Missing link found

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
playdough.jpg

Entertaining thread to look back on... but a silly theory.

Makes a lot more sense than the big bang theory to cell to fish to salamander to ape to man.

<>

To you it might, if it does go with it... to me it's silly and has a lot more holes than your quick synopsis of the big bang theory and evolution.

Maybe you should look into a book deal.:hmm:

It's a very scary thought to think when we die there is nothing, nada, zip, zero. We can't imagine it because we can't even reproduce it. We always have something on/in our mind. An image, hearing (is that right word when it's inside our head??) a voice, etc.

See, I never understood why this is scary.

Were you aware of yourself before you were born? Worse comes to worst you go back to that, and I don't know why that should be frightening.

The way humans got off course is subscribing to the Ex Nihilo theory of creation, a Catholic theory later adopted by most post Catholic Christians creeds- when the word creation means you don't make something out of nothing.

For all we know those bones found our from chunks of other worlds when God took His powers and created this planet, and we've been ignorantly extrapolating on the findings ever since.

<>
I have a degree in ignorance :hyper:

In the real world this is just as much a missing link as every other fossil, it isn't a step on the great chain of being to the pinnacle of man, it is a creature adapted to its environment during the eocene that is more closely related to a common ancestor it shared with apes (including humans) and other primates.

See, I never understood why this is scary.

Were you aware of yourself before you were born? Worse comes to worst you go back to that, and I don't know why that should be frightening.

I think it's scary to some (at least those that I've talked to about their faith and what if there's no God).

There has to be meaning attached to our lives right? I have to know that my life has a reward; or is more rewarding than a desk job 8-5 for a good majority of my life.

It all comes back to some sort of meaning. Or what is the point???

I don't worry about such things. I TRY to live in the moment the best I can, but naturally I'll reflect on where I'm at in life and see if it's been a good ride. If not, see if I can make changes to change my perspective.

It all comes back to some sort of meaning. Or what is the point???

I don't worry about such things. I TRY to live in the moment the best I can, but naturally I'll reflect on where I'm at in life and see if it's been a good ride. If not, see if I can make changes to change my perspective.

I agree with you there.

I don't think that meaning in life is derived from the possibility of afterlife. The best that you can do is live a good life here, be good to those around you, be productive and hopefully contribute positively rather than negatively to your community, etc. Try to find happiness in your own corner of the world, regardless of what happens afterward.

I no longer concern myself at all with the afterlife, its presence or absence has no bearing on my daily life.

This fear is interesting, it goes along the tendency of believers to indulge in more heroic medical interventions to stay alive than nonbelievers. I die, my brain stops working, and my conscious experience ends; it isn't that difficult to draw that conclusion, and no amount of wish thinking could change it.

I have a degree in ignorance :hyper:

Is 29:14

14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid

:whistle:

<>

I am a little concerned with the hype, this fossil has been unveiled with a great PR machine behind it, which is targeting the American population.

There are many transitional fossils in the record, and while amazingly close to the root of the primate tree, this specimen isn't likely to be our direct ancestor. The idea of a great chain of being with man at the top is a truly antiquated idea that was annihilated by Darwin, all this talk of missing links and most important finds may be doing a disservice to public understanding of science (even though its still better than watching religious bigots promulgate falsehoods).

I am a little concerned with the hype, this fossil has been unveiled with a great PR machine behind it, which is targeting the American population.

There are many transitional fossils in the record, and while amazingly close to the root of the primate tree, this specimen isn't likely to be our direct ancestor.

I agree with you.

But I think it's really REALLY cool that people are interested in this enough to go read about the science behind it. The real value lies in that, and not really in whether Ida is my great-grandmother a zillion times removed.

There are many transitional fossils in the record, and while amazingly close to the root of the primate tree, this specimen isn't likely to be our direct ancestor. The idea of a great chain of being with man at the top is a truly antiquated idea that was annihilated by Darwin, all this talk of missing links and most important finds may be doing a disservice to public understanding of science (even though its still better than watching religious bigots promulgate falsehoods).

Me too,
that is why I posted this a couple of days ago.

I am not quite ready to take the 'leap of faith' that Ida is the missing link, for sure.

Did humans evolve from this species? perhaps.

Could she only be a branch that went extinct? perhaps.

Do I believe that humans and chimps have a common ancestor? I think it is more likely than not.

If the claims are too big and this goes sideways,
religious people will use it to cling to their creationist beliefs

Allow me to 4th A_W's sentiment.
The transitional fossils blow my mind more than this thing.
Seems like misdirected hype.

There is a program on the History Channel..Monday, I believe about this.

Also, Jive Turkey wins post of the day for Brontosaurus Jesus.

yeh well would you give a shit what a 4 ft Jesus had to say? Nobody that small can make a difference.
It takes a Jesus the size of a large dinosaur to sort shit out and get the message across.
When messiah-saurus dictates...you fucking listen.
Ok, random, but I lol'd. :lol:

I have been reading articles on this the last couple of days.

here is the link (pun intended) :

DailyTech - "Sinful" Missing Human Evolutionary Ancestor Discovered in Africa

and another:

2-million-year-old fossils offer look at human evolution - latimes.com

I'm such a nerd for stuff like this :nerd: Fascinating. And how cool that in the second article, the discovery was made by a 9 year old boy.

Back
Top Bottom