Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 4 - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
Who the hell is saving money right now? I think many people I know are just trying to survive right now. Some are looking for second jobs just to make ends meet. Some are unemployed. What my husband & I make is just going to the bills right now, like the mortgage, food, gas, heat, medical, clothing; the basics. There is no money left. And don't tell me I don't work hard enough or I spend too much here & there. I really don't want to hear more about how corporate executives are getting their millions of dollars or how some corporations (oil companies) have record earnings while I'm all happy that gas this morning is only $2.99 a gallon Nor do I want to hear how Mrs. Palin had a $150,000 wardrobe allowance. That kind of money could pay my mortgage. That's an awful lot of clothing for that kind of money. But I digress

\endrant
I understand your anger but getting mad at others because they have more won't actually get you to the point where you have excess cash after you're bills are paid. How is Obama going to change that? If you think Democrats will get you to the point you have excess cash left over after you pay your basic expenses you will be disappointed. You can do a better job on that front than he can.

From my experience there is usually areas where people have to cut their bills that unfortunately is entertainment or big ticket items (cars, houses). People have to find ways to enjoy their life without lots of vacations or tons of electronics as well. My dad had low income all his life and struggled with stupid bosses and he cut expenses drastically and he was able to find equanimity with himself and achieve financial independence later in his life. It was very hard to do that, but it was rewarding in the long run.

The only thing I can think of for your situation is to either get more education or to sell the property you have and move to a smaller place. If mortgage payments take more than 30% of your net pay it will be hard to make ends meet. Lots of people are in your situation because the debt loads are enormous and they often don't have bad income either. House and car debt is the area people have to tackle.
__________________

__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #107
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
This is correct on social issues but they're critcizing the economic side of things in that clip. If I control less of my pay cheque I can make less economic decisions myself. Palin thinks the conservative view on gay rights and abortion has to do with ethics and morality as they see it. These views are based mainly on religious values. They think their beliefs make for a better life for families. People who are non-religious often disagree with religious conservatives on that point.

Conservatives think the judiciary should get out of the abortion debate and have the executive decide. If you like Roe vs. Wade and other legislation from the bench then the Democrats are for you. Democrats think the constitution talks about what the government can't do to you but as Obama said in 2001 it doesn't talk about what the government should do for you. My guess is that you think it should be a personal choice and not a government choice at all.



Yes you right as long as you emphasize that conservatives want the judiciary out of areas they think the executive should interfere. Yes they want to interfere on social issues. Libertarians on the right don't like that idea, and some neo-conservatives don't as well. Conservatives are also for a large military as they see many enemies that would take over if they didn't keep up with them. That's their perception at least.
Talk about some ill-concieved generalizations...
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
I take it you really haven't read or heard the interview, you are just taking Rush's or some other talking heads distortion of the interview... since you didn't respond to my post yesterday about the article you posted.
Please tell me what I'm missing from the interview that's important regarding how Constitutions should be telling what the government should be doing for people.

Also I'm busy too so I many not answer all questions. It's hard to keep a conversation with 6 people all day and it's nothing personal if I miss one.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Talk about some ill-concieved generalizations...
It's also hard to respond to posts like this which are as lazy as could be. You should look at Toscano's posts and others where they actually illustrate some kind of opinion and worldview with some depth. It's okay to write in paragraphs you know?

Maybe liberals don't care about your posting style because they don't disagree with you.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #110
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
It's also hard to respond to posts like this which are as lazy as could be. You should look at Toscano's posts and others where they actually illustrate some kind of opinion and worldview with some depth. It's okay to write in paragraphs you know?

Maybe liberals don't care about your posting style because they don't disagree with you.
Sorry PO, I'm far from a poster child on this, I have neither the time or patience to go into too much depth on this type of forum, BVS and I butt heads more often than not.

Still, I'm glad you're in Canada and not voting here (or are you an absentee ballot ?)
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #111
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
It means the comments that Obama uttered in 2001

Shit, son, comments you made a week ago have been excused. What would you have said seven years ago?
__________________
martha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #112
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post

The only thing I can think of for your situation is to either get more education or to sell the property you have and move to a smaller place. If mortgage payments take more than 30% of your net pay it will be hard to make ends meet. Lots of people are in your situation because the debt loads are enormous and they often don't have bad income either. House and car debt is the area people have to tackle.
Jesus. You have expert advice for everyone.

How the hell do you have the balls to even go there?
__________________
martha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #113
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Please tell me what I'm missing from the interview that's important regarding how Constitutions should be telling what the government should be doing for people.

Also I'm busy too so I many not answer all questions. It's hard to keep a conversation with 6 people all day and it's nothing personal if I miss one.
The whole point is you're using that interview as a source saying that Barack Obama wants socialism and it wasn't in there, it wasn't in the interview.
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #114
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
It's also hard to respond to posts like this which are as lazy as could be. You should look at Toscano's posts and others where they actually illustrate some kind of opinion and worldview with some depth. It's okay to write in paragraphs you know?

Maybe liberals don't care about your posting style because they don't disagree with you.

You're right it was lazy, because there were so many things wrong in that post that I didn't feel like breaking it down point by point like I usually do with your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
This is correct on social issues but they're critcizing the economic side of things in that clip. If I control less of my pay cheque I can make less economic decisions myself. Palin thinks the conservative view on gay rights and abortion has to do with ethics and morality as they see it. These views are based mainly on religious values. They think their beliefs make for a better life for families. People who are non-religious often disagree with religious conservatives on that point.
No, it was correct on all fronts, not just social ones. Palin nor McCain are the small government canidates you'd like to paint them as.

And then you make some weak generalizations you yourself disprove.


Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Conservatives think the judiciary should get out of the abortion debate and have the executive decide. If you like Roe vs. Wade and other legislation from the bench then the Democrats are for you. Democrats think the constitution talks about what the government can't do to you but as Obama said in 2001 it doesn't talk about what the government should do for you. My guess is that you think it should be a personal choice and not a government choice at all.
Conservatives think the judiciary should get out of the abortion debate? Really? That's news to me, yes some would like to just end it with an executive decision but if you don't see that they want the courts in it, then you haven't been paying attention.

And please tell me why it's only the Democrats that understand the constitution speaks of what the government can't do, is there something the Republicans know that the Dems and constitutional scholars don't?


Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Yes you right as long as you emphasize that conservatives want the judiciary out of areas they think the executive should interfere. Yes they want to interfere on social issues. Libertarians on the right don't like that idea, and some neo-conservatives don't as well. Conservatives are also for a large military as they see many enemies that would take over if they didn't keep up with them. That's their perception at least.
I haven't met a neo-con that doesn't like to meddle in social issues...
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #115
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Jesus. You have expert advice for everyone.

How the hell do you have the balls to even go there?
Thank you martha I had no idea what to say there.

By the way, I can't tell you the last time I had a vacation. I have two cars. Yeah, the 20 year old car sits in the driveway waiting for me to come up with $1000+ in repair work, not to mention the $600 in new tires I put on it a week before it decided to break down further. I have a 10 year old car, that, knock on wood, keeps running while I pay off the $1600 in repairs I've put into it in the course of the last 4 months. And creditcard debt? Yeah, I pay it off every month, so I don't have any. And sell my house? Yeah, now there's a solution. Maybe I should go live in bumfuk Iowa. Is that your solution? Maybe I should mention my medical bills too? And the thousands upon thousands of dollars I have to shell out?

Oh, and electronics? Um, yeah, I got an ipod about 2-3 years ago as a birthday present. I can't think of the last electronic thing we've purchased. And no, I don't buy DVDs or go to the movies or go on short trips. So you telling me to spend less on my necessities?

Piss off.
__________________
Lila64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #116
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
Thank you martha I had no idea what to say there.

By the way, I can't tell you the last time I had a vacation. I have two cars. Yeah, the 20 year old car sits in the driveway waiting for me to come up with $1000+ in repair work, not to mention the $600 in new tires I put on it a week before it decided to break down further. I have a 10 year old car, that, knock on wood, keeps running while I pay off the $1600 in repairs I've put into it in the course of the last 4 months. And creditcard debt? Yeah, I pay it off every month, so I don't have any. And sell my house? Yeah, now there's a solution. Maybe I should go live in bumfuk Iowa. Is that your solution? Maybe I should mention my medical bills too? And the thousands upon thousands of dollars I have to shell out?

Oh, and electronics? Um, yeah, I got an ipod about 2-3 years ago as a birthday present. I can't think of the last electronic thing we've purchased. And no, I don't buy DVDs or go to the movies or go on short trips. So you telling me to spend less on my necessities?

Piss off.
You forgot the "go get more education" part, school is free after all.......

(well it WAS in the more-socialist-than-here-but-not-quite-socialist-UK where I grew up)
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #117
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
You forgot the "go get more education" part, school is free after all.......

(well it WAS in the more-socialist-than-here-but-not-quite-socialist-UK where I grew up)
Oh yeah, I forgot I should go back to school, run my business, and hope my husband's part-time pay check will cover the mortgage. Maybe sales are down due to this crap of an economy.

And my teen-age daughter... throw her in the mix as well

Real America?
__________________
Lila64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Utoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lovetown
Posts: 8,343
Local Time: 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
Thank you martha I had no idea what to say there.

By the way, I can't tell you the last time I had a vacation. I have two cars. Yeah, the 20 year old car sits in the driveway waiting for me to come up with $1000+ in repair work, not to mention the $600 in new tires I put on it a week before it decided to break down further. I have a 10 year old car, that, knock on wood, keeps running while I pay off the $1600 in repairs I've put into it in the course of the last 4 months. And creditcard debt? Yeah, I pay it off every month, so I don't have any. And sell my house? Yeah, now there's a solution. Maybe I should go live in bumfuk Iowa. Is that your solution? Maybe I should mention my medical bills too? And the thousands upon thousands of dollars I have to shell out?

Oh, and electronics? Um, yeah, I got an ipod about 2-3 years ago as a birthday present. I can't think of the last electronic thing we've purchased. And no, I don't buy DVDs or go to the movies or go on short trips. So you telling me to spend less on my necessities?

Piss off.

Lila, clearly it's all because you're envious of people who are wealthy.
__________________
Utoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #119
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
Is that your solution? Maybe I should mention my medical bills too? And the thousands upon thousands of dollars I have to shell out?
If you'd just get insurance.
__________________
martha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #120
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
If you'd just get insurance.


you know what's awesome about insurance? even insured people can still go broke covering their medical bills!

even if you can afford your premiums, there are still costs. and not everything is covered. and even if it is covered, you still have to cover something, so maybe you don't get that $20,000 bill from your week long hospitalization, but you still have to shell out $2-3K. and for some, that's a lot of money.

you know what else is hilarious? the difference between what the insurance company says, say, a blood test should cost, and how much it actually costs, and even though you have to pay what it actually costs, your insurance only puts the amount it thinks it should cost towards your deductible! isn't that awesome?

and say you were a formerly very healthy person who had an injury or illness. you can easily watch them inch up your premiums by $600 in just under 15 months if you are beset by illness or injury!

yeah insurance!
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com