Male Rights Activist Calls for Valentine's Day Boycott

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok, i kind of enjoyed that. however, i think his points about female entitlement are taken (by me, at least) while at the same time he doesn't have to bash other men and call them sissies or whatever to make such a point.

i think we all know that V-Day is a Hallmark Holiday designed to get you to buy ultra-generic, overpriced, bullshit gifts and/or sit in overcrowded restaurants that charge $75 for a botulism-daring prix-fixe meal prepared hours earlier and marinating under heat lamps.

on a more serious note, there do seem to be structural inequalities built into industries that make their money off of heterosexual relationships, and i can't help but think that those may play out in certain heterosexual relationships. that really is his point, i think, but why does he have to resort to male-bashing (precisely the crime he accuses Hallmark of) to do so? he's really obsessed with testicles. or the metaphorical lack thereof.

for the record, we get Popeye's fried chicken every Valentine's Day and eat it in front of the TV. i got the idea from (heterosexual) friends who go ironically to Pizza Hut each year.

"Under the Clitoral Hood: How to Crank Her Engine Without Cash, Booze or Jumper Cables,"

Charming title!

While I don't necessarily disagree with some of the sentiment in here (if I got flowers on Valentine's Day, it'd be very nice and appreciated, but I wouldn't go into fits of rage if I didn't get them, either, just being able to spend time with the guy I was with at all would be lovely enough as it is), people, it's just a holiday. It's not worth getting all offended and outraged and making a big "I'm taking a stand!" sort of production over. On either end.

Angela

on a more serious note, there do seem to be structural inequalities built into industries that make their money off of heterosexual relationships, and i can't help but think that those may play out in certain heterosexual relationships. that really is his point, i think, but why does he have to resort to male-bashing (precisely the crime he accuses Hallmark of) to do so? he's really obsessed with testicles. or the metaphorical lack thereof.
I agree...he sounds like he has some anxiety issues about being sufficiently assertive with women, which is his problem not Hallmark's, however materialistic their motives may be (well, are).

I don't necessarily interpret it as male-bashing per se. If is true, as he claims, that the cult of Valentine's Day perpetuates female entitlement, then actually males are partially 'to blame' by enabling this sense of entitlement - hence, they need to man up and grow a set.

84YRg.png

I don't necessarily interpret it as male-bashing per se. If is true, as he claims, that the cult of Valentine's Day perpetuates female entitlement, then actually males are partially 'to blame' by enabling this sense of entitlement - hence, they need to man up and grow a set.

i do find female entitlement an interesting point. i haven't fully formulated my thoughts on the matter, but the most entitled females i know are single. they go through dudes like kleenex.

What are the characteristics of an "entitled female" and why would a man choose to date such a woman?

What are the characteristics of an "entitled female" and why would a man choose to date such a woman?

there seems to be an expectation of a male suitor of a certain income level who is both a guy's guy and yet able to not just meet but anticipate her every emotional need. there is an expectation that they will be treated in the manner in which their monied fathers have treated them, but yet be right in every disagreement. apologies, flowers, and homecooked dinners should follow each fight. genuinely interesting boyfriend prospects are discarded after a few dates because they don't measure up to a certain ideal that encompasses not just a specific physical ideal (actually, they are more forgiving on this than their male entitlement counterparts), but an economic and emotional one as well. failure to live up to specific expectations are not even just personal shortcomings, but actually slights against the female involved. you tell yourself that you won't just "settle," and you can point out the various numerous flaws in the spouses and relationships of all your female friends who have "settled," and you won't make those mistakes.

i love these women, but i would never, ever want to date them. it seems an impossible task. i would initially tend to blame the makers of hollywood rom-coms, but then, people like these women spend $$$ to go see such films, so wash, rinse, repeat.

Hmmm. I honestly don't think I know anyone like that. I don't have too many "monied father" friends though, of either sex.

Hmmm. I honestly don't think I know anyone like that. I don't have too many "monied father" friends though, of either sex.

i think i know less "entitlement females" and more "females who happen to be entitled."

i will say that even among my married, non-entitlement friends, there does seem to be a strong expectation of what a man will do that has taken me aback. maybe it was being raised on "free to be you and me," but i'm a bit taken at how many women, despite decent careers, very quickly and easily fall into much more traditional female roles than i would have expected, at least given who they were in college.

but then i'm in a relationship with no gender role expectations, or models, so perhaps everything looks patriarchal to me. :shrug:

I don't "know" a lot of women like that personally, but I'm certainly familiar with the type.

