Bizarre kids names?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
I'm an A-leesh-a, but growing up I had A-LISH-uh, which I hated. I had a Colombian piano teacher who asked if he could call me A-lee-cee-ah because it was easier for him to pronounce.

I went to school with a girl who's name was spelled the same way, but pronounced like Alyssa. I refrained from telling her that her parents spelled her name wrong. :wink:

"You don't even know how to pronounce my name. It's Ack-med not Ahmed."

That's for any '24' Season 6 fans out there. You'll understand the reference. Thank God more people don't go joining terror organizations over name mispronounciations.:huh:

indra said:
I have a method for dealing with names I can't pronounce (or for when I don't quite know what to call someone). When I want to talk to someone I either start with "um," "excuse me," or I make a little throat-clearing sound. Just about everyone will look at me with a questioning look on his/her face, and then I just start in on what I have to say. I doubt most people even notice. Sometimes I've gone years without saying anyone's name when I talk to people. :)

Now that I think of it, I did something similar with emails to at least one person. I was a bit wigged out about calling him by his name, even in emails, so I would always start my emails to him with a hi or a hiya, but never with his name. I did that for almost two years before I started to use his name. Ok, so I'm weird. :uhoh:

I do that too. Mostly because I forget people's names, or didn't know them in the first place. I don't think I've ever called my inlaws by their names.

bonosgirl84 said:

anyway. i considered naming my daughter sky blue. the night she was born, my best friend called me from the chelsea hotel (she was supposed to help coach me through labor but my daughter came almost three weeks early and she missed it)

i named my daughter chelsea, after the hotel.

amazingly enough, she is thirteen now and wishes i had named her sky blue.

I like Sky a lot. I like how it sounds even without a reference to the sky.

My little sister, had she been a boy, would have been named 'Skylar' which would have been spelled Schuilar (I think) since it's a Dutch name. Since she turned out to be a girl, my mom now regrets not naming my brother this (she had an ultrasound and knew it was a boy).

She ended up being named Laina Renee after my great-grandmothers Lena (pronounced lay-nah) and Renette. I guess after me they saw how much easier it would be to spell the kid's name phonetically.

I thought of another name I love, but maybe it's too old fashioned? Louisa.

cinnaminson said:
I also hate it when people are "creative" with the spelling of names. It just makes them seem as though they're fools who can't spell properly.:mad:

Heck, *everyone* I know is doing that!:huh:

BonoManiac said:

"You don't even know how to pronounce my name. It's Ack-med not Ahmed."

One of coolest quotes from any series of 24. I almost burst out laughing. That said it must indeed be frustrating for people who have their name mispronounced so often.

bonosgirl84 said:

really.

what about single mothers?

Arrr, ok.
There are nearly always two parties involved in giving names.

Hope no one will blame me for not considering the increasing number of single mothers.

:wink:

Even if there isn't a second one, namely a father, being a single mother is no excuse for giving your kid a ridiculous name.

I have a funny name story, but it can't really be blamed on the parents involved. My dad used to do construction work, and one time he was building some cabinets for a guy whose last name was Farter (seriously). That would be bad enough for any little kid growing up, but what made it worse was his wife's name was Gustava... I really don't think I would have taken my husband's last name if that had been me.:yikes:

My sister is a teacher, so she encounters a lot of strange kid names. The one that sticks out the most is Feather. Someone actually named their child Feather. Mainly, my sister just complains that there are way to many girls named Kayla.

I went to school with a kid named Casanova Zigfield Nurse.

during my teaching rounds i was amazed and amused by the shithouse spelling of normal or "boring" names to make them more exotic. Jaiyne, or peatahr anyone?

