In case there was any doubt, Sarah Palin is bat shit crazy. - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #406
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
A male candidate that decided to, for example, splash out on a new sportscar mid-campaign would hardly attract any attention at all.
I seem to recall John Edwards' haircut$ attracting quite a bit of criticism.
__________________

__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #407
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Yeah, sounds like she's been gulping that feminazi Koolaid all right.
Yeah that's not a great example. It takes awhile to surf the net for old stuff. Here are some other examples:

Why aren't women furious about Sarah Palin? | Salon Life

Quote:
I thought, "Damn, a hyperconservative, fuckable, Type A, antiabortion, Christian Stepford wife in a 'sexy librarian' costume -- as a vice president? That's a brilliant stroke of horrifyingly cynical pandering to the Christian right. Karl Rove must be behind it."
Quote:
But, the Republicans seem to be saying, at least we can offer you the hope of putting women back in their place.
Quote:
Sarah Palin and her virtual burqa have me and my friends retching into our handbags. She's such a power-mad, backwater beauty-pageant casualty, it's easy to write her off and make fun of her. But in reality I feel as horrified as a ghetto Jew watching the rise of National Socialism.
On Faith: All Beliefs Welcome, Unless They are Forced on Others - Wendy Doniger

Quote:
Her greatest hypocrisy is in her pretense that she is a woman. The Republican party's cynical calculation that because she has a womb and makes lots and lots of babies (and drives them to school! wow!) she speaks for the women of America, and will capture their hearts and their votes, has driven thousands of real women to take to their computers in outrage. She does not speak for women; she has no sympathy for the problems of other women, particularly working class women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
And the evidence for his being a feminist...?
John Roberts is not a conservative. He's an ex-Muchmusic VJ. Anyways the Republican response corrected him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Um, I don't see how this (from the link) helps your argument?

Again, I don't see how this text helps your argument?
Those articles hint that you have to support liberal social projects to be a true feminist and to be supportive of equal rights for women. There's a difference between equal outcomes and being equal before the law. Liberals like to demand standards of all kinds but don't seem to think on the ability to pay for those standards. Hence some conservative women feel that way but are hardly stepford wives.
__________________

__________________
purpleoscar is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #408
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Really? How many voted for her vs McCain vs the ticket? Now you're trying too little.

I am not singling you out as the enemy.

But, it seems many of Palin's detractors have said she was the reason McCain lost.


I am convinced that she added millions of votes to the ticket.

Romney, Huckabee, Giuliani on the ticket would have seen a much larger Obama margin than just 7 %.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #409
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
But there is always an implication that it's women who are jealous of her. And I don't know how you've come to conclude what rubbed women the wrong way, either.
Since many men compare themselves to men and women to women it's straightforward based on who people would most likely identify with. Men can be jealous of other men but in this example we are talking about Sarah Palin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Every woman I know was offended by the idea of Palin being a heartbeat away from the presidency and NONE of them were offended because she was a) accomplished or b) good looking. In fact, that never even entered the conversation.
Yeah but how many people would admit their envy so easily? Obama is in the presidency and he had less executive experience than Palin. That didn't seem to frighten the left. If it wasn't her lack of experience then what was it?
__________________
purpleoscar is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #410
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,294
Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Yeah but how many people would admit their envy so easily?
Your arguments can be summarized as follows:

First, women hated Sarah Palin because she was accomplished so they were jealous. Then they hated her because she was good looking. Then they hated her because she made a good salary (kind of bizarre seeing as how she doesn't make THAT much money). And now we again hate her because we're envious but we're also unable to admit our envy.

The possibility that we think that she's uninformed, unprepared and intellectually incurious in combination with our dismay that we should overlook these things because she has a 2nd X chromosome like us clearly never entered the realm of possibility for you.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #411
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 05:11 PM
^I hate to break it to you, but we men know you women better than you do.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #412
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,254
Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I am not singling you out as the enemy.

But, it seems many of Palin's detractors have said she was the reason McCain lost.


I am convinced that she added millions of votes to the ticket.

Romney, Huckabee, Giuliani on the ticket would have seen a much larger Obama margin than just 7 %.
She absolutely helped the ticket. GWB did 11 points better than McCain with white men, but he only did 4 points better among white women. I can only attribute that to Palin. It's well-known that Obama did poor with white women.
__________________
2861U2 is online now  
Old 06-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #413
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Your arguments can be summarized as follows:

First, women hated Sarah Palin because she was accomplished so they were jealous. Then they hated her because she was good looking. Then they hated her because she made a good salary (kind of bizarre seeing as how she doesn't make THAT much money). And now we again hate her because we're envious but we're also unable to admit our envy.
Almost correct except I would add that much of that wasn't in any particular order but all at the same time.

