Against Law to hold bible study? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 05:51 PM
Against Law to hold bible study?

i just heard on the news that a pastor has to apply for a permit to hold bible study in his home..it may be in california im not sure..be great if anyone could get me the link to this story

Old 05-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:51 PM
"Ask and ye shall receive."

Quote:
San Diego officials question pastor about permits for home Bible study

San Diego, Calif., May 30, 2009 / 10:24 am (CNA).- A California pastor and his wife have claimed that San Diego County officials asked intrusive religious questions and threatened them with fines because of a weekly Bible study in their home. The incident has prompted a national religious freedom organization to reiterate its willingness to assist anyone in a similar situation.

County officials had responded to a complaint about overflow parking by guests at a monthly dinner and Bible study held at the Pastor David Jones’ Bonita, California house for the past five years. A friend who was visiting a neighbor of the Joneses complained about the parking overflow.

Pastor Jones told KGTV San Diego that a county code enforcement officer had asked his wife Mary for details about the meetings.

"She said, 'Do you say amen?' and my wife said, 'Well, yes,'" Jones said.

"And she said, 'Do you say praise the Lord?’ she said, 'Well, yes but what does that have to with it?'"

Chandra Wallar of the county’s land use and environment group told KGTV it was the officer’s job to determine what kind of event was being hosted to decide what part of county code the event falls under.

Wallar said Bible studies are “probably in a very gray area,” adding that authorities want to ensure that parking is safe and does not block access to fire trucks or police vehicles.

Attorneys for Jones told KGTV it appeared that the county was backing away from its original warning issued in April.

The written warning to Jones noted an “unlawful use of land” and ordered him to stop hosting “religious assemblies.”

"They can stop religious activities in the courthouses and that but they're trying to stop prayer in my house," Jones complained.

Eric Rassbach, National Litigation Director at the Becket Fund, claimed in a statement that San Diego County had brought “KGB tactics” to Southern California.

"Government agents have no place questioning American citizens about how they choose to worship in their own home."

"Unfortunately this case is not all that unusual,” he added, saying “local zoning apparatchiks” across the U.S. try to shut down home-based Christian Bible studies and Jewish prayer meetings “all the time.”

“People of faith should know that federal civil rights law protects against this kind of government intrusion into matters of conscience, and the Becket Fund is ready to help,” he said.

San Diego officials question pastor about permits for home Bible study

Old 05-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 05:51 PM
thanks deep
Old 05-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:51 PM
Sounds like we have some power hungry code enforcers...
Old 05-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Prelude to the power hungry speech code enforcers.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
"They can stop religious activities in the courthouses and that but they're trying to stop prayer in my house," Jones complained.
You can pray all you want, dude, just quit blocking the streets while you do it.

This is not a religious issue, this is just the Christian right once again trying to claim they're being discriminated against (because apparently the only good discrimination, in their eyes, is when they're doing the discriminating.)

We had a very similar issue in my town, except it had nothing to do with a church or prayer meetings... parents picking up their children from an elementary school were daily blocking streets and congesting traffic.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:51 PM
Yeah, my college house was threatened by the neighborhood association because all the previous tenants had parked way too many cars on the street and right up to the corner (not cool for visibility, or the firestation that is right there).
Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Prelude to the power hungry speech code enforcers.

this sounds like a job for Carrie Prejean -- the prettiest Christian in America!
Old 05-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: Where the streets have no name, In God's Country, wherever he takes me, currently Seattle, WA
Local Time: 02:51 PM
Personally this goes against the US constitution I've done bible studies in home for a long time there is nothing wrong with it if they want to start complaining about blocking the street then they would have to do that to anyone that does something at their house, bday parties, bbq's etc. Stupid if you tell me
Old 05-30-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by floweravalanche View Post
Personally this goes against the US constitution I've done bible studies in home for a long time there is nothing wrong with it if they want to start complaining about blocking the street then they would have to do that to anyone that does something at their house, bday parties, bbq's etc. Stupid if you tell me
How do you know they don't?

Two examples have already been posted in this thread, from myself and Liesje. This is a traffic issue, not a religious issue. People are just reading into it what they want so they can get their panties in a twist. It wouldn't even be newsworthy if people didn't start screaming "religious persecution!" over something that has nothing to do with either.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Carpool. Problem solved.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:29 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: Where the streets have no name, In God's Country, wherever he takes me, currently Seattle, WA
I think it wouldn't have gotten into a realgouis attack if the officer didn't ask, do you say amen and do you say praise God, could of just ask can you please dont have so many people or have it somewhere else or something. Like I said before I go to bible studies at homes it's nothing more then a few friends getting together, reading their bible, etc. No different then a book club etc.

I'm not getting my panties in a bunch I'm just stating facts of how I feel. Christian or not doesn't matter, it's the matter how the situation was approached, but stating it was unlaw use of land etc is BS if you ask me.

There are two things going on here in my opinion personal attacks and a concern of safety because of the "traffic" but I never had problems when I went to bible studies. But yeah whatever.

But we don't have to be having personal attacks in this fourm over it.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:33 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Carpool. Problem solved.
It's not that simple, some leave earlier then others, family emergencies, etc. Some probably do car pool I know I do sometimes, but some can't for emergency reasons etc
Old 05-31-2009, 12:34 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
this sounds like a job for Carrie Prejean -- the prettiest Christian in America!

I remember people saying she needs to "just shut up" but who did she try to silence?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:54 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by floweravalanche View Post
Personally this goes against the US constitution
So the Constitution protects lazy college kids who violate city codes and block in fire tucks? We have the right to assemble and get drunk!!!

Block parties are really common around here but they are arranged with the city well in advance and they actually come out and block off the streets for parking.

Not saying I agree with freaking out about the parking situation but this definitely has nothing to do with Bible studies/Christianity.