Then there were the olden day names coming back for some reason like rose, edmund, iris, bert etc (i like most of them actually)

But I came across the worst name fo a child channayliynnlee (chan NAY li EN lee) I mean not only did it take her 5 months to learn how to spell her name, but it never gets written properly, doesn't fit on the page, her parents don't like nicknames so you have to shay the whole name and its just. :huh: :huh:

A state by state map in the newspaper here last week shows our entire country losing all imagination in naming children. If it's a girl-it's Emily or Emma, if a boy-Michael by a long shot and then Joshua. Well, at least these are historically first names, and sans affected spelling-not Em-ill-ee, etc

My husband wanted to name one of our girls Aubrey. I wanted to name a boy Tristan, but I ended up with 2 girls...

anyways... there were two teachers at my kids school who's names were Mrs. Seppi and Ms. Uri. The kids all thought it was pretty funny.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I also love Irish names like Aislinn and some others I have heard.

Most of the folk in our family have Irish names. My uncle has just had his sixth baby and he's looking for a name that someone doesn't already have - they never repeat names on either side of the family - and is Irish. They were sticking to Oonagh even though everyone wanted him to pick another name they have on their list. It was his 6 year old who changed their minds. He is opposed to it because "it rhymes with tuna" :lol:

One name I can't stand is Damien. :reject: I've never liked the way it sounds, and I can't meet a person named Damien and not think of The Omen *shudder*. I'd probably refuse to babysit a kid named Damien (or Lucifer).

If my missus gave birth to a bloke, i'd be hoping that she'd be liking the name Oliver...i reckon's it's cool. I'd love to call me kid Olly.

One name I cannot stand....Caleb. Looks like Cabbage and just sounds wrong.

oliver is the best name. our last was a girl instead, so she was olivia. pity it's so popular.

i love strange names for boys. i want angus for a boy, but we had a dog called angus, and that is sounding too strange already.

I'm known for my love of the name Vladimir, to the point that it was my nickname in grade eight.

I doubt I'll ever meet a woman who'd be happy for me to inflict Vladimir onto a son though. Not sure I'd be quite willing to do that either ... so I just named a fish Vladimir instead.

Axver said:

I doubt I'll ever meet a woman who'd be happy for me to inflict Vladimir onto a son though. Not sure I'd be quite willing to do that either ... so I just named a fish Vladimir instead.

Do you really want your son to be forever referred to as Vlad the Impaler? :wink:

Might work if he gets into fencing or something..:D

dazzlingamy said:

I mean not only did it take her 5 months to learn how to spell her name

Now that's what I think is one of the most important things for parents to think about when picking their kid's name. When you start school and learn to write, one of the first things you're asked to do is write your name. So how unfair is it on your child if everyone else in their class have names that are just 6 letters or less long while they're stuck with something that's about 15 letters or more long?!

MrsSpringsteen said:
Do you really want your son to be forever referred to as Vlad the Impaler? :wink:

Might work if he gets into fencing or something..:D

:lol:

I'd rather be referred to as Vlad the Impaler than André the Seal, which is what I got stuck with in primary school for a couple of years. Curse that movie! :mad:

I don't mind weird names if they sound nice and make sence!

I can't stand it when people also purposely match up names to their last names eg: Remington Steele or Opportunity Knox

I can't stand it when people register and spell their childs name phonetically so it can be easier for the kids to write their own name eg: Jesika, Jon, Moneek ( i saw this once on a form and i thought it was a clerical mistake.....having a "Monique" of my own....i thought this do-do does not know how to spell so i changed it....turns out that it was the childs name!)

Also hate it when people name their kids (middle or first names) after the places they conceived the child.....and a work colleague really did this......named her child (middle name) Antartica! (she said to me what else were you to do!) I laughed i thought to my self....yeah....Mine would be Monique "Got really drunk at a friends house on New Years Eve" !.....or Reece "On the sofa"

cinnaminson said:
Hooray,it worked!! I just figured out how to put a quote in..... Yes, I am a computer spaz:confused:

I still am a computer "spaz." As soon as someone starts talking to me abour processor systems or whatever I'm lost. I hate the bloody things....

Vladmir is a cool name, I've always thought Boris was pretty cool too.

Back
Top Bottom