah, I appreciate your token cynicism but it's misguided, IMO.

I don't claim to have the solutions or the answers. I don't even know what the questions are any more.

We've had years of fake corporate democracy, which has led to disaster (that's not fucking cynicism, that's the reality).

But, maybe, the Swiss direction is worth a try out. Maybe it's time to try out real democracy.

Direct democracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I interviewed a number of different people at the rally, asking each of them where they were from and why they came to DC for the rally. This is how the majority of those conversations played out:

Q: But what does that mean? What message are you specifically hoping to send by being here today?

And the fact that multiple people showed up with pictures of Republicans with Hitler mustaches is just rich. Real Einsteins, these.

You have no appreciation for irony at all, do you?

People show up at Tea Party rallies complaining of "big government" (with nothing to back that up except their Social Security check) and sporting pictures of Obama with all kinds of Nazi accoutrements.

But the irony of your post will escape you.

You poor humorless guy.

Having attended several rallies myself during the past decade in NY and DC both, in a crowd that large you are going to find all kinds of nut jobs. I have witnessed it first hand.
Big deal. The majority there got the point and the joke.
If you listened to Jon's closing remarks, he summed up how most people in the country feel. IMO. Did I attend today? Nope, but I wish I had!
Btw, my cousin is a reporter, lives in DC and was there all day. She also interviewed people and took tons of pictures.
There was not a single mention of the above "nazi references." Doesn't mean they weren't there, but if she saw any during her roving around, she surely would have told me, so I tend to think that this was a very small number presenting that message.
Here's Jon's closing remarks. Bravo.
YouTube - John Stewart's Closing Remarks at the Rally to Restore Sanity And/Or Keep Fear Alive

I apparently must have totally missed that "controversial" stuff myself, then, 'cause from what I observed on TV/online, everyone seemed pretty calm and polite and just looked to be having fun *Shrugs*. And the signs seemed to be pretty light-hearted and funny. The only Nazi-related sign I saw was this one that somebody on another site shared a link to:

Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

That's officially my favorite sign of the whole day :up:.

And Jon's end speech :bow:. Very moving, very sincere, and incredibly true. I'd like to think most people took those words to heart. I seriously hope so.

Agreed overall with Inner El Guapo's post, too. There needs to be legitimate, honest, good-hearted/intentioned attempts at change, from the voters on up. We need to get both parties to wake up and finally listen to what we have to say. Ultimately, in order to get anything moving again, people need to start CARING about what's going on around them, and they need to genuinely educate themselves on the issues that concern us. People have equated cynicism and wariness with complete apathy, and I find that strange. If anything, it should encourage involvement. If you're dissatisfied with what's going on, doesn't it naturally make sense that you'd want to fix whatever's making you unhappy in any way you possibly can? I'm all for having a healthy dose of skepticism, you should never be afraid to question and hold people accountable and all that sort of thing. You have the right to do that, the privilege to do that-lord knows I've done plenty of that in recent years myself. But I really don't understand just throwing in the towel and saying, "Why bother?" If you're going to think that way, then it's hard to take you seriously when you then turn around and complain and demand to know why things aren't being done.

One person can't solve all the world's problems, it kinda takes a mass effort to get things done. We all need to grow up, get over ourselves and our little clique-y mindsets, and start working with each other, or at least trying to-if someone doesn't want to cooperate, fine, leave them be and move on to find someone else who will. If those who refuse to work with others find themselves alone in the future, well, that's their problem to deal with.

Angela

You're trying to find genuine meaning / political messages in a rally organized by two mainstream cable TV comedians?

Stewart's poignant closing remarks aside, you're falling into the same trap as Bill O'Reilly and those boobs from Crossfire who Stewart eviscerated on their own show; looking to a comedian for what your national news media should be providing you.

I apparently must have totally missed that "controversial" stuff myself, then, 'cause from what I observed on TV/online, everyone seemed pretty calm and polite and just looked to be having fun *Shrugs*. And the signs seemed to be pretty light-hearted and funny. The only Nazi-related sign I saw was this one that somebody on another site shared a link to:

Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

That's officially my favorite sign of the whole day :up:.

And Jon's end speech :bow:. Very moving, very sincere, and incredibly true. I'd like to think most people took those words to heart. I seriously hope so.

Agreed overall with Inner El Guapo's post, too. There needs to be legitimate, honest, good-hearted/intentioned attempts at change, from the voters on up. We need to get both parties to wake up and finally listen to what we have to say. Ultimately, in order to get anything moving again, people need to start CARING about what's going on around them, and they need to genuinely educate themselves on the issues that concern us. People have equated cynicism and wariness with complete apathy, and I find that strange. If anything, it should encourage involvement. If you're dissatisfied with what's going on, doesn't it naturally make sense that you'd want to fix whatever's making you unhappy in any way you possibly can? I'm all for having a healthy dose of skepticism, you should never be afraid to question and hold people accountable and all that sort of thing. You have the right to do that, the privilege to do that-lord knows I've done plenty of that in recent years myself. But I really don't understand just throwing in the towel and saying, "Why bother?" If you're going to think that way, then it's hard to take you seriously when you then turn around and complain and demand to know why things aren't being done.

One person can't solve all the world's problems, it kinda takes a mass effort to get things done. We all need to grow up, get over ourselves and our little clique-y mindsets, and start working with each other, or at least trying to-if someone doesn't want to cooperate, fine, leave them be and move on to find someone else who will. If those who refuse to work with others find themselves alone in the future, well, that's their problem to deal with.

Angela

Great post Angela! I agree 100%.
:up::applaud:

If anyone is interestested my brother wrote a great piece this morning on his blog at The Center for Justice and was clearly inspired by Jon Stewart's closing remarks yesterday.
By the way, Tim my brother was the recipient of the Edward R Murrow award at Wash.State University upon graduation for most outstanding journalism student in his class. I am proud of him!

Why Murrow Can't Rest in Peace | Center for Justice

Having attended several rallies myself during the past decade in NY and DC both, in a crowd that large you are going to find all kinds of nut jobs. I have witnessed it first hand.
If you listened to Jon's closing remarks, he summed up how most people in the country feel. IMO. Did I attend today? Nope, but I wish I had!
Btw, my cousin is a reporter, lives in DC and was there all day. She also interviewed people and took tons of pictures.
There was not a single mention of the above "nazi references." Doesn't mean they weren't there, but if she saw any during her roving around, she surely would have told me, so I tend to think that this was a very small number presenting that message.
YouTube - John Stewart's Closing Remarks at the Rally to Restore Sanity And/Or Keep Fear Alive

Thank you for posting this. :heart::heart::heart:

Thank you so much for the link and posting it here. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom