KFC ad banned for 'racist' undertones. You decide? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:05 PM
is there even a stereotype of caribbean people liking fried chicken? that's who the ad is portraying as wanting to share the chicken.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
hah, it kinda feels like people around here think i'm from some tiny pacific atoll with no connection to the rest of the world. at least they don't seem to think everyone from new zealand are savages. the scary part is, the people that think this are the ones who should know better, while the people you think might not know anything of the outside world are quite knowledgeable.

You make a very fair point, and I agree with you

Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:05 AM
Quote:
melon, your response seems to highlight the exact problem. in an american context, it would be racist, however in an australian context (where black people + fried chicken isn't a common stereotype) it's a legitimately humourously-inclined ad to show a friendly rivalry at a sporting event.
And I'm certainly aware that this might be a true "lost in translation" kind of moment, which is why I'd be contented hearing what the Australian black community thinks of these images.

As someone who works in marketing, it's worth noting that the internet has made all local campaigns ultimately global in scope. There is also the example of a Dutch PSP ad that was pulled, due to wider outrage on the internet of an angry looking white woman threatening a black woman as a metaphor for the debut of the white-coloured PSP as an alternative to the standard black colour:

I think it's interesting also to note that, while I would quite like to visit both Australia and The Netherlands and I hold a generally favourable opinion of them, both nations are not exactly known for their positive race relations, so while I am willing to say that it's more than possible that U.S. viewers are overreacting to something that isn't there, I also can't rule out some form of (latent) racism, sorry to say, as there have been plenty of historical examples of this in the U.S. to draw precedent from.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
is there even a stereotype of caribbean people liking fried chicken? that's who the ad is portraying as wanting to share the chicken.
well, i've been to a few caribbean parties, and i do remember some damn fucking good jerk chicken, both friend and not. i wouldn't equate that with a stereotype though. i'm just sayin' it was fuckin' good (yes, this was before i went veggie.)

by the way, isn't kfc selling grilled chicken now?

anyway, you have a point. that's a BIG misinterpretation.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
There is also the example of a Dutch PSP ad that was pulled, due to wider outrage on the internet of an angry looking white woman threatening a black woman as a metaphor for the debut of the white-coloured PSP as an alternative to the standard black colour:

Holy shit.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Is it an ethnic festival? From what I gather here about the context, cricket, it might as well be that the Aussie cricket supporter (in his yellow and green shirt) is surrounded by West Indies supporters. If so, the ad is shot in an awkward way because the supporters of the other team are also of another race. And that apparently it's a stereotype that black people eat fried chicken doesn't help either.
You're right. They're cricket team supporters, not at an ethnic festival. I do think that my larger point still stands, though. They're perceived as "ethnic/foreign," in contrast to the white protagonist.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
well, i've been to a few caribbean parties, and i do remember some damn fucking good jerk chicken, both friend and not. i wouldn't equate that with a stereotype though. i'm just sayin' it was fuckin' good (yes, this was before i went veggie.)

by the way, isn't kfc selling grilled chicken now?

anyway, you have a point. that's a BIG misinterpretation.
i don't know if they they are in australia. incidentally, as a veggo, is chicken salt kosher? (ha, that wasn't intentional). all i know is that kfc in new zealand and australia is fucking light years better than american kfc.

given the ad was themed around an australian cricket series against the west indies, i think we've identified the bigger problem at hand - someone wanted to get angry and take some moral high ground before they had any idea of the context of the ad whatsoever.

ps that dutch billboard is horrible and can't be compared to kfc.

funnily enough, most people from australia i've seen reacting to the over-reaction had no idea about this stereotype.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #23
War Child

^^In one sense I think that ad could have suvired in Australia, although yes it does have a racial factor in it, I see it as quite quirky.

It has that shock value, that some companies can get away with, at the right place, right time.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

god damn, i want some kfc now.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #25
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
i can see now why you've gone veggie, if you'd befriend the chicken before you eat it!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #26
War Child

At the end of the day, the target audience was for Australians who watch and enjoy cricket.

The aim of the ad is to make the connection between the Cricket and KFC being a sponsor.

The point of the ad would have gotten across just the same if the bloke was sitting in the middle of the Barmy Army while they where singing.
They just used a caribbean style because it was relevent for the time.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:05 AM
I agree with Melon, I can see where people are coming from, especially in an American context; and I don't know know enough about the Austrailian context of fried chicken and black people to comment.

But the blackface skit was racist no matter how you slice it.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 11:05 AM
Just saw it there, and all I saw was a funny type jabbing advert that its cricket season, this one Aussie guy surrounded by so many visitors and he has a massive bucket of KFC (to advertise the bucket of KFC) sharing round, to demonstrate how much you get in it (quantity)etc.

thats fuking it.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:05 PM
I haven't seen the ad and don't intend to (no, an embedded youtube link does not count on my connection). I will only say that most advertising aims squarely at the lowest common denominator.

As for the old Australia's-so-racist thing. Meh. We have our troubles, who doesn't. I think the nation looks worse from the outside looking in because its default position tends toward complacency and avoiding a fuss. Sometimes that is good, and sometimes that is bad. It's mostly a cultural thing, because the reality is as someone noted, a certain degree of racism is an unavoidable feature of human existence.

The ad, I suspect is probably something worse than racist: stupid.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #30
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin rose View Post
I interpreted it as this guy is at a sporting match and somehow manged to end up sitting with the people from the opposing side, thus why he felt awkward sitting there.

The "too easy" meaning that if you have this great chicken to pass out you can make friends even with your rival.

In America they could have made this commercial, however, the opposing side would have been a mix of difference races and the rivalry would have been highlighted strictly by the opposing jerseys. banners etc.

I'm assuming in this case it was an international match.
This is how I saw it too. And since he's wearing a football t-shirt it's probably aimed for the upcoming World Championship 2010.

That billboard is pretty damn bad. Though Melon, how exactly do you consider the Dutch to be ot well known for their race relations?

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote