Is America More or Less Violent Today? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #31
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 08:25 AM
It's less violent, but angrier and more obnoxious. I believe a lot of the reduction in violence has to do with all the medications available and the fact that abortion is legal, hence less unwanted children. I don't know if that makes it any better or worse than yesteryear.
__________________

__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
the fact that abortion is legal, hence less unwanted children.

a neutral fact.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,428
Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
I believe a lot of the reduction in violence has to do with all the medications available and the fact that abortion is legal, hence less unwanted children.
Maybe we should just eat the unwanted children. That way we can solve world hunger too.
__________________
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 08:25 AM
give them to lesbians!
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #35
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 12:25 AM
I think we're less violent, and in a way more moddy coddling to our kids which in turn makes them more susceptable to violence and depravity. Back through our history fighting happened all the time, there were very few times of peace kigdoms fighting kingdoms, tribes fighting tribes, men grew up to be hunters and warriors, kids saw everything, were not hidden from the violence in their world.

Today we act as if everything is not our fault. If someone molests someone its because they were abused, if someone is violent its because they were abused, if someone steals something its because they are poor cause the man kept em down, and so on.

Our world has just lost its respect for others. We no longer value other people and the roles they have, we have very few kings or queens, and so really there is no one telling us what to do, and although we revel in it 'wooohooo i'll do what i fucking want!' what we really want is someone to tell us what to do, but we have turned away from our politicians, the police, teachers, doctors, the legal system and the church. We're on our own and its a scary place when anarchy is around the corner.
__________________
dazzlingamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingamy View Post
I think we're less violent, and in a way more moddy coddling to our kids which in turn makes them more susceptable to violence and depravity. Back through our history fighting happened all the time, there were very few times of peace kigdoms fighting kingdoms, tribes fighting tribes, men grew up to be hunters and warriors, kids saw everything, were not hidden from the violence in their world.

Today we act as if everything is not our fault. If someone molests someone its because they were abused, if someone is violent its because they were abused, if someone steals something its because they are poor cause the man kept em down, and so on.

Our world has just lost its respect for others. We no longer value other people and the roles they have, we have very few kings or queens, and so really there is no one telling us what to do, and although we revel in it 'wooohooo i'll do what i fucking want!' what we really want is someone to tell us what to do, but we have turned away from our politicians, the police, teachers, doctors, the legal system and the church. We're on our own and its a scary place when anarchy is around the corner.
I don't disagree with what you've said here - but I'd also argue that a healthy disrespect for authority is at times, well, healthy. Indeed, I would trace some of the causes of the financial crisis as being down to too much respect for authority and not listening to the "outsider" voices, who turned out to be, well, basically correct.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #37
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 12:25 AM
thats true, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of being disrespectful to people who help us in life, and therefore the lines between order and chaos getting more and more messy. A little disrespect is healthy, but when we think the police are corrupt, the politicians are corrupt, the teachers are useless, the doctors are useless the legal system doesn't work and the church is all peados, who do we turn to for guidence?
__________________
dazzlingamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingamy View Post
thats true, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of being disrespectful to people who help us in life, and therefore the lines between order and chaos getting more and more messy. A little disrespect is healthy, but when we think the police are corrupt, the politicians are corrupt, the teachers are useless, the doctors are useless the legal system doesn't work and the church is all peados, who do we turn to for guidence?
Quote:
who do we turn to for guidence?
Why do we need to turn to anyone for guidance?

IIRC correctly, you're a teacher, and teachers are among the few authority figures I respect, but also, being a bit of a libertarian anarchist, I would turn the "who do we turn to for guidance?" question on its head.

All of the answers are already within us - as an alternative to respect for authority, I offer the following precepts:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man" - Ayn Rand


"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.There is no law beyond do what thou wilt. Love is the law, love under will." - Aleister Crowley.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #39
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 12:25 AM
I understand what your saying, I just guess I believe society needs to have a common goal and people need to be around for a bit of gentle prodding, or some words of wisdom in times of crisis that sort of thing. Like we all need parents for that extra bit of security. Obviously I don't mean full control and some sort of totalitarism type rule, but just someone who you can place some trust in the common good of their wisdom, a gandalf type figure. LOL
Not sure if im really getting what i'm saying, but am with you on your points!
__________________
dazzlingamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #40
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Maybe we should just eat the unwanted children. That way we can solve world hunger too.
Worked for the Irish!
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 08:25 AM
every sperm is sacred.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #42
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
every sperm is sacred.
Uhh, really? Like how sacred? This could be bad.
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Uhh, really? Like how sacred? This could be bad.


do you mean to tell us you've been aborting your sperm into Kleenexes, athletic socks, and shower drains this whole time!!!
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #44
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Well, two of them went to where God intended, so that's good, right? RIGHT?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Well, two of them went to where God intended, so that's good, right? RIGHT?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!


you've killed the rest.

hence, America is more violent today.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com