Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Forget MLK's Dream: It Seems We Can't Throw Our Crayons Away

RealClearPolitics - Video - Carter Claims There Is "Racist" Tone Against Obama

Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:19 AM
I don't have audio at my office

but it is blatantly obvious that there is a strong under current of racism in many of the Obama detractors

Old 09-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:19 PM

Do you not believe racism to be alive and well?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I don't have audio at my office

but it is blatantly obvious that there is a strong under current of racism in many of the Obama detractors
The only thing different between Glen Beck and his ilk is they no longer have to wear the white hoods. Unfortunately, they have TV.
I'm not sure Beck and others have the sense to even know what they are perpetrating. Or maybe they do.
President Obama is in danger from one/many of the original home grown terrorist groups.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
She's the One

It's funny how conservative white men are the first to reference Dr. King to show how racist they aren't.

Especially to backhandedly defend those who are obviously and proudly racist.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:19 PM
In general, it’s a very sheltered stupidity. You couldn’t develop either that worldview, or such a susceptibility to the utterly outlandish stuff from people like Beck, without being in possession of a great level of ignorance that could only come from living a very, very sheltered existence. These people all seem super scared of everything/anything isn’t “them” or where they’re from, even within their own country, probably even within their own area. And you couldn’t get your message so wrong and confused on so many levels without being flat out stupid. Like the woman at the town hall meeting who screamed “Nazi!” at the gay Jew who serves under the mixed race President, sorry, but you’re just fucking stupid, nothing more. 98% of that side of the argument is really not worth any comment or counter-argument because it’s just so utterly… crazy. They may as well be out there claiming Obama is an alien (and I don’t mean from Mexico). Like Beck spinning Obama’s community service stuff into a charge about a civilian thug army that’s going to start knocking on doors and rounding up… I’m not sure who, he never said, it’s just utter lunacy.

But there seems to be a hell of a lot of these people, so what do you do? And yeah, the racism factor is massive, but I think it’s less the all-out “I hate/look down own X people” type and more just wrapped up in that sheltered stupidity and sheltered fear of the “other”.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
In general, it’s a very sheltered stupidity. You couldn’t develop either that worldview, or such a susceptibility to the utterly outlandish stuff from people like Beck, without being in possession of a great level of ignorance that could only come from living a very, very sheltered existence.
I know that's true, because I had a lifelong, her's, friend tell me after the election, that her church was saying Obama was the antichrist. Problem is her life hasn't been sheltered. But she has been indoctrinated against African Americans from birth. Nothing I said made her think otherwise.

Quote:
But there seems to be a hell of a lot of these people, so what do you do? And yeah, the racism factor is massive, but I think it’s less the all-out “I hate/look down own X people” type and more just wrapped up in that sheltered stupidity and sheltered fear of the “other”.
I don't know what to do anymore, except what I do. Which is call them on their owm bigotry. It is still massive.
My main concern is these people(s) who can be so easily be led. I want to just shake them.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue4u2 View Post
I know that's true, because I had a lifelong, her's, friend tell me after the election, that her church was saying Obama was the antichrist. Problem is her life hasn't been sheltered. But she has been indoctrinated against African Americans from birth. Nothing I said made her think otherwise.

I don't know what to do anymore, except what I do. Which is call them on their owm bigotry. It is still massive.
My main concern is these people(s) who can be so easily be led. I want to just shake them.
I think there's something still very sheltered in those who cannot walk away from their own very strong viewpoints to consider another side for just a minute, like this church goer you mentioned. People who can't expand their horizons to examine other arguments and points of view are ignorant, and as a result, sheltered. I share your concerns on those who are so easily manipulated and led to one belief. It's as frustrating as those who think there are only two viewpoints and if you don't share theirs, then you must automatically think/believe the contrary. Maybe in black and white land (excuse the pun), but not over here in reality.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
It's funny how conservative white men are the first to reference Dr. King to show how racist they aren't.
This poster's threads on race are extremely disturbing to me. But it's really hard to tell if it's just so ingrained in his culture that he doesn't recogize it as racism, or if it's just a covering of his own eyes choosing not to see it. I guess that's a thin line sometimes.

I truly wish he would comment sometimes, especially in his own threads.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 03:19 PM
anytime race is brought up is racism.

think about THAT.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
anytime race is brought up is racism.

think about THAT.
I did. And I disagree.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Especially to backhandedly defend those who are obviously and proudly racist.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Quote:
I did. And I disagree.
well if you look at the word racism, it kind of is.

race - a classification of humans baised on certain physical traits
ism - a distinctive doctrine, system, or theory

anytime you bring up race in an issue, it is racism. even if it is harmless discussion. it's not wearing a white hood and calling people names, but if you look at the word, it is still racism, just not racism in the negative way that we usually associate the word.

same with the word racist. we love to call people that in a negative way all the time. but if you look at the language and break down the word, racist means anyone who uses race in an issue, not just in a negative way. you say "Obama is our 1st black president." totally harmless statement, but you are using race in that statement. therefore, technically speaking you are being a racist.

You are ALL racists!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
WCF
The Fly

Sure, there are those radical white supremacists sprinkled around the country. But the race card is definitely being overplayed. First, Glenn Beck accuses Obama of hating white people and now Carter accuses Republicans in general of having "undertones of racism?" This is ridiculous how people just jump to conclusions like that. Apparently, it's a rule now that whenever we disagree with someone of a different race, we must be racist.

Honestly, I'd bet half the reason why racism is still so alive today is because people are so quick to accuse each other of it. It is REALLY juvenile. Grow up. This is what kids at my school did whenever they got bad grades; the teacher just HAD to be a racist.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCF View Post
and now Carter accuses Republicans in general of having "undertones of racism?"
That is not what he said at all, listen again.

Do you honestly think there is not a sizable portion of the teabag crowd that are racists?