Male Nurse Feels Humiliated By Qantas Policy - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:16 AM
Why do the miners feel uncomfortable around nurses? Do they feel as though they will be judged for their unhealthy profession? It just does not add up.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

whon whonnnnnnnnn

Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

This is really confusing... and here I thought he was a male nurse for Qantas Airlines...
Old 08-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey

Nobody accused him of anything. They were just following policy. When the police pull me over at a RIDE checkpoint, I don't think I'm being accused of drunk driving. He's being a little oversensitive
In the case of the firefighter, it was reported, the flight attendant said it like, "Could you please swap with him, HE is not allowed to sit next to minors."
Another difference, if they pull everyone over they don't look into the cars before, and others are passing quickly (or also get stopped). There's also less of a stigma attached to it.
With this policy I think also another issue goes unmentioned. The children get taught a male stranger is always danger while a female stranger is always safe.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
In the case of the firefighter, it was reported, the flight attendant said it like, "Could you please swap with him, HE is not allowed to sit next to minors."
Oh, ok. That's a bit different then. A little tact would be nice
Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
45:33

Local Time: 05:16 PM
What a disgusting policy.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Cobbler wants to sit next to young kids. Sick!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Cobbler wants to sit next to young kids. Sick!
We all do, let's face it. Come on - we're guys. There's nothing we like better that molesting other peoples' kids, on planes.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #24
45:33

I think that's why Samuel L Jackson was so pissed off in Snakes on a Plane.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:16 AM
, cobl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthetree View Post
However, if a parent must feel that it is necessary to send their child unsupervised, I would expect for them to teach their children a little street smarts. Such as I when I was younger and I traveled unaccompanied. I was told that there were bad people out there, all around me, predators that seek out children to exploit. Then I was given the definition of exploit and not to tolerate it, in an airplane, airport, mall, store, WHEREVER! End result? NOBODY is going to touch me without a severe screaming and hitting hissyfit!
Agreed on the street smarts. That's the thing, though-I am all for teaching kids to be alert, to know if a stranger (or someone they know) is getting a little too invasive with them. Teach them about "good touch" and "bad touch", all of that. Fine. They should definitely learn that.

But I also fear that we run the risk of making it sound like danger lurks around every corner and if someone even accidentally touches you for some reason (bumps into you or something like that) it's time to sound the alarm. If I had kids, I'd want them to be safe, absolutely, but I also don't want them to walk through life paranoid. Plus, if a parent is that worried about their kid encountering scary adults, then I would think that parent wouldn't feel comfortable with letting their kid go on a plane ride alone to begin with. By allowing a kid to go on a plane unsupervised, that tells me you have a level of trust that they know how to behave and that they will be all right.

And, as noted in the article, if a child is abused, more often than not it's by someone they know, and not some random person on a plane.

Quote:
Moral of the story: he got his feelings hurt. wah wah wah. That's life.
I assume you'd feel the same way if you were told to move because you were presumed to be a potential "threat" to children, then?

It was insinuated that him sitting next to kids would be a problem because he could be a potential pedophile. I'd find that pretty insulting, too, if I were in his shoes. Especially since they had absolutely no proof for such an assumption other than he was a man.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #26
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Yeah, that confused me as I read it. His occupation was totally irrelevant.
Well, the point that's been emphasised in Australia is that the two recent stories of men being moved are both people who, in the course of their profession, we entrust to look after kids - either to rescue them from burning buildings or to look after them when they are in hospital. Both have up-to-date working with children cards. Just to make Qantas and Virgin look more ridiculous.

Anyway, I think the whole thing is utterly ridiculous. I travelled across the Tasman as an unaccompanied minor practically every school holiday period in the late nineties (sometimes with Qantas, generally Air New Zealand). Never molested. In fact, I still have fond memories of two flights where I was seated next to very fun adults ... both males. We played cards and watched TV and coaxed the crew into giving us business class meals.

But I guess it was all a ruse to groom me for sex?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Never molested.
This made me laugh
Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy

We all do, let's face it. Come on - we're gays. There's nothing we like better that molesting other peoples' kids, on planes.

You see?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #29
The Fly

I assume you'd feel the same way if you were told to move because you were presumed to be a potential "threat" to children, then?

It was insinuated that him sitting next to kids would be a problem because he could be a potential pedophile. I'd find that pretty insulting, too, if I were in his shoes. Especially since they had absolutely no proof for such an assumption other than he was a man.[/QUOTE]

^ That's so funny you said that. I lived with a roommate and her three children for several months, however we got into a dispute and she packed up my bags and threw me out, stating, "It was for the best interests of the children. I would prefer not to subject my children to your views."

My "views" was that she was a neglectful mother, and I was right. But all in all, being classified as a threat to children pissed me off, but I let it go.

If I were in the same position, I would have moved without asking or any non-compliance at all. That's just me. This whole situation could have been avoided. Yes, the flight attendants could have used more tact- I said that already.

And if it was a policy that was made TO PROTECT CHILDREN, you bet I'd cooperate because to hell with my little sensitive feelings, it's for the greater good. Although I think the policy is stupid, they were just following policy. We all know a lot of abuse happens with someone trusted, so this policy is quite silly. And on an airplane of all places, a person can't even yawn without me smelling their awful pig breath. So yes this policy is STUPID!!!

* Yes I was being tongue in cheek, predators come in all forms, nurses, priests, teachers (often females with younger men aka Letourneau), doctors.

I wasn't raised "paranoid" but honey, I knew the correct definition of exploit. The rest of the kids are raised paranoid, while some are completely unaware that what Uncle Ted is doing is not normal...
What are the statistics here people? On rapes? On incest? On molestation? On child abuse?
Compare that to a person whose feelings were hurt on a plane ride.

Really, tell mr sensitive to lock it up and shut up already. And do away with this ridiculous policy.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

^ That's so funny you said that. I lived with a roommate and her three children for several months, however we got into a dispute and she packed up my bags and threw me out, stating, "It was for the best interests of the children. I would prefer not to subject my children to your views."

My "views" was that she was a neglectful mother, and I was right. But all in all, being classified as a threat to children pissed me off, but I let it go.

If I were in the same position, I would have moved without asking or any non-compliance at all. That's just me. This whole situation could have been avoided. Yes, the flight attendants could have used more tact- I said that already.

And if it was a policy that was made TO PROTECT CHILDREN, you bet I'd cooperate because to hell with my little sensitive feelings, it's for the greater good. Although I think the policy is stupid, they were just following policy. We all know a lot of abuse happens with someone trusted, so this policy is quite silly. And on an airplane of all places, a person can't even yawn without me smelling their awful pig breath. So yes this policy is STUPID!!!

* Yes I was being tongue in cheek, predators come in all forms, nurses, priests, teachers (often females with younger men aka Letourneau), doctors.

I wasn't raised "paranoid" but honey, I knew the correct definition of exploit. The rest of the kids are raised paranoid, while some are completely unaware that what Uncle Ted is doing is not normal...
What are the statistics here people? On rapes? On incest? On molestation? On child abuse?
Compare that to a person whose feelings were hurt on a plane ride.

Really, tell mr sensitive to lock it up and shut up already. And do away with this ridiculous policy.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I'm getting from all of this is that you think the policy is stupid, except you think it's good because it's for the good of the children, so you'd follow it, except it's not really for the good of the children because that's now how people get molested so it's stupid, but getting molested is worse than getting your feelings hurt so it's good, but people with pig breath yawn on you in planes which also makes it good, therefore Mr Sensitive isn't allowed to bitch about the policy, but you are because it's stupid?