Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:40 PM

Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:40 PM
This whole incident has been really bizarre. When I started this thread on the 14th it had been reverberating in my head for a couple of days.

When I first heard about it, and listened to her, I got so agitated I just had to walk away.

For me, the N-word, nigger, is not the real issue. Most likely that is why this story stayed alive and did not fade away.

If she had said N-word, in place of nigger, 11 times, I still would have found her tone, and the direction she chose to take the conversation to be 100% bigoted.

The sad thing is, that it would have never even made a ripple.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #48
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
For me, the N-word, nigger, is not the real issue. Most likely that is why this story stayed alive and did not fade away.

If she had said N-word, in place of nigger, 11 times, I still would have found her tone, and the direction she chose to take the conversation to be 100% bigoted.

The sad thing is, that it would have never even made a ripple.
I totally agree with this. I've heard the audio bleeped and unbleeped, and her tone is amazingly condescending and rude.

BTW--I didn't know DEEP is a lip-reader.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

you can listen live to her here

The New Home Of Dr. Laura - KFWB NEWS TALK 980

I am sure her callers will pleading

and she will be the victim of vicious hate groups

she just said she will be on TV, Anderson Cooper later today

she is so courageous, a modern day Joan of Arc?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I'm going to ask an honest question because now I'm perplexed, do you really not know that "nigger" is a deragatory word?

AchtungBono can speak for herself, but in my experience, many non-Americans don't have the same historical grasp of the word that we do. i had to explain to a perfectly nice Danish person why Negro wasn't appropriate -- as it is appropriate when used in Danish, but the direct translation isn't appropriate.

but, as i've said before, n*gger is probably the most offensive word in American English.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #51
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
I just wanted to know what was so offensive by her using the derivative term for Negro that's all.
The problem is that you had to ask.

But I'm sure FOX news will tell you that it's not a bad word.

And you'll believe them.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
she is so courageous, a modern day Joan of Arc?

some people just hate outspoken conservative women.

they're the real bigots.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
AchtungBono can speak for herself, but in my experience, many non-Americans don't have the same historical grasp of the word that we do. i had to explain to a perfectly nice Danish person why Negro wasn't appropriate -- as it is appropriate when used in Danish, but the direct translation isn't appropriate.

but, as i've said before, n*gger is probably the most offensive word in American English.
I don't think it is unreasonable that people in other countries don't get the full extent of the N-word. Especially seeing it used matter of fact like in popular songs and films.

As for most offensive word. C U Next Tuesday is right up at the top of the list, too.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #54
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 06:40 AM
Quote:
I don't think it is unreasonable that people in other countries don't get the full extent of the N-word. Especially seeing it used matter of fact like in popular songs and films.

As for most offensive word. C U Next Tuesday is right up at the top of the list, too.
Actually, I don't see why it is so unreasonable. Here in Holland we use the direct translation of the N word as a normal word to talk about a black person, just like a french/spanish/italian person would be called a mediterranean and a caucasian person would be called white. There's no place on the planet where the word has such an incredible inpact as the United States. It's ofcourse explainable in historic view, the slavery and such, though one could argue that my country wasn't clean on that at all it still had less of an impact here.

I do get that the word has such a huge impact, but when I was younger I didn't. I have been guilty of using it accidentally on here while typing, and someone pointed out to me that it was wrong. I honestly did not know.

For the record, I have never heard of wop nor kike.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #55
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I can understand not understanding why "negro" is not appropriate, but I have a hard time understanding how one can understand "wop" and "kike" are derogatory, but not nigger? Especially one that watches so much US television.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Yes. It's a fallacy to presume that what language offends Americans is readily offensive to everyone else, especially when you're dealing with people from non-English speaking nations. A courteous explanation does usually suffice, though; most of us--Dr. Laura aside--really don't wish to offend that easily.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I can understand not understanding why "negro" is not appropriate, but I have a hard time understanding how one can understand "wop" and "kike" are derogatory, but not nigger? Especially one that watches so much US television.
How often do you hear it on U.S. television? I really don't. You'll understandably get the FCC on your ass if you air that on your network.

Much of the "crap" aspect of American television doesn't really export well either. If I want my trash talk show fix, I find I generally have to watch it from Buffalo, NY not Toronto, for instance.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #58
She's the One

Perhaps I over-reacted, but given the poster's history, I may have been warranted.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
How often do you hear it on U.S. television? I really don't. You'll understandably get the FCC on your ass if you air that on your network.

Much of the "crap" aspect of American television doesn't really export well either. If I want my trash talk show fix, I find I generally have to watch it from Buffalo, NY not Toronto, for instance.
She worships O'reilly and he's discussed American race issues quite a bit, so I would think there would at least be some small understanding, at least some concept of "the N word", especially if she knew "wop" which I believe is mostly North American as well.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #60
Refugee

Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Perhaps I over-reacted, but given the poster's history, I may have been warranted.
You seem to insinuate that I'm a problematic poster - I'm sorry you feel this way.
My posts reflect my personal opinions and I will never shy away from expressing them - that's what this board is all about.