FYM'ers Weigh In - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
What the heck is this premium silver/gold thing anyway? I never even noticed it!

Judas preferred silver (30 pieces)

Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:30 AM
I'm nothing more than a casual fan although I respect them and really like several of their albums. I discovered Interference during a brief, intense flirtation with the band, but I stayed because I liked the offtopic forums, particularly FYM. (I will admit to enjoying some of the arguments in EYKIW). I'll probably get the CD as a gift next month, so will give it a good listen then. Although I'm not a huge fan of U2, I am a huge fan of many U2 fans.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #33
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:30 PM
I've only had maybe a half-dozen listens to the album so far...a couple distracted listens to the MySpace stream to ensure I wanted to buy it (like several others here, I wasn't at all a HTDAAB fan), then 3 or 4 listens since buying the CD. I'm really, really enjoying it. It's very much its own album in mood and style, but for me it unmistakably has that monumental presence I've always loved about U2, and which I just didn't hear much of on the last 2 or 3 albums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
There's only one as far as I'm concerned. I don't really care for Stand Up Comedy.
That's the most awkward one for me as well (and is anyone else weirdly reminded of Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin by it? ). It's an OK song IMO, but the lyric has a throwaway feel to me; it might work in some other lineup, but as it is, it seems kinda pointless with reference to the thematic flow of the rest of the album, so far as I can determine that. Personally, I'm not too fond of I'll Go Crazy either--it tries hard, I'll grant it that, but I was left unconvinced there's a really great song in there--but at least that one seems to tie in somewhat with Boots (which I like; it's nothing deep obviously, but fun, in a restlessly, nervily dreamy kind of way). The closing quartet of songs is gorgeous, and I love the first two as well. I'm not as wild about MoS and Unknown Caller as many others seem to be--I find the former 'nice' but bland in a way too many ATYCLB songs were IMO, and the latter fun but a bit too clever for its own good--but still, they're fine; there's nothing eminently dislikeable about them for me. Really, there's not a single song on here I actively dislike, which is great. I think several of these songs are gonna be fantastic live, wish I could see that.

I agree there's a lot of 'spiritual' material here, albeit all in a familiarly U2 sort of way...redemption through love, redemption through hope, redemption through transforming toil into praise, etc. Even though I'm not highly fond of it, I think Unknown Caller seems to hint at an intriguing notion that grace is in a sense comically, existentially absurd as much as it is powerful and transformative. And I love the fact that much like AB, which I suspect will always remain my favorite U2 album, NLOTH ends not with some feelgood blaze of hope'n'joy but with (in this case) the wryly melancholy insights of someone who's managed to survive, but nonetheless missed all his best shots at redemption: that even in hell on earth, with no relief in sight, sometimes you can still stay centered and keep moving forward if you 'choose your enemies carefully 'cos they will define you...they're not there in the beginning but when your story ends/gonna last with you longer than your friends.'

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:30 AM
i'm an FYMer on a break (mostly) and a great big fan who loves NLOTH, and who tremendously enjoyed the previous two albums, for very different reasons. i loved ATYCLB becasue i found it warm and welcoming at a time in my life when i needed it, and i loved Bomb because i found it adrenalized and thrilling, though both work better as (and are intended as) collections of singles.

NLOTH is clearly the most accomplished album of the past three.

unlike others, i'm a pretty ardent supporter of "crazy tonight" (despite the title which makes me seeth with anger), and if you don't like it on the album, check out the Letterman performance. it's pretty special.

love the title track. i like "magnificent" but not as much as the rest in here. i think MOS is their most purely beautiful and perhaps most despairing track ever. UC is interesting, but i don't quite think it works. love "crazy." kind of meh on boots. i'm also a defender of SUC because i think it's incredibly well constructed and i actually think a lot of the lyrics actually work well with a song that sounds like it's bouncing around a room like a rubber ball in a racquetball court. "fez" is among my favorties on the album. i think "WAS" is good but not quite great, there's something that doesn't quite cohere and it's less than the sum of it's quite lovely parts. "breathe" is good on the album, it's a killer live. and COL is interesting and artistic and actually does have something to say, and it says it pretty well.

so i love the album, couldn't be happier, and what's even better is how well these songs are coming across live.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:46 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post

(and is anyone else weirdly reminded of Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin by it? ).
We'll I don't know about that, but all I can hear is a Christian artist by the name of Michael W. Smith. It's very disconcerting. Seriously, do a youtube search of one of his songs--say "I Still Have the Dream". (But, Irvine, I suggest you don't do it. I don't want to ruin the song for you).

As I said in one of those appreciation threads it doesn't really bother me that much--I like Smith well enough as cheesy as he can be. But it feels odd coming from U2. I don't hate the song though. . .don't skip it or anything, but it's not my favorite.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. It's really interesting to hear what you all think.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
Although I'm not a huge fan of U2, I am a huge fan of many U2 fans.
Maybe that's why we get along-opposites I'm a huge fan of you though.

Whatever "huge" is, I'm still a fan of U2's music but of the (at times schlocky) hype surrounding them, some of which is due to the music industry being the way it is and some... I'll just say other..no. As for fans there are good apples and bad apples. Good experiences and bad, I've had and seen both. Sometimes the bad has influenced my interest in U2 in a negative way, but you just have to filter it out and enjoy them in a solitary way on your own terms.

