Obama Chapter In 8th Grade Textbook Is "Unfair And Troubling"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Textbooks have to be politically balanced too? He has made history, has he not? It is endorsing him and "indoctrinating" students in some way to have such a chapter in a literature class, about his book? I read from and about many figures in history in school, had no effect on my political beliefs (whatever those actually were in 8th grade or high school). Include a chapter from a John McCain book then, if that's the issue.

October 16, 2008
FROM ASSOCIATED PRESS

MADISON, Wis. — The Racine school district’s use of an eighth grade textbook that includes a chapter on Democrat Barack Obama but nothing on his opponent John McCain is unfair and troubling, the Wisconsin Republican Party argued Thursday.

A parent complained on an Internet blog about the textbook that includes a chapter on Obama called ‘‘Dreams from My Father.’’

The school district said in a statement that it has received no complaints about the book, which it first used last school year. Even so, the 21,000-student district said it was reviewing its policies regarding the book’s use in a literature class.

The textbook, ‘‘McDougal Littell Literature,’’ is published by an arm of Houghton Mifflin Co. A spokesman for the publisher, Richard Blake, said the book was compiled in 2005 before Obama ran for president.

The latest version of the textbook, with a 2009 copyright, and all future versions will not include the Obama chapter to avoid any appearance that the publisher supports one political campaign over another, Blake said.

Wisconsin Republican Party executive director Mark Jefferson accused the Racine district of being a ‘‘satellite campaign office’’ for Obama. Deciding to use the textbook was at best very poor judgment and at worst intentional indoctrination of students in Democratic politics, he said.

‘‘That offends a lot of people in our party and justifiably so,’’ Jefferson said. ‘‘You don’t have to look very far outside of the Democratic presidential nominee to come up with other stories of inspiration as well.’’

Phil Walzak, spokesman for Obama’s campaign in Wisconsin, declined immediate comment.

The chapter in question includes an excerpt from Obama’s 2004 speech at the Democratic National Convention and a portion of his 1995 autobiography.

The book was chosen by a group of teachers because of how well it meets the state’s academic standards, the Racine district said in its statement.

‘‘The choice of this selection was to provide a contemporary and multicultural figure to explore the unit on community,’’ the district

The reasoning is just f**king ridiculous, "indoctrinating"? Those type of people scare me.

That being said, I do think it's a little early for Obama to be making it in the text books...

MyFoxNY.com -- Inspirational poster or openly partisan politics? That is the question over a large poster featuring Sen. Barack Obama that was on display over a middle school in Brooklyn.

The New York City Department of Education has reportedly ordered MS 61 in Crown Heights to remove the poster. The Gladstone H Atwell School is located a few blocks east of Prospect Park.

One teacher, who requested anonymity, told the New York Post, "I consider it a form of electioneering."

The Post says the action continues the DOE's crackdown on politically charged expression in schools - as the teachers union defends workers' rights to wear partisan campaign buttons in class.

The union filed a lawsuit in federal court last Friday, arguing that the crackdown violated teachers' rights to free expression. But Schools Chancellor Joel Klein disputed that claim in papers submitted to the court yesterday, arguing that the prohibition "preserves and protects the rights of students to be free from partisan view of teachers in the classroom."

Back
Top Bottom