don't marry outside of your race - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 11:40 PM
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:40 PM
This whole incident has been really bizarre. When I started this thread on the 14th it had been reverberating in my head for a couple of days.

When I first heard about it, and listened to her, I got so agitated I just had to walk away.

For me, the N-word, nigger, is not the real issue. Most likely that is why this story stayed alive and did not fade away.

If she had said N-word, in place of nigger, 11 times, I still would have found her tone, and the direction she chose to take the conversation to be 100% bigoted.

The sad thing is, that it would have never even made a ripple.
__________________

__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #48
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
For me, the N-word, nigger, is not the real issue. Most likely that is why this story stayed alive and did not fade away.

If she had said N-word, in place of nigger, 11 times, I still would have found her tone, and the direction she chose to take the conversation to be 100% bigoted.

The sad thing is, that it would have never even made a ripple.
I totally agree with this. I've heard the audio bleeped and unbleeped, and her tone is amazingly condescending and rude.




BTW--I didn't know DEEP is a lip-reader.
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:40 PM
you can listen live to her here

The New Home Of Dr. Laura - KFWB NEWS TALK 980

I am sure her callers will pleading

and she will be the victim of vicious hate groups

she just said she will be on TV, Anderson Cooper later today



she is so courageous, a modern day Joan of Arc?
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,497
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I'm going to ask an honest question because now I'm perplexed, do you really not know that "nigger" is a deragatory word?


AchtungBono can speak for herself, but in my experience, many non-Americans don't have the same historical grasp of the word that we do. i had to explain to a perfectly nice Danish person why Negro wasn't appropriate -- as it is appropriate when used in Danish, but the direct translation isn't appropriate.

but, as i've said before, n*gger is probably the most offensive word in American English.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #51
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,337
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
I just wanted to know what was so offensive by her using the derivative term for Negro that's all.
The problem is that you had to ask.

But I'm sure FOX news will tell you that it's not a bad word.


And you'll believe them.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,497
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
she is so courageous, a modern day Joan of Arc?

some people just hate outspoken conservative women.

they're the real bigots.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
AchtungBono can speak for herself, but in my experience, many non-Americans don't have the same historical grasp of the word that we do. i had to explain to a perfectly nice Danish person why Negro wasn't appropriate -- as it is appropriate when used in Danish, but the direct translation isn't appropriate.

but, as i've said before, n*gger is probably the most offensive word in American English.
I don't think it is unreasonable that people in other countries don't get the full extent of the N-word. Especially seeing it used matter of fact like in popular songs and films.

As for most offensive word. C U Next Tuesday is right up at the top of the list, too.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #54
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I don't think it is unreasonable that people in other countries don't get the full extent of the N-word. Especially seeing it used matter of fact like in popular songs and films.

As for most offensive word. C U Next Tuesday is right up at the top of the list, too.
Actually, I don't see why it is so unreasonable. Here in Holland we use the direct translation of the N word as a normal word to talk about a black person, just like a french/spanish/italian person would be called a mediterranean and a caucasian person would be called white. There's no place on the planet where the word has such an incredible inpact as the United States. It's ofcourse explainable in historic view, the slavery and such, though one could argue that my country wasn't clean on that at all it still had less of an impact here.

I do get that the word has such a huge impact, but when I was younger I didn't. I have been guilty of using it accidentally on here while typing, and someone pointed out to me that it was wrong. I honestly did not know.




For the record, I have never heard of wop nor kike.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #55
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
AchtungBono can speak for herself, but in my experience, many non-Americans don't have the same historical grasp of the word that we do. i had to explain to a perfectly nice Danish person why Negro wasn't appropriate -- as it is appropriate when used in Danish, but the direct translation isn't appropriate.

but, as i've said before, n*gger is probably the most offensive word in American English.
I can understand not understanding why "negro" is not appropriate, but I have a hard time understanding how one can understand "wop" and "kike" are derogatory, but not nigger? Especially one that watches so much US television.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
AchtungBono can speak for herself, but in my experience, many non-Americans don't have the same historical grasp of the word that we do. i had to explain to a perfectly nice Danish person why Negro wasn't appropriate -- as it is appropriate when used in Danish, but the direct translation isn't appropriate.

but, as i've said before, n*gger is probably the most offensive word in American English.
Yes. It's a fallacy to presume that what language offends Americans is readily offensive to everyone else, especially when you're dealing with people from non-English speaking nations. A courteous explanation does usually suffice, though; most of us--Dr. Laura aside--really don't wish to offend that easily.
__________________
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I can understand not understanding why "negro" is not appropriate, but I have a hard time understanding how one can understand "wop" and "kike" are derogatory, but not nigger? Especially one that watches so much US television.
How often do you hear it on U.S. television? I really don't. You'll understandably get the FCC on your ass if you air that on your network.

Much of the "crap" aspect of American television doesn't really export well either. If I want my trash talk show fix, I find I generally have to watch it from Buffalo, NY not Toronto, for instance.
__________________
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #58
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,337
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Perhaps I over-reacted, but given the poster's history, I may have been warranted.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
How often do you hear it on U.S. television? I really don't. You'll understandably get the FCC on your ass if you air that on your network.

Much of the "crap" aspect of American television doesn't really export well either. If I want my trash talk show fix, I find I generally have to watch it from Buffalo, NY not Toronto, for instance.
She worships O'reilly and he's discussed American race issues quite a bit, so I would think there would at least be some small understanding, at least some concept of "the N word", especially if she knew "wop" which I believe is mostly North American as well.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #60
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel
Posts: 1,300
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Perhaps I over-reacted, but given the poster's history, I may have been warranted.
You seem to insinuate that I'm a problematic poster - I'm sorry you feel this way.
My posts reflect my personal opinions and I will never shy away from expressing them - that's what this board is all about.
__________________

__________________
AchtungBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com