Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
the earth will be fine.

we'll all be dead.

Yes, but there is hope
Old 10-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Maybe when we are having spring break at the North Pole with house boats, jet skis and film crews from Girls Gone Wild it will finally sink into Ardi's thick skull

Quote:
Shipping Could be Using Arctic Route Regularly in Ten Years

15 October 2009

ARCTIC – Following on from our previous stories concerning Beluga Shipping’s navigation of the North-East passage comes news that a recently conducted polar expedition to study ice conditions has concluded that the Arctic could be easily navigable for summer shipping in ten years and completely open in twenty.

In a speech delivered yesterday Professor Peter Wadhams of the Catlin Arctic Survey said that: “The Catlin Arctic Survey data supports the new consensus view - based on seasonal variation of ice extent and thickness, changes in temperatures, winds and especially ice composition - that the Arctic will be ice-free in summer within about 20 years, and that much of the decrease will be happening within 10 years.

“That means you'll be able to treat the Arctic as if it were essentially an open sea in the summer and have transport across the Arctic Ocean.”

The expedition found that the average thickness of the ice floes measured by the team was 1.8m, a depth considered too thin to survive the next summer.

While the news will no doubt inspire a flurry of concern over global warming and climate change, which are without doubt subjects that need to be taken seriously, on a purely practical note the apparently inevitable melting of the polar icecaps will considerably shorten a number of global trade routes, aiding in reducing shipping cost, prices and (ironically) emissions.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
This is an email forward that isn't exactly factual.
So

Old 10-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Maybe when we are having spring break at the North Pole with house boats, jet skis and film crews from Girls Gone Wild it will finally sink into Ardi's thick skull
First planet earth is not like someone's environmentally controlled house. Secondly planet earth has had warm periods before the industrial revolution. Thirdly if we are warming the planet shouldn't we know how much is man made and how much is natural before we act? Fourthly what are you doing about it? Changing light bulbs and driving hybrids don't do enough. Lastly if we act what are the consequences of world government, delayed development in the third world and increased energy bills?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Here's another evil denier:

YouTube - Lord Christopher Monckton Speaking in St. Paul

Slides:

http://www.friendsofscience.org/asse...ckton_2009.pdf
Old 10-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #53
Refugee

I never really understood the big debate over "Is Global Warming real?" or not. I personally believe it is, because, as others have stated, 99.9% of experts on the subject believe it is, and 0.01% of those who say it isn't aren't qualified to say so. But, even allowing for the possibility that the more severe recent fluctuations in heat are not human-activity caused, the major problems facing the Earth are unchanged.

The number 1 impending problem on Earth, in my opinion (and in the opinion of many experts, I might add) is not specifically global warming but rather the pressure the growing number of the planet's people, and the growing number of First-worlders in particular, are putting on the planet's available resources, which are largely being mismanaged.

In other words, there is a clear limit to how many people on Earth can have hugely wasteful, extravagant lifestyles, such as myself and 90% of people on this Forum have.

Consider that if China alone achieves First-World living standards -- which is its stated goal; and bear in mind its economy grows faster than any on Earth -- then the resource depletion on Earth to support First-world living standards will double. As many water, fishing and other resources are already largely depleted, that is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

The alternative to "letting" other parts of the world catch up to First Worlders is of course to deny them First-world standards, so that we can hog everything. Result? War and chaos.

So, I can't see any way out of complete impending chaos in the future, unless all the parts of the world find means by which to safely and responsibly manage the Earth's resources. That is the impending problem, more than global warming (which is more of a by-product of that problem -- obviously, these problems are all related).

So, unless we can collectively stop cutting down the forests, stop over-fishing what is left in the rivers and oceans, stop irresponsible farming and clear-cutting that leads to soil erosion, stop wasting fossil fuels, etc., etc, then Global Warming is the least of our worries.

In any case, taking steps to reduce Global Warming is just common sense. It shouldn't require a doomsday scenario to motivate governments to encourage resource responsibility, but it does.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well I think to save time the video I posted contains a different premise and using the current fuel we have (including nuclear) will probably be necessary because we need TIME before we can find a renewable source. I don't think it's moral to call all our lives "extravagent" when we all DEMAND high quality healthcare and education at the same time. If we all are on the wrong direction it's probably because we are animals and it's in our interest to go in this direction and adapting would be much better and more realistic than a brutal forced diet in the middle of a recession. It would turn into a depression if we followed cap and trade and closed down jobs. Cap and trade has been a failure in Europe and also you shouldn't expect that China and India will give a crap about our attitude that they must stop growth. China and India are going to grow no matter how many lightbulbs we change and prius's we drive. People are okay with climate change laws until the economic results hit, then you will see a backlash.

One of the graphs in the slides is made by geologists and it shows in the Pre-Cambrian period with a much higher C02 rate than there is now and not a much higher temperature. Then when you add the positive vs. negative feedback of clouds you can see there is a lot to debate yet. I seriously have a problem with the idea that we need to scare people into making changes. When scientist alarmists are proven wrong (over decades by now) on past alarms (Malthusian overpopulation/Global cooling) the public will probably need even more scaring each time precisely because alarmists can't be taken seriously after all their past exagerrations.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #55
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:45 AM
But why are you basing your beliefs on Prince Charles and Alarmists? You are taking the extreme and doing the opposite extreme... how is that logical? The majority are not alarmist and agree on a lot of common ground, why do you choose to ignore them?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:45 AM
When I worked for Peter Garrett, the hardest thing most callers had trouble with was the term global warming. I genuinely had people call me and say "Peter Garrett is a lier, he is full of shit because it is the middle of summer and it is 12 degrees."

First line of that article and I didnt bother with the rest. Just because it is called global warming doesnt mean your temperature will rise. Fuck
Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #57
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
When I worked for Peter Garrett,
THE Peter Garrett?

He's one of my heroes!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
THE Peter Garrett?

He's one of my heroes!!!
Yeah, our Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts, until a month ago I was the admin guy in the office. I left to get a job with more sane hours, and to talk to more sane people on the phone!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:45 AM
Popular electro-pop artist 'Muscles' is also our minister for customs and import duties, you may be interested to know.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Yeah, our Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts, until a month ago I was the admin guy in the office. I left to get a job with more sane hours, and to talk to more sane people on the phone!
Very cool. Does he still write or sing in any form?