Mental Health Group Wants Pedophilia De-Stigmatized - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I think we need to be very very careful about destigmatizing an activity that actively harms people--particularly people who are uniquely unable to defend themselves.
Yes indeed, and I think we definitely shouldn't do it

I think most people have an understandably visceral and very emotional response to this because it involves children. That is a very good point VP made about some of the pedophiles being abused themselves. Doesn't excuse it at all but it does explain it (however much you can really "explain" something like that) to a certain extent. Doesn't mean it should be destigmatized.
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,863
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
You should read some on Amercan history in the 19th century.

Murder was not the norm then.
I am familiar with American history in the 19th century.

I've no idea what your point is, though.
__________________

__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan
I am familiar with American history in the 19th century.

I've no idea what your point is, though.
Oh, its that life was better then and people drank liquid rainbows and ate gum drops and swam in magical rivers of chocolate and rode unicorns to work and skipped, hand in hand with strangers just cuz and everyone lived in tree houses and grownups built snowmen and people would sing in the streets and and cars ran on love and pets could talk if you'd only listen hard enough and every sunrise was more beautiful than the last and no one murdered each other
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I am familiar with American history in the 19th century.

I've no idea what your point is, though.

We live in a much more violent society now.
__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #50
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse

We live in a much more violent society now.
And that's why we solve violence with violence, kids.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
And that's why we solve violence with violence, kids.

What do you mean by that statement?
__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
We live in a much more violent society now.


do you know what life on the frontier was like?

the Civil War Draft riots?

the Civil War itself?
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #53
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse

What do you mean by that statement?
You appear to be suggesting that capital punishment (violence) is necessary because the world is more violent today. If that's not what you're suggesting, please clarify.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,863
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
We live in a much more violent society now.
1. No, we don't.

2. Why does that mean we need capital punishment?

3. Have you compared the murder rate in the United States to the murder rate in other countries?
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #55
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,797
Local Time: 02:34 AM
"Minor attracted?" Hahaha sounds like something from the NAMBLA episode of South Park. Probably not the best route if you want to give your cause legitimacy.

Like Melon said, this article is not worth getting worked up over because legitimate channels, the sort that actually have influence, wouldn't touch this with a ten-foot pole. Bear in mind, not all societies have the same view of pedophilia that we do, but I would hope that our advances in psychological analysis would prevent us from ever destigmatizing it. Clearly, it is objectively harmful and impossible to sympathize with. To me, the fact that someone would argue pedophilia is worse than mass homicide shows less that we need to pity pedophiles and more that Fox News is performing their obligation to spread hysteria extremely well.

I don't agree with capital punishment (I don't believe man should play God, least of all the sort that typically supports capital punishment), and I certainly don't in this instance because it would be letting them off easy. From what I've observed, VP's example of a self-loathing pedophile is fairly commonly seen, and I can't imagine a much worse penalty than throwing them in prison to think about what the fuck they did, especially since child molesters are probably #1 on most prisoners' respective hit lists.

Do I pity those with improper urges that sincerely do not want to act on them? Of course. I want them to get well. Destigmatizing those urges has greater consequences, however.

Somehow, Iron Horse's detour into the prevalence of violence in American society has managed to brighten up this extremely dire discussion.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
especially since child molesters are probably #1 on most prisoners' respective hit lists.


this is a good point. many of them are killed or beaten severely in prison.

the most extreme example would be Jeffrey Dahmer, but it's quite common.

other people who get killed in jail are former cops, actually.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511

this is a good point. many of them are killed or beaten severely in prison.

the most extreme example would be Jeffrey Dahmer, but it's quite common.

other people who get killed in jail are former cops, actually.

the guy who killed Dahmer didn't even know who he was. He just wanted to kill a white person.
I suppose that's beside the point though
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:56 AM   #58
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,600
Local Time: 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
We live in a much more violent society now.
it only seems like we do because now we can see everything on television. heck, to just talk about the stuff we learn about in history, what about the days of the wild west? organised crime during prohibition? are you telling me people back then didn't shoot each other but just ran from city to city hugging people?
__________________

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com