I think life changes your fandom, getting older and all that and having other priorities and values. I guess I just don't have the patience and/or inclination for much of it.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 01:30 PM
I bought NLOTH yesterday. And being one of the older folks, here at Interference. I like the new album. I can put it on my stereo and let it play, through. I don't have to jump around songs. I like the moodiness of the music and dark reflections of thought. It reminds me of Lou Reed.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
(But, Irvine, I suggest you don't do it. I don't want to ruin the song for you).

i'm totally fine with the religion of the band, and Bono in particular, and i like much of the coded but clear biblical references and slippery wordplay when it comes to addressing big theological concerns. i've always liked that about them.

i just get queasy when, 1) conservative Christians think that Bono is Really One Of Them, and 2) every lyric by the band is intended to be a statement of praise and worship. that Baptist review that someone posted in another thread was a good example of that. it was a well-argued and thought-out review, no question, but i think it started from several incorrect base assumptions, that we need to "get on our boots" and worship God so that we can remove the "line on the horizon" between heaven and earth. that, to me, was just a bit too much. what makes Bono credible, and interesting, imho, is how much doubt and humility is there in the face of the big questions, and his lack of certainty and his continual crisis of faith.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #39
Refugee

Irvine,

when you say
Quote:
conservative Christians think that Bono is Really One Of Them
I think the key here is that, I'm sure most conservative, and liberal, and well whatever kind of Christians think he is one of them.

And I'm pretty sure that he is.

At least if you believe he is the messiah.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

i totally understand that, it's just when i hear things about how, since Bono believes in the divinity of Jesus Christ, then that means that Bono also believes that the Hindus are going to Hell ... that is not Bono at all. it's the difference between pointing out a commonality between yourself and Bono, and the assumption that because you have this point in common, therefore, Bono must logically believe everything else that you believe.

that's all.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

that we need to "get on our boots" and worship God so that we can remove the "line on the horizon" between heaven and earth.
Wow. To a German reporter, asking who should get on their boots, Bono replied the song was about a family that was on vacation in Baghdad when the war broke out. And instead of getting panicky and trying to get the hell out of there the husband could only focus on the beauty of his wife.
Here is the interview if anyone is interested. The first minutes are in German, but the interview itself isn't dubbed: Exklusiv: U2 im aspekte-Interview

Over time I've gotten behind more and more spiritual references, some more obvious, others less, but it never changed my love for the music.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #42
Forum Moderator

^ Yeah, I wasn't sharp enough to catch distinctly Iraq references if they're in there, but it did seem immediately obvious to me that the song is about the advent of something like that. Which is why Crazy, coming just before it, ultimately works for me even though I'm not very keen on it musically--to me Crazy is the moment where you respond to the onslaught by joining hands and charging in-your-face upward and outward against it together, Boots is the moment where you decide that now's not a time for fighting back, but for huddling together to dream it all up again in preparation for the next round. But I can see where for some that also lends itself to an onward-Christian-soldiers, evangelizing interpretation, even though I don't personally think that's at all the 'crusade' Bono had in mind.
Quote:
We'll I don't know about that, but all I can hear is a Christian artist by the name of Michael W. Smith. It's very disconcerting. Seriously, do a youtube search of one of his songs--say "I Still Have the Dream".
Right, I can hear that too, in terms of the overall genre type the song seems to belong to. The Sly Stone reference was more of a gestalt thing pertaining to the flow of the song, the to me rather '70s-ish way in which the "Stand up!s" soar over the thick, heavy, funky main riff. Something like the way several critics heard Dylan's slap-happily frenzied declaiming on 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' in Boots, and I can totally see that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
I like the moodiness of the music and dark reflections of thought. It reminds me of Lou Reed.
Not sure if this is true for you or not, but Reed is another one of my favorite artists, I think ultimately for a similar reason--the monumental presence, the almost overwhelming force of personality that seems to fill the room when you put on one of his records.
Quote:
i just get queasy when, 1) conservative Christians think that Bono is Really One Of Them, and 2) every lyric by the band is intended to be a statement of praise and worship...what makes Bono credible, and interesting, imho, is how much doubt and humility is there in the face of the big questions, and his lack of certainty and his continual crisis of faith.
I basically share the same grievance, but at the same time I can understand the impulse towards that kind of interpretation. It becomes a way of turning the act of listening and taking it in into a spiritual exercise. Maybe in something like the way certain ultracerebral lit-crit writers--Kristeva or Irigaray, say--go at any and every text they analyze so rigorously that at times you find yourself thinking, Oh for God's sake, can't you just enjoy the freaking narrative for once, all the richness and tension and human contradiction that's already right there on the surface, and stop soaring off into the ether with your relentless babble about dis-semination and intertextuality and signifiers just for once. But ultimately it's not that they're immune to that level of beauty, it's just that they're seizing the act of reading as an opportunity for meditation on the ideas they've really devoted their lives to, their Muse in a sense.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I still wasn't sharp enough to get that reference, only since I saw the interview I knew that he was trying to say that.
But I'm a person who never really dives into the lyrics of songs, and hence often couldn't tell another person what this song was about. And I don't care.

Crazy to me is not a favorite. It sounds a little like an old German "schlager", which is really simple music. But it's an okay song.
So far I've listened to the album from the first to the last, and often right from the beginning again, maybe twenty times, maybe more, and I've never felt the need to skip a song. That's a nice thing, but it's also something I've experienced with every U2 album. It certainly has a nice flow.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
--Kristeva or Irigaray, say--

you just made the little undergraduate's heart that still beats in my chest go pitter-patter.

oh, Kristeva ...
Old 03-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:30 PM
Quote:
i totally understand that, it's just when i hear things about how, since Bono believes in the divinity of Jesus Christ, then that means that Bono also believes that the Hindus are going to Hell ... that is not Bono at all. it's the difference between pointing out a commonality between yourself and Bono, and the assumption that because you have this point in common, therefore, Bono must logically believe everything else that you believe.

that's all.
Quote:
Jesus Christ
I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
I wouldn't listen to a band that embraced a narrow interpretation of that.