Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I thought you did that because it was the headline of a Guardian article.
No, it was the title I chose for a thread I posted with a link to a Guardian article.

I think, however, that I read the phrase on some blog or other. I do not claim originality regarding the phrase.

I strongly suspected the oil price was going to collapse, but I am kicking myself that I didn't really clean up.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think the Guardian article again was referring to some person who used the phrase. Isn't it a common phrase in English, anyways? I think it fits the situation very well, and the Icelandic government is in my eyes responsible for bringing the country in that position.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
In my opinion the summer '08 oil bubble was due to speculation, pure and simple. There were no sound supply/demand reasons to support the oil price at that level, in my view.

Domestic crude stocks were well below average (and critically low) over the summer, according to DOE. We are now back above average, and demand has fallen something like 5% or more.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post

Domestic crude stocks were well below average (and critically low) over the summer, according to DOE. We are now back above average, and demand has fallen something like 5% or more.
Sorry, am I missing something here? A drop in demand of 5% is consistent with a price drop of nigh on 75%? That would surely imply an unusally steep supply/demand curve? I am really not getting this. Admittedly my recollections of college courses in microeconomics are a bit hazy.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yes, the oil demand and supply curves are steep. Oil went from $3 to $40 from 1973-1980 for example. I think the longer we stay at prices below cost (for many fields), the sharper the next upward spike will be.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Yes, the oil demand and supply curves are steep. Oil went from $3 to $40 from 1973-1980 for example.
Yes, but that was a supply crunch. I agree that it was down to fundamental supply and demand. It wasn't speculation - of course, we didn't have hedge funds back then.

Quote:
I think the longer we stay at prices below cost (for many fields), the sharper the next upward spike will be.
I agree, but, again, my argument is speculation is a big factor these days, more so than in the 1970's. Some day, all these hedgies that are now shorting oil will rapidly reverse position and go long.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Here's a question from a novice: is it not possible that peak oil might simultaneously a. not be the cause of the immediate dramas around the world, and b. but, nonetheless not a scam?

After all, we aren't claiming the supply of oil (on a downward slide) and the demand for it (ever growing) won't cross paths at some point, surely? Whether that is soon or not-so-soon? (and thirty years from now would still be pretty 'soon', I think).
Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Here's a question from a novice: is it not possible that peak oil might simultaneously a. not be the cause of the immediate dramas around the world, and b. but, nonetheless not a scam?

After all, we aren't claiming the supply of oil (on a downward slide) and the demand for it (ever growing) won't cross paths at some point, surely? Whether that is soon or not-so-soon? (and thirty years from now would still be pretty 'soon', I think).
Demand was growing until a few months ago, and it suddenly started retreating faster than supply. The changes in demand and supply are bumpy, not smooth, which explains the volatility. The most convincing evidence I've seen is the export numbers - I posted a wsj graphic before. Despite record high prices over the summer, most large exporters were not able to increase output to take advantage of the high prices. Their 2008 output was actually lower than it was in prior years, when oil was a fraction of the price.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #114
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post

That is certainly possible, yes. My current thinking is leaning towards peak oil being a scam but I could be wrong on this.

But, if the advocates of the peak oil theory are correct, then they really overstated their case when they claimed 2005 was the year of peak oil and we now have a price no higher, and trending lower, than in 2005.

As you say, thirty years from now is nothing, really, but if the peak oil advocates claimed it has already happened in order to win advocates for their theory, or for whatever other reason, then they did a very foolish thing, which is likely to backfire.

It's a bit like the old story about the boy who cried wolf, I guess.

Sooner or later, the wolf does arrive at the door.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:53 PM
On the one hand, but then on the other hand!

Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling you both could be right. All those occasional stories about producers possibly already being at their limit of production (regardless of demand) are a bit of a worry. At the same time, well, 'Peak Oil' is part of a group of doom-y musings on the future, and some bits can come off as loopier than others.

Even if the wolf doesn't arrive at the door for thirty years, I'd still say we'll be in a great deal of trouble. Because every time the heat goes off, the sense of urgency about developing a replacement energy source (to power a global civilisation, mind you), seems to dissipate as well.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
My prediction:

$85-$95 per barrel
who would have thought this guess would have been way too high?

thank you president bush for lifting the ban on offshore drilling
Old 01-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizip View Post
who would have thought this guess would have been way too high?
Yeah I know! Everyone underestimated the depth of the recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizip View Post
thank you president bush for lifting the ban on offshore drilling

This point is really of minor significance in the context of the collapse in oil prices.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:53 AM
Quote:
This point is really of minor significance in the context of the collapse in oil prices.
yeah, it's kind of a lame jab really.

so financeguy, care to have a go at predicting prices at the end of 09?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #119
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang96 View Post
so financeguy, care to have a go at predicting prices at the end of 09?
It's like throwing darts at a dartboard while blindfolded.

$80? It's as good a number as any.

Let's assume that as Ntalwar says the market is fundamentally supply and demand driven and the speculative element is minor.

Global demand is arguably down 40-50% from peak for consumer goods bar basic foods and necessities.

Take 40% off the peak oil price and we get around $80.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Let's assume that as Ntalwar says the market is fundamentally supply and demand driven and the speculative element is minor.

Global demand is arguably down 40-50% from peak for consumer goods bar basic foods and necessities.

Take 40% off the peak oil price and we get around $80.
I'm not sure I agree with the math here. I'm of the opinion that the demand and supply curves for oil are steep, so a small change in demand or supply causes a large movement in price. E.g. oil rose 40% in price (from $35 to $50) in a few weeks - and demand or supply did not shift that much. People don't drive a quarter as much when gas quadruples in price (from $1 to $4), etc. ($4 to $16 is another story).

Tags
oil prices