Bizarre kids names? - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2007, 02:58 AM   #181
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
I went to college with a girl named Unida Mann.

Under normal circumstances, I'd suspect anyone who posted that of being a liar, but you seem to be a trustworthy sort of person, so I'll take your word for it and just laugh and feel sorry for that poor girl.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #182
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Under normal circumstances, I'd suspect anyone who posted that of being a liar, but you seem to be a trustworthy sort of person, so I'll take your word for it and just laugh and feel sorry for that poor girl.
I thought people might think I was making that up, but I promise I am not.

I'm not sure what prompted the parents to do such a thing.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:41 AM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
[B but in most cases--and I'm guessing it's likely the same on Chuuk?--the parents likely held little or no associations with the word, phrase or name in its 'original' context.

[/B]
I think the parents know the context as the people in Chuuk seemed to be VERY aware of Western pop culture (although the extent to which pop culture reflects actual life in the West they weren't so clear on. Many people assumed that I, as a black man, played basketball in the NBA, was a gangster, and knew how to rap and dance. I'm not exaggerating). I think in Chuuk's case it was not knowing the associations of the name. I think (and I'm just speculating here) that it might be that the norms for naming a child are just different in Chuuk. Perhaps a parent liked Al Pacino movies and so it seemed logical to so name their child. Or they liked "Ice Ice Baby" and there were no cultural contstraints to naming the child that way.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #184
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:49 PM
Ha, the first time I was in India (caveat: this was 15 years ago) I ventured out once with some fellow homesick American students to what was at the time the only place in town which passed for a Western-style 'nightclub' (and as such, was widely perceived as sleazy by locals despite being located in a very posh hotel) and all I remember about the experience was that they played 'Ice Ice Baby' over...and over...and over. There too--though this is certainly changing, especially in the cities--it isn't uncommon to encounter people who are under the impression that most African-Americans are criminals, or can only muster giggles in response to Western female travelers' complaints of being groped in the street (because everyone knows that's how male-female relations work in our part of the world, right?). Over the years my response to this kind of thing has shifted from uncomprehending incredulity, to grudging anticipation, to slowly coming to grasp that like anyone else, they may interpret the behaviors (and 'subtler' stuff like implied archetypes, etc.) seen in foreign films and TV in light of what such behaviors and archetypal associations might signal in their own performative culture. A kiss is not just a kiss, a nuanced exploration of some 'social pathology' may be interpreted as a slyly winking celebration of it, and so on.

I don't think this has much to do with naming customs in the aforementioned tribal regions; those tend to be much less 'cosmopolitan' in terms of their exposure to Western pop culture. And as I said, like everything else in India, such perceptions are changing and changing fast. But for better and for worse, it's one of those things a traveler ought to come prepared for some possibility of.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:49 PM   #185
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:49 AM
One of the favorite parts of my job in the past years has been sorting through the mail sent out to our employees that comes back to our department as undeliverable ... and seeing the really bizarre or unfortunate names that some of them have.

My favorite is "Honey Love."
Old 06-24-2007, 11:28 PM   #186
Refugee

Local Time: 04:49 PM
There is a black girl at my job called Kizzy. I thought she was African, Ghanian maybe (if her name says anything), and she has the small-boned, unnaturally thin frame of an African--you have to see her-- but she has a completely American accent. I wonder though, if her mother just loved Alex Haley, or if she's really from Ghana? I feel funny asking her..I wonder if she knows what her name means.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #187
Blue Crack Addict

I read this this morning-now people are paying professional consultants to help name their babies

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1182...weekendjournal

"What's in a name?

Stress.

Sociologists and name researchers say they are seeing unprecedented levels of angst among parents trying to choose names for their children. As family names and old religious standbys continue to lose favor, parents are spending more time and money on the issue and are increasingly turning to strangers for help.

Some parents are checking Social Security data to make sure their choices aren't too trendy, while others are fussing over every consonant like corporate branding experts. They're also pulling ideas from books, Web sites and software programs, and in some cases, hiring professional baby-name consultants who use mathematical formulas."
Old 06-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #188
Blue Crack Addict

(AP) Knock-out name for baby girl

Sat Jun 23, 9:50 AM ET

Baby Autumn Brown has a name to live up - in fact she has over 25 of them.

The little girl's mother Maria, in keeping with her boxing-mad family's bizarre tradition, decided to give her 25 middle names - all culled from the greatest exponents inside the ring.

Her full name, which left register office staff in Perton, Wolverhampton reeling is: Autumn Sullivan Corbett Fitzsimmons Jeffries Hart Burns Johnson Willard Dempsey Tunney Schmeling Sharkey Carnera Baer Braddock Louis Charles Walcott Marciano Patterson Johansson Liston Clay Frazier Foreman Brown.

Maria told the city's Express and Star: "The whole thing came about because both my mum and dad are obsessed with boxing and have a bit of a daft sense of humour.

"When I was young I couldn't ever remember my name. It took me to the age of 10 to memorise it all."

The 33-year-old mother added: "I'm hoping Autumn has a good sense of humour with her name. It's never done me any harm though."
Old 06-27-2007, 12:24 AM   #189
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Her full name, which left register office staff in Perton, Wolverhampton reeling is: Autumn Sullivan Corbett Fitzsimmons Jeffries Hart Burns Johnson Willard Dempsey Tunney Schmeling Sharkey Carnera Baer Braddock Louis Charles Walcott Marciano Patterson Johansson Liston Clay Frazier Foreman Brown.

This reminds me of when I was little and wished my middle names were all the names of Thomas The Tank Engine characters. I grew out of thinking that's a good idea by the time I was six.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-27-2007, 02:45 AM   #190
The Fly

Well my Granny is from the South. Her name was Ruby, not unusual but her cousins were named Opal, Emerald, Pearlie (a boy) and Silbert and Bronzel. I just learned we have a cousin named America. Sad.....
Old 06-27-2007, 02:49 AM   #191
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:49 AM
I know someone named America also. She's from Mexico.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:50 AM   #192
Vocal parasite

Well, that would give a whole new meaning to being anti-America now, wouldn't it?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #193
Blue Crack Addict

I think America is a pretty name, probably since I'm such a fan of America Ferrera. I wouldn't want it for my own name just because it's so unusual and because some people could be jerks about it, but it has a positive connotation for me because of her.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 AM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bonocomet
I know someone named America also. She's from Mexico.
She's a Mexican America
Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 AM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think it's hilarious when the parents give their kids first names that, in themselves aren't really bad, but when paired with the last name looks horrible.

The name Harry isn't too horrble. But what if his last name is Dick? See, that's just cruel. Can you imagine being in the doc's waiting room and having the nurse come out and say "Harry Dick? The doctor is ready."

My friend and I were looking at these names in the online phone books and we were laughing our heads off.

Tags
baby names