Near-death experience explained? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
because it's where we're going next..and one's destination is based on what you do here..
...i want my friends to go to the best place the easiest way.

behold, the marketing hook.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
behold, the marketing hook.
King James Bible:

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

<>

Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Just a quick thought for diamond. You keep saying that its easier not to believe in an afterlife. What makes you so sure of that? For me, I find it extremely difficult to not believe in an afterlife, but its the conclusion that I've somewhat reluctantly come to. For some reason, it scares the crap out of me that once I'm done, an infinite amount of time will pass that I just wont get to take part in. I realize that it will be no different than before I was born, but the fact that I'm now able to be conscious of that fact is a very grim reality for me. Also when loved ones die, its much easier to cope with the thought that you'll meet up with them eventually, rather than they're gone and you'll never get to see them again, ever. I mean, that can be a really hard pill to swallow. I dont think its fair to label non belief as the easier route. For I, and I assume many others, would say your beliefs are the easiest to live with

You stated that well Jive Turkey. I agree.

I think that humans are the only living beings on earth that
have the awareness of their coming death.

Animals and plants, I think, operate in the now.They do suffer pain, but they are not aware of their impending death.

This fear we have of nonexistence, I think, is a sign that we were created by God and we were created to live forever.

In our body and spirit, we are a living soul.

"We are wonderfully made." the scriptures say.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Just a quick thought for diamond. You keep saying that its easier not to believe in an afterlife. What makes you so sure of that? For me, I find it extremely difficult to not believe in an afterlife, but its the conclusion that I've somewhat reluctantly come to. For some reason, it scares the crap out of me that once I'm done, an infinite amount of time will pass that I just wont get to take part in. I realize that it will be no different than before I was born, but the fact that I'm now able to be conscious of that fact is a very grim reality for me. Also when loved ones die, its much easier to cope with the thought that you'll meet up with them eventually, rather than they're gone and you'll never get to see them again, ever. I mean, that can be a really hard pill to swallow. I dont think its fair to label non belief as the easier route. For I, and I assume many others, would say your beliefs are the easiest to live with

Because man has manipulated, homogenized and amalgamated God's word, it has left many people disillusioned and flustered- understandably so.

That said, many have turned from God to abject hedonism and nihilism, flustered w all the babble and inconsistencies of different religious machinations- also understandable.

So, in this mind set, many have temporarily talked themselves out of a Creator and The Divine Purpose of Life, because of all the anxiety and conflict that has been hoisted upon and w/in them, and conclude that hedonism, nihilism and denying a Creator would be much more logical and easier.

The trick in this life is to have Faith enough to find out who God really is, what He wants you to with your life while on Earth, and if you do that correctly, you're on to inherit a greater reward.

<>
Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:42 AM
Quote:
King James Bible:

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

<>
I'm smarter than you, I do the right thing, and I don't do it to appease a sky God.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
I'm smarter than you, I do the right thing, and I don't do it to appease a sky God.
You certainly seem like a sharp, educated person. I usually enjoy reading your posts. However, I do find it odd how you seem to easily throw intellectuals like Kant, Plato, Socrates, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Aquinas…etc. into the trash bin labeled “idiot” – faith and wisdom can coexist and are not mutually exclusive.

In fact, these men often argue you can’t truly have one without the other. And I doubt any would make the statement "I'm smarter than you" even though they probably were.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

I never said that there haven't been very deep thinkers who had strong faith. I just said that I believe that I am smarter than a troll, and given his bible quote I know I can't outmatch his arrogance.

I think that it's interesting that you put Plato and Socrates in your list. Euthyphro gives a very strong argument against Diamonds point about morality.

The statement was The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." and I take exception to that
Old 04-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

I think you misused the oxford comma in that case
Old 04-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I never said that there haven't been very deep thinkers who had strong faith.
Then I apologize for misinterpreting your comment.

Quote:
I think that it's interesting that you put Plato and Socrates in your list. Euthyphro gives a very strong argument against Diamonds point about morality.
Platonic and Stoic philosophy fuses very well into Christian theology in many areas – especially the concepts of Forms and Logos.

Quote:
The statement was The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." and I take exception to that
I believe part of the intention of the passage is to encourage believers more than to insult non-believers – meaning that despite someone’s superior education or sophistication – they’re a bit foolish for missing something so obvious as the basic concept of God . That being said, I certainly hope that a passage that dates over 2,000 years ago (much longer if you account for oral tradition) truly insults you personally.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

"It is very beautiful over there!"

These have sometimes been reported as his last words, but were actually spoken several days before his death, as he awoke from a nap, gazing upwards, as reported by his physician Dr. Hubert S. Howe, in Thomas A. Edison, Benefactor of Mankind.

<>
Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
inferiority complex?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

It is a thought terminating statement, if somebody has been inculcated with that proverb then they may reflexively dismiss arguments against theism as foolish without any consideration.

It also contains a contemptible statement about the behaviour of nonbelievers which is plainly wrong. I don't do abominable works and I do good things,

As far as minimising the statement on the basis that its very old and depends on the context of a particular cultures oral tradition then why not extend that argument to the rest of the bible? Why is it that the nasty pieces have to be explained away with cultural context and error-prone writers but other pieces are deemed to be divinely inspired?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

As far as minimising the statement on the basis that its very old and depends on the context of a particular cultures oral tradition then why not extend that argument to the rest of the bible? Why is it that the nasty pieces have to be explained away with cultural context and error-prone writers but other pieces are deemed to be divinely inspired?
It was not the statement which I intended to minimized, but your offense to it.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #74
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:42 PM
Quote:
inferiority complex?
Knock it off, diamond.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
"It is very beautiful over there!"

These have sometimes been reported as his last words, but were actually spoken several days before his death, as he awoke from a nap, gazing upwards, as reported by his physician Dr. Hubert S. Howe, in Thomas A. Edison, Benefactor of Mankind.

<>
Oh cool, so he had a dream.