Also some of the articles I posted talked about how she's able to "do it all" because she can afford things many women can't. This ties into the idea that real feminists believe in lots of social programs and Sarah Palin isn't a real one because she's too conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The possibility that we think that she's uninformed, unprepared and intellectually incurious in combination with our dismay that we should overlook these things because she has a 2nd X chromosome like us clearly never entered the realm of possibility for you.
Yeah but I saw what she was talking about and I didn't find her incurious, and uninformed as you did. She did have some trouble because she didn't agree with McCain on everything but you could say the same about Biden vs. Obama. She also was nervous in interviews. I agreed with her on:

- Supporting more troops in Afghanistan
- Balanced budgets and tax reform
- Israel
- Drilling for oil in ANWR and increasing nuclear power capacity
- Spending freeze

So when the liberals were attacking her it seemed exagerrated and based on presentation and what consitutes a real woman leader and the clothes she wore.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #414
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
She absolutely helped the ticket. GWB did 11 points better than McCain with white men, but he only did 4 points better among white women. I can only attribute that to Palin. It's well-known that Obama did poor with white women.
Bringing GWB into the conversation just confuses the hell out of all this

McCain/ Palin did not lose the 2008 election so much as GWB did.

Obama constantly campaigned against McCain/ BUSH.

Palin was the anti - Bush, far removed from D C., the outsider.

and she had not wrapped herself around Bush, like Romney and Giuliani did.

GWB would have got a less white male voters than McCain in 2008.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #415
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,337
Local Time: 08:11 AM
It's so funny that the conservative men keep telling the FYM women what's what and how we think and what we thought and how we're thinking now.

Could this be why young people have very little interest in the Republican party right now?

But please, guys, tell me what feminism is, tell me how and why I felt about Palin, make me into a group and then make wild assumptions about that group. It's entertaining as hell and just makes you look even more ridiculous than before.


Oh, and don't forget to look up internet sources that prove I think and fell the way you think I should.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #416
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,254
Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
make me into a group and then make wild assumptions about that group.


Because you never do that, do you martha?
__________________
2861U2 is online now  
Old 06-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #417
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
It's so funny that the conservative men keep telling the FYM women what's what and how we think and what we thought and how we're thinking now.

Could this be why young people have very little interest in the Republican party right now?

But please, guys, tell me what feminism is, tell me how and why I felt about Palin, make me into a group and then make wild assumptions about that group. It's entertaining as hell and just makes you look even more ridiculous than before.


Oh, and don't forget to look up internet sources that prove I think and fell the way you think I should.
It's funny that one or two on FYM think they're representative of all women or the feminist viewpoint in general.

But I needn't be surprised that some of certain type of political outlook were uncomfortable with someone like Palin advancing herself in life in the admirable way she has done. Palin's very existence really does cause a lot of loathing among some liberals.

In fact, no-one has 'told' you how to think about anything, that's a figment of your imagination. What some of us have tried to do is explain the appeal of Sarah Palin to many traditionally minded Americans, and I guess you're uncomfortable with that.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #418
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
She did have some trouble because she didn't agree with McCain on everything but you could say the same about Biden vs. Obama. She also was nervous in interviews. I agreed with her on:

- Supporting more troops in Afghanistan
- Balanced budgets and tax reform
- Israel
- Drilling for oil in ANWR and increasing nuclear power capacity
- Spending freeze

So when the liberals were attacking her it seemed exagerrated and based on presentation and what consitutes a real woman leader and the clothes she wore.
Actually I'd probably disagree with her on most of that. It's the socially conservative stances I tend to somewhat approve of.

It's interesting that it's ok to call Sarah Palin stupid and her constituents white trash hill-billy hicks, but it's not ok to remind people that Saint Barack had no executive experience before taking up the office of POTUS, and earlier in his career seemingly had no more ambition than to become a 'community organiser'.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #419
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:11 AM
But we more or less agree that David Letterman was wrong in insulting Palin-right everyone?
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #420
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,337
Local Time: 08:11 AM
I think he showed extremely poor taste.
__________________

__________________
martha is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
sarah palin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com