While I definitely agree that some women's criteria is rather picky and unrealistic, at the same time, I can understand it to some extent, because most of the women I know tend to hook up with guys who turn out to be total jerks at their BEST moments, and I tend to find myself thinking that these women might want to up their standards some. I think a lot of women are trying so hard to avoid falling into that "dating jerks" scenario that they start off with a list of qualities that are absolutely worthy things to look for and expect in a guy, but then it winds up turning into a list of total perfection that no guy can possibly live up to.

Angela

Frankly I like my romance spontaneous and genuine. I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to VDay.

Seems mostly to me to be a cheap commercial parody of romance designed (by those who profit from it) to foster greed and disappointment (in women) and guilt and resentment (in men).

This guy sounds like he has issues with women and with himself.

Most women I know (single or otherwise) hate Valentine's Day and I certainly don't know anyone who expects elaborate gifts. If it were up to me, I'd ignore it entirely, however the better half is much more romantic and sentimental than me, so I've learned to accept it.

This guy sounds like he has issues with women and with himself.

I agree. Grow a pair? What is he, 12? I'd be afraid of what he says about being "under the clitoral hood" too. Maybe he got stuck under there and he can't get out :wink: Being a man, being masculine, whatever you want to call it, is about so much more than what this guy is talking about. It all seems so high school to me.

I don't feel entitled to a single thing. If I really want anything I can get it for myself or do without it. I think Valentine's Day is just a silly, harmless holiday. I'm not a big believer in "romance" at all. I believe in genuine love and caring and friendship and respect for another person that has zero to do with material goods and can't be proven by those. And not in buying someone things in order to assure sex in return and in thinking that you're being "sextorted". Yeah, that's so "romantic"-who needs or wants that? Ew.

I guess I can't be bothered to even "hate" Valentine's day. I just really couldn't care less. Phil and I enjoy going out for dinner and seeing a movie, so that is our MO for a birthday, anniversary, Valentine's day, etc. We use these special days to justify spending money on consumables :D Since Phil and many of my family and friends are teachers, I see Valentine's day as a day when kids give each other a bunch of candy more than a day when we are supposed to be romantic and Phil gives me expensive gifts. I've always seen it as more of a kids holiday than an adult holiday. :shrug:

I officially boycott women handfeeding grown men. I'd tell him to grow a pair, but... I guess he goes along with it because he's being sextorted.

I can't get that image out of my head. Damn you two crazy kids (well almost 40 year olds feeding each other in public on the world's largest HD screen-go feed each other in private under his painting of himself as a centaur)

YouTube - Cameron Diaz feeds A-Rod

Seems like all the women replying to this thread have had pretty much the same reaction to V-Day.

Kind of makes me feel like this guy has created an imaginary entitled boogeywoman in his head. :shrug:

there seems to be an expectation of a male suitor of a certain income level who is both a guy's guy and yet able to not just meet but anticipate her every emotional need. there is an expectation that they will be treated in the manner in which their monied fathers have treated them, but yet be right in every disagreement. apologies, flowers, and homecooked dinners should follow each fight. genuinely interesting boyfriend prospects are discarded after a few dates because they don't measure up to a certain ideal that encompasses not just a specific physical ideal (actually, they are more forgiving on this than their male entitlement counterparts), but an economic and emotional one as well. failure to live up to specific expectations are not even just personal shortcomings, but actually slights against the female involved. you tell yourself that you won't just "settle," and you can point out the various numerous flaws in the spouses and relationships of all your female friends who have "settled," and you won't make those mistakes.

i love these women, but i would never, ever want to date them. it seems an impossible task. i would initially tend to blame the makers of hollywood rom-coms, but then, people like these women spend $$$ to go see such films, so wash, rinse, repeat.

Oddly enough, my reading of these situations is that the problem is primarily the behaviour of the men here, or at least, that that's the thing that needs to change. I would guess they are behaving like wussies and failing to spark attraction. Attraction is innate - and the last thing that inspires it in the female gender is wussie behaviour (being too available, throwing out grovelling compliments like confetti, ringing her too often, always paying for dinner - all the usual stuff).

Being a man, being masculine, whatever you want to call it, is about so much more than what this guy is talking about. It all seems so high school to me.

But who decides what being masculine is all about - and why should women even have any input into defining it? Not being argumentative, I'm just intrigued by this subject.

But who decides what being masculine is all about - and why should women even have any input into defining it?

As much as we could elaborate on the cultural evolution of gender roles, A_Wanderer would probably keep it simple and point out that propagation of the species is largely determined by women. We determine when and if we will have babies and with whom.

Men who want to have sex learn to adapt. :p

Back
Top Bottom