'Gone Old Party'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps it's just because I wasn't as politically aware when Clinton was in office, but Newt Gingrich seems to have gone off the deep end in the last few years.

I seem to recall some comment from him a number of years ago where he was trying to argue why women shouldn't be in the military, something about infections and I think he might've been trying to tie it to their "cycles" or something like that (could be wrong on that part of it all, though). 'Cause, you know, Newt would know my body and my abilities better than I would, after all.

Yeah, he's always come off to me as a dipwad.

i know, right? i think they realise they just don't have to try anymore. just spit out complete bullshit like that and you'll get uneducated people heading to the polls in droves going HURP DURP DON'T WANT NO FOOD STAMPS.

Pretty much, but why would they bother trying, really, when stupid comments like that work seem to work for them just fine in the end anyway? I don't know what else we can possibly do to tell people to stop following this insane thought process. Do we have to get a megaphone and scream it from the rooftops or what?

Angela

Perhaps it's just because I wasn't as politically aware when Clinton was in office, but Newt Gingrich seems to have gone off the deep end in the last few years.

He's always been this dangerous and crazy.

What drives me crazy about Newt is that he is smarter than all of that.
He is not dumb or ignorant. Which, if you are smart and still spew the crap that he does (and I agree especially as of late), then you are evil and manipulative.

Oh, the Palins...

6a00d83451c45669e2013488003c82970c-550wi.jpg

6a00d83451c45669e20133f4e05eef970b-550wi.jpg

Looks like Sarah's a little upset that Joe Miller likes to at least think about the endorsements he makes. Poor woman spent "all morning" working on a Facebook post! :sad:

I know this isn't the thread, but I have to ask: Tell me how this works in real life situations. How do you make the exception when abortion is criminalized?

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question, please rephrase.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question, please rephrase.

You don't understand a simple question?

Ok, I'll "rephrase": If indeed you think abortion should be illegal except for cases of rape; how do you decide who gets to abort? What level of proof of rape do you require these women to meet before you allow them to terminate the pregnancy?

Of course, my question assumes you're for criminalizing abortion; it could be that you're just privately pro-life and choose to not interfere in the lives of complete strangers. If so, I retract my question and will leave you alone.

Poor woman spent "all morning" working on a Facebook post! :sad:

And she probably spent more time on that than she did being a governor.

Good god, what, are we in second grade here? "Well, you didn't say enough nice things about Sarah, you didn't endorse her properly, so we're not gonna talk to you now. Nyah, nyah :madspit:!" Sheesh.

Angela

:crazy:

LAS VEGAS — U.S. Senate candidate Sharron Angle told a crowd of supporters that the country needs to address a "militant terrorist situation" that has allowed Islamic religious law to take hold in some American cities.

Her comments came at a rally of tea party supporters in the Nevada resort town of Mesquite last week after the candidate was asked about Muslims angling to take over the country, and marked the latest of several controversial remarks by the Nevada Republican.

In a recording of the rally provided to The Associated Press by the Mesquite Local News, a man is heard asking Angle : "I keep hearing about Muslims wanting to take over the United States ... on a TV program just last night, I saw that they are taking over a city in Michigan and the residents of the city, they want them out. They want them out. So, I want to hear your thoughts about that."

Angle responds that "we're talking about a militant terrorist situation, which I believe it isn't a widespread thing, but it is enough that we need to address, and we have been addressing it."

"My thoughts are these, first of all, Dearborn, Michigan, and Frankford, Texas are on American soil, and under constitutional law. Not Sharia law. And I don't know how that happened in the United States," she said. "It seems to me there is something fundamentally wrong with allowing a foreign system of law to even take hold in any municipality or government situation in our United States."

Dearborn, Mich., has a thriving Muslim community. It was not immediately clear why Angle singled out Frankford, Texas, a former town that was annexed into Dallas around 1975.

Responding to the same question, she also drew comparisons between the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and the Nazi Holocaust. She said the property owners behind the proposed Islamic community center near ground zero should move it in deference to the people who died there.

"There was, in Auschwitz, I think it was Auschwitz, it was at least a prisoner of war camp, where the Catholic Church owned some property and they were going to build a church there. They had every right to do it but they stepped aside and said, no, we are going to allow the Jewish people to make a monument because they lost lives," she said. "They had a responsibility to be sensitive to what had happened there and it is exactly the same thing as 9/11. Ground zero, we have a responsibility to be sensitive to the loss of a nation, to the loss of families, to the loss of life that happened there."

Angle seemed to be referring to a Roman Catholic convent at the Auschwitz death camp that Pope John Paul II ordered moved in 1993 in response to Jewish protests.

Others, including the Anti-Defamation League, the nation's leading Jewish civil rights group, have evoked the relocated convent while voicing opposition to the mosque. But the ADL also has stressed that 9/11 and the Holocaust are separate, incomparable events.

Angle's campaign did not answer questions about her statements.

"I'm pretty sure that she did make it clear that there had been incidents in the news, but there is nothing widespread, and that we have freedom of religion in this country," said spokesman Jarrod Agen in an e-mail.

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Washington-based advocacy group, called Angle's statements "bizarre."

"This seems to be an example of incoherent bigotry. It is pretty clear that she has something against Islam and Muslims but she is so incoherent you don't know what she stands for," Hooper said. "The proper response would have been, 'American Muslims are citizens like anyone else. They are free to practice their faith,' not seeming to agree that Muslims are somehow seeking to take over."

Dearborn Mayor Jack O'Reilly called Angle's comments "shameful." He said tea party groups inaccurately spread the word that his Detroit suburb was ruled by Islamic law after members of an anti-Islam group were arrested at an Arab cultural festival in June because a Christian volunteer complained of harassment.

"She took it as face value and maligned the city of Dearborn and I consider that totally irresponsible," he said. "If she wants to come here, I will take her on a tour. I will show her we follow the Constitution just as well as anyone else."

Angle, a Southern Baptist, has called herself a faith-based politician. Among her positions, she opposes abortion in all circumstances, including rape and incest and doesn't believe the Constitution requires the separation of church and state.

Angle is in a dead-heat race against Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who has also said the community center, which would include a mosque, should be built elsewhere. A recent poll showed Reid and Angle tied in the high-profile campaign.

Reid's campaign said Angle's comments advances its ongoing campaign to portray her as outside mainstream America.

"The fact that Sharron Angle believes American cities have been taken over by militant terrorist organizations that are ruling our citizens under Sharia law shows a terrifying lack of connection with reality and a willingness to subscribe to conspiracy theories that demonstrates she's far too extreme and dangerous to represent Nevada in the U.S. Senate," spokesman Kelly Steele said.

In a recording of the rally provided to The Associated Press by the Mesquite Local News, a man is heard asking Angle : "I keep hearing about Muslims wanting to take over the United States ... on a TV program just last night, I saw that they are taking over a city in Michigan and the residents of the city, they want them out. They want them out. So, I want to hear your thoughts about that."

Dearborn, Mich., has a thriving Muslim community.

So having a thriving community automatically means that that town is now a "militant Islamic state" and the Muslims are "taking over" :huh: :scratch:?

Where the hell did that guy hear that nonsense? I've heard nothing of the sort happening in the U.S. anywhere.

It was not immediately clear why Angle singled out Frankford, Texas, a former town that was annexed into Dallas around 1975.

It's not immediately clear why Angle's saying any of the things she's stated. She clearly doesn't know what the hell she's talking about.

"They had a responsibility to be sensitive to what had happened there and it is exactly the same thing as 9/11. Ground zero, we have a responsibility to be sensitive to the loss of a nation, to the loss of families, to the loss of life that happened there."

The irony of a Republican politician talking about showing respect and sensitivity towards the events of 9/11 and its victims is truly stunning. Really. That takes a hell of a lot of nerve.

Yeah. Wow. That...that is just amazing, that story.

Angela

"It's purely historical interest in World War II."

I seem to recall a certain Jesse James saying something similar.

Rich Iott and his wife, as shown on his campaign website.
Iott, a member of the Ohio Military Reserve, added, "I've always been fascinated by the fact that here was a relatively small country that from a strictly military point of view accomplished incredible things. I mean, they took over most of Europe and Russia, and it really took the combined effort of the free world to defeat them. From a purely historical military point of view, that's incredible."

Yeah. It is incredible. Incredible in how disturbing it is that a small group could gain that much power in such a horrific way.

I fully understand and accept the concept of re-enactments for historical purposes to teach people about the history of certain wars and specific battles and things of that nature. And in those instances, yes, you will have to have people taking on the personas of the "bad" guys as well as the "good" guys. It wouldn't be authentic otherwise. They're actors playing roles in those circumstances. That's fine.

But I have to agree that this does sound a bit...off. If I were a father looking to bond with my son, for instance, I don't think this is the route I'd be taking to do so. And if it's true that this group this guy belongs to has this unsettling romantic notion of what happened in the time of the Nazis, to the point of seemingly almost admiring their might, even if they don't admire their actions otherwise, and getting their facts horribly wrong, that's not good. At all. Add to that that he seems to not be able to separate playing a part from other aspects of his life (the "alter ego" thing), and it does make him look, at the very least, a little on the strange side.

Even if his interest is a totally innocent thing, it involves Nazis. That's a touchy, dangerous subject for society in general. So he shouldn't be surprised that many people out there would be uncomfortable with this.

Angela

There are all kinds of reenactment groups everywhere. My husband rides an old BMW, so he sees these Nazi guys now and then. Any kind of war or historical event has reenactors. Someones's got to be the Confederates, the Nazis, the members of Custer's army. Not everyone gets to be the good guys.

I knew someone who spent a considerable amount of her childhood summers up in Wyoming while her father was a "mountain man" at a big "rendezvous" for mountain man reenactors.

They're all a little weird and obsessed. And usually a LOT fatter than the people they're imitating.

While I haven't really heard of any world war II reenactments, I know theres plenty of civil war enactments. No one cares if someone is a confederate soldier. I still don't see it as a big deal.

You don't find it odd that someone wants to play an SS soldier on the weekend as "fun"?

I think many would find that odd.

Because obviously that's all he does.

While I haven't really heard of any world war II reenactments, I know theres plenty of civil war enactments. No one cares if someone is a confederate soldier. I still don't see it as a big deal.

Because obviously that's all he does.

No, I find Civil War enactments to be very odd as well...

I wonder about the motive, but that's just me personally.

You don't understand how Obamacare takes away Freedom? Really? Never in the history of the United States has the Government forced a citizen to purchase something simply because he or she exists. NEVER. Not to mention that it will turn our health care into a bloated, governmental buearocracy. These people can't even get the post office in the black! Wake up!

You don't understand how Obamacare takes away Freedom? Really? Never in the history of the United States has the Government forced a citizen to purchase something simply because he or she exists. NEVER. Not to mention that it will turn our health care into a bloated, governmental buearocracy. These people can't even get the post office in the black! Wake up!

I've never used the fire department, but I'm pretty sure I've been paying for that my whole life. And I'm glad it's there.

Think Medicare and the VA medical system, not the Postal Service--the analogy doesn't fit. This first attempt at a national health care plan is a far cry from those, but it is a good first step.

Back
Top